Putting a "hold" on a radio?

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
So Sirius can put "holds" on radios, right?

How exactly does that work?

Is the subscription ending date extended?
Do I get money back and then not have to pay an activation fee when I take the hold off?

JoeTan

Oct 14, 2008
simpsons_nelson_haha2.jpg

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
Thanks for being unhelpful and assuming you know the whole story when you don't.

And who even said this was even an option? Maybe I was just curious to know how the process worked.

hank-the-dwarf

Oct 12, 2008
Baltimore Md
They did it for me the first time i canceled, it was put on hold for 3 months just in case i wanted to come back so that i wouldn't be charged an activation fee a second time. Did you try and cancel ?

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
I have this one radio that I use only on occasion, and if I were to cancel that radio, what my optons would consist of. It's nice having two, but I really could get by with one.

My Starmate 4, which is the secondary radio is what I am considering doing something with. I have it by my bed and use it regularly, but I could subsitute a stiletto with computer speakers...or the SL2 with the SUBX1 boombox. It's not recommended, but it can actually work.

I have the Starmate 4, because when I take Sirius into public once a week, it looks a bit nicer than a SL2 with computer speakers. Since I'm only in this public situation once a week during the academic year, I may put a hold on it during the summer.

In late summer, when I go back to using it, it'd be nice not to have to pay an activation fee.

VinnyM27

Oct 14, 2008
I think they did this for me but I never took the offer to get a new second radio. That being said, when my primary radio broke, I asked if they could put my account on hold but the guy was....well, he worked for Sirus, and they never did it. I got a new radio rather quickly, but I did end up paying during a week when I couldn't listen.

I believe they can put your radio on hold. What you seem to be asking for, though, sounds different. Putting a radio on hold for a while....not sure but why not ask them.

Blitz71

Oct 12, 2008
Elizabethtown, PA
www.myspace.com
My sons radio was stolen from his car about a month ago. I called to cancel his radio and the CS person said she could put his account on hold for, I think she said, two months.

It sucked because we got it for him for Christmas and he was really into it. Then some punk broke in and stole it. Some people suck!!!

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
I have this one radio that I use only on occasion, and if I were to cancel that radio, what my optons would consist of. It's nice having two, but I really could get by with one.

My Starmate 4, which is the secondary radio is what I am considering doing something with. I have it by my bed and use it regularly, but I could subsitute a stiletto with computer speakers...or the SL2 with the SUBX1 boombox. It's not recommended, but it can actually work.

I have the Starmate 4, because when I take Sirius into public once a week, it looks a bit nicer than a SL2 with computer speakers. Since I'm only in this public situation once a week during the academic year, I may put a hold on it during the summer.

In late summer, when I go back to using it, it'd be nice not to have to pay an activation fee.

I don't think they have anything official but call the CSR and say you need to cancel a radio until August. They may accomodate a hold, give you some free months, or nothing. If nothing, there will probably be a promo which will allow re-subscription without the activation fee.

Nov 9, 2008
nj
Stolen radio policy

My sons radio was stolen from his car about a month ago. I called to cancel his radio and the CS person said she could put his account on hold for, I think she said, two months.

It sucked because we got it for him for Christmas and he was really into it. Then some punk broke in and stole it. Some people suck!!!

the Stolen radio policy SUCKS!

macfanatic010

Nov 8, 2008
What is the stolen radio policy? I know when I had a car plug and play, I never kept in that there! That being said....my wallet was stolen because I left it in my coat pocket at work!

prior to the merger, XM's policy was that if you called customer service and reported your radio as stolen, XM will flag that radio in the system so that nobody can reactivate it. the only exception is if you called in again and reported that the radio was recovered...then they will reactivate it for your account.

Sirius' policy, on the other hand, was to activate radios regardless of whether it was stolen or not. Their reasoning was that they did not want a person who unknowingly buys a stolen radio to have to deal with a burden just to get the radio activated.

Here's a video report regarding their policy: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAqLUyzjLeU]YouTube - SIRIUS Satellite Radio reactivating stolen radios[/ame]

snakester

Oct 29, 2008
Lovely Seacost NH
They did it for me the first time i canceled, it was put on hold for 3 months just in case i wanted to come back so that i wouldn't be charged an activation fee a second time. Did you try and cancel ?

Watch out, they can very easily screw that process up. I did it when I cancelled Sirius when the channel merger happened, just in case there were going to be differences between the services that they hadn't annouced yet. Long story short I got charged $12.95 the next month and had to call and get it straightened out.

spaceghost

Jan 20, 2009
So Sirius can put "holds" on radios, right?

How exactly does that work?

Is the subscription ending date extended?
Do I get money back and then not have to pay an activation fee when I take the hold off?

Yes they do actually. Call and ask to have your service placed on a temporary (2months) or seasonal hold (5-6 months) It will extend the date of your service... it picks up where you left off so no time is lost.. however.. What this does is places the remainder of the credit you have left from your service and places it on your account.. so if you have another radio it will use that credit and when you go to remove your service from the hold you will have to pay for whatever time you have left.

Hope this helps. :agree:

spaceghost

Jan 20, 2009
prior to the merger, XM's policy was that if you called customer service and reported your radio as stolen, XM will flag that radio in the system so that nobody can reactivate it. the only exception is if you called in again and reported that the radio was recovered...then they will reactivate it for your account.

Sirius' policy, on the other hand, was to activate radios regardless of whether it was stolen or not. Their reasoning was that they did not want a person who unknowingly buys a stolen radio to have to deal with a burden just to get the radio activated.

Here's a video report regarding their policy: YouTube - SIRIUS Satellite Radio reactivating stolen radios

About that video... yeah.. SIRIUS' policy on stolen radios is ridiculous... it makes me mad when a customer calls to report a stolen radio and they ask me what i'm gonna do... and all i can say is well we can close it so you aren't paying for their service... and SIRIUS Canada's policy is much better however. The have Stolen radio accounts... so all stolen radios are activated on an account.. but on a service that has no stations... so at least they cannot use it when it's stolen.