Phil Hendrie

geosync

Oct 13, 2008
Portland, Or
I agree, overnights would be great. I wouldn't ever have to turn on the old Zenith 8 transistor AM radio on anymore. Even though it sounds great.

almaniac27

Nov 12, 2008
Kent, Ohio
He's on overnights in my area on WHLO and also tape-delayed on a station in nearby Youngstown, so I've been listening when I can't sleep or I'm up in the middle of the night for other college-related reasons. He is back to doing the character comedy bits, but they are too political in my opinion. Every topic seems to be about Obama or something. I can see why Hendrie does it, politics are very partisan these days and it gets people riled up easily, but I don't enjoy his new bits as much as the old ones.

Nov 12, 2008
I fired off an email to Sirius XM. I didn't know any of the contacts, so I used Scott Greenstein's.

Phil Hendrie has recently returned his show to a comedy format, and listeners couldn't be happier. Phil's show was a part of XM during his time at Premiere Radio, but left the satellite airwaves after his initial retirement, and hasn't returned since. XM listeners would love to hear him back, and I'm sure Sirius listeners would too, as there is little live overnight programming on Sirius. Phil is admired by many talk radio hosts including Mark Levin, Rush Limbaugh, and Howard Stern. Sirius XM Stars Too would be the best place on Sirius XM for his show. Overnights on that channel are currently reruns.

Phil's show is syndicated by Talk Radio Network FM, and is available for free to affiliates under a barter basis, with 4 network minutes, and I believe 12:10 local minutes. It runs from 1 AM to 4 AM Eastern time, 10 PM to 1 AM Pacific time, and refeeds for another two hours.

drdroo

#1 by Women 18-24
Staff member
Oct 9, 2008
Bangor, ME USA
I do think a FM simulcast would be a great thing for SiriusXM. I do think an exclusive show or anything like that would be bad if only because the callers wouldn't be the same.

Satellite Radio is an intentional subscription. The best calls are the ones where the person just happens to be listening to the show because they're up late.

Nov 12, 2008
I found out from another board that Clear Channel attempted to add Phil's show to one of their XM talkers, but they don't have any live slots open, so they can't run him live. They tried to get TRN to let them run the show on a tape delay, but TRN wouldn't allow it.

Nov 12, 2008
Syndicators have been known to apply double standards when it comes to satellite radio. Sometimes they'll mandate a live timeslot on satrad as a tactic to pressure local affiliates which tape delay the show to move it to a live slot, as many will select their local affiliate over satellite.

The landscape has changed a lot in regards to the relationships between syndicated radio producers and satellite radio. Back in the day, when satellite radio was getting off the ground, local station groups were fighting back against the syndicators who were offering their shows to satellite radio by yanking shows off the air. 95% of AM based syndicated talk shows are offered to stations (including satellite) for free, in exchange for a number of advertising minutes on the station. That really annoyed the local stations, since it was so easy for satellite to play the show and compete with the locals. Where the locals lost is they weren't ready to yank the ratings sensations like Sean Hannity, and their satcasts stayed put. Eventually, the locals realized that satellite carriage wasn't hurting their ratings, so the revolts quieted and the syndicators began offering more programming to satellite, to the point where they're using the tactic above.

However, some syndicators, like CBS Radio and Westwood One, still forbid satellite radio from carrying their shows. I believe Cox Radio is in the same boat.

Nov 12, 2008
Tonight's show has been great. Margaret Grey's on, just being her cunty self, and Steve Bosell came on next, and he always brings out the pissed callers.