Phil Hendrie

geosync

Oct 13, 2008
Portland, Or
Anyone been catching Hendrie's show of late? He still does a little comedy at the end of the hours, but the first 2 or 3 segments is some hard core political/world issues discussion. I flip him on before bed, and it seems every night he's getting into it with a caller that disagrees with his viewpoints on whatever the subject of the day is. What's most interesting to me having listened to him back when it was all comedy and barely any overt political discussion, is he's letting callers stay on and argue/discuss for a very long time. I surf the talk channels at work, and try to take in as much as possible on all sides of the discussion, and I'm not finding anything as honest, or productive as his show right now. Too bad he's doing overnights on AM stations. He needs to get a better time slot.

drdroo

#1 by Women 18-24
Staff member
Oct 9, 2008
Bangor, ME USA
He was on FM here originally before some sort of situation resulted in his hiatus for a year or so. He was also on XM when that show was on. He then later came back.

I pay for his online streaming account thing. My problem is Phil isn't always willing to wrap his head around what people are trying to say. The callers sometimes have a good idae, but they suck at trying to convey it. He goes after them about it.

As it goes, I usually try to catch the show live while I work overnights here.

I actually miss the old Phil show by the way. I can get pissy political stuff anywhere, but his talent of taking a daily news article, taking the wrong side of it, and getting a ton of angry calls arguing with his character was quite awesome.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
He was on FM here originally before some sort of situation resulted in his hiatus for a year or so. He was also on XM when that show was on. He then later came back.

I pay for his online streaming account thing. My problem is Phil isn't always willing to wrap his head around what people are trying to say. The callers sometimes have a good idae, but they suck at trying to convey it. He goes after them about it.

As it goes, I usually try to catch the show live while I work overnights here.

I actually miss the old Phil show by the way. I can get pissy political stuff anywhere, but his talent of taking a daily news article, taking the wrong side of it, and getting a ton of angry calls arguing with his character was quite awesome.

I think originally he wanted to go Hollywood. He was on some awful sitcom on NBC that barely lasted one season, then tried a few other things before eventually returning to radio (where he belongs).

geosync

Oct 13, 2008
Portland, Or
Yeah, he retired hoping to get into television. He did go pretty far right for a while, but seems is moving somewhere towards the middle these days. I do miss the old bits that would last 2 or 3 good segments, but I got over it.

kingchuck69

Joker! Joker! Joker!
Oct 11, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
chuck69.com
Yeah, he retired hoping to get into television. He did go pretty far right for a while, but seems is moving somewhere towards the middle these days. I do miss the old bits that would last 2 or 3 good segments, but I got over it.

Yeah, I remember that show he did for NBC that lasted maybe three episodes where I think he played a schoolteacher. He also did voices for Futurama and King of the Hill.

kc1ih

Oct 16, 2008
Hudson, Florida
In Boston he's on WTKK (96.9), 1 AM to 5 AM on weekdays. I don''t know about other cities, but I think most stations do have him on the overnight. He recently gave up on doing the serious stuff and went back to doing mostly his comedy bits.

drdroo

#1 by Women 18-24
Staff member
Oct 9, 2008
Bangor, ME USA
Phil hasn't been in the Bangor market since he re-launched his show, so I watch him on his video webcast on his website at PhilHendrieShow.com . It costs, but it's worth it just for the banter during commercial breaks.

WWRL (amongst others) stream the show for free during his 'normal' slot of 1a-4a Eastern Time.

Rube

Nov 1, 2009
Phil is back to doing his OLD comedy show. Phil never became another RUSH. He is and always has been a political satirists and uses irony to get his points across. He takes as many shots at the Tea Part brigade as he does the Obama kool aide drinkers. He encourages people to be free thinkers and pushes no political agenda. When he came back to radio and went with a more political driven show it was listeners who tried to box him in and define him as another right wing talk show guy, when in fact the whole time he was anti-Glenn beck and he even took shots at Rush. His political ideas do not fit into a easily definable box. His show is the theatre of the absurd.

geosync

Oct 13, 2008
Portland, Or
I agree with Rube. He's on from like 10-1 here in Portland, and I have noticed he is back to the comedy bits of late. I was really digging the political/events of the day discussion style he'd been doing, and haven't tuned in much for the comedy. I heard all those bits years ago when he was on before.

shabadoo25

Oct 12, 2008
His classic bits that I will never forget:

1. Bobby Dooley arguing that a wounded Iraq vet should have to have a human sized doggy door installed on his house instead of a handicap ramp per their CC and Rs.

2. The woman who had written a book that Nicole Simpson sawed her own head off from being distraught over killing Ron Goldman for bringing her the wrong sunglasses. With her dying breath, she threw the knife down the sewer.

3. The steakhouse owner (forget the name now) who wanted you to come down and pick a baked potato off of his potato Christmas tree.

shabadoo25

Oct 12, 2008
Ted Bell from Ted's of Beverly Hills, home of the tin-foil wrapped baked potato... :)

I knew the name ended in Bell, couldn't remember Ted.

Ted also liked to brag how he would kick Tiger Woods' ass in golf as long as his 36 handicap was included in the score.

geosync

Oct 13, 2008
Portland, Or
Ted's of Beverly Hills . . . we wanna put our meat in your mouth!!! Great jingle. He would always brag about playing 18 down at Cheviot Hills GC there in southern california, doing terrible things in the Andy Gump's on the course.

drdroo

#1 by Women 18-24
Staff member
Oct 9, 2008
Bangor, ME USA
Supposedly RC Collins was 'killed off' sometime before his previous show ended. I hope he makes a comeback.

I didn't like the political show as much as the character show. You can get politics on the radio anywhere.

Nov 12, 2008
Now that he's back to comedy, it would be nice if Sirius XM could find a place for him again. XM used to play him on Extreme Talk 152 when he was with Premiere Radio. I think he'd be good for overnights on Sirius XM Stars Too. All they have are reruns. Just Sirius could use more overnight programming anyway.