Pandora Mobile

Discussion in 'MOG, Pandora, Spotify, Rdio' started by DAB, Oct 9, 2008.

1. DAB

DAB Mod Emeritus

Pandora Mobile on my iPod Touch! Is there anyone else that has been using the Pandora Mobile Software? I tell you I have created myself one of the best new age/ ambient channels. I totally love it for use at the office or at home while going to sleep at night.

I am really waiting to see if Starplyr actually gets their software setup for SIRIUS/XM. I would totally be interested in this, because it would allow me to have the best of all worlds on my iPod Touch!

2. MM

MM Administrator

I just put this on my iPhone the other day. I can not believe how awesome it is.

3. Evil_Ernie

Evil_Ernie Smell my finger

I've had it on my iPhone the day 2.0 became available with the App Store. Very cool app!!

I have a bunch of death/black/thrash metal channels on mine.

4. Heather

Heather Member

I also use it on my iPod Touch. There is a last.fm app too that works well.

5. mrpacs

mrpacs Well-Known Member

I'll have to check this out. Sounds awesome.

6. Grüpsaar

Grüpsaar DRC Forum Bum

This is the kind of thing that makes me want an ipod touch. Just for these sort of apps. This along with sirius online players and more makes me want one. I'll break down soon enough.

7. MM

MM Administrator

Or you can get an iPhone and have one device. :D

8. mrpacs

mrpacs Well-Known Member

That's what I have! Question: Using Pandora affect my minutes used?

Last edited: Oct 12, 2008
  9. MM

MM Administrator

Nope because you are using Edge, 3G, or wifi to use it.

10. DAB

DAB Mod Emeritus

No minutes, the use come out of your data plan. So, if you have an unlimited data plan you are okay. Now if you have a limited data plan where they charge you for going over. You may want to look at upgrading to an unlimited plan.

11. Grüpsaar

Grüpsaar DRC Forum Bum

If I could afford it, I'd get an iphone, but right now I need to wait out my current contract anyway. Maybe down the road, I'll invest in one. But right now, I need to focus on getting money again! I've been jobless for a month so I later this week I start work again. Then I can throw some money away every so often. :p

12. MM

MM Administrator

I believe that iPhones in the US are all unlimited data.

13. DAB

DAB Mod Emeritus

Well that would totally make sense. Since I don't have AT&T I really have not kept up with the exact plans and specific details.

14. stumpy

stumpy Guest

I just put Pandora on my iPhone.... wow. Why didn't I do this sooner????

I'm a Pandora newb so any tips and tricks are appreciated. I'm gonna have fun experimenting with this.

15. hank-the-dwarf

hank-the-dwarf Well-Known Member

One thing you can do to really fine tune your stations is once you create one instead of adding an artist type in the songs name and it will look for other songs with similar traits.If you dont like a song give it a thumbs down and it wont play it on that station ever again.

16. MikeV

MikeV Member

I've seen all the great reviews of Pandora and everything, so I figured I'd give it a shot and downloaded it from the App store to my iPhone, and in minutes I made myself a rock/classic rock "station" that I'm extremely happy with! I've been listening to it all morning here at work (not via WiFi, 3G only) with no problems or hiccups.

I tried my luck at an alt-rock channel, and while it seems to have the artists/groups down based on what I've specified, the songs it's selecting aren't quite what I want. I suppose I should specify a few specific songs, as that might tell it more about what I'm looking for. I'll probably play with it more via the web when I get home this afternoon.

Of course without it storing music, it's only as good as the connection I have, and unfortunately there are times when I'm in EDGE-only areas without WiFi, so I still think a Slacker player might be my ideal... but it's cool to play with Pandora too.

17. mrpacs

mrpacs Well-Known Member

Works great at the gym on 3G. Can't use my Stiletto due to no WiFi or direct view of the sky. Makes me happy.

18. AZDude

AZDude Member

At what bitrate does Pandora use and what audio codec? Also can it be manually adjusted?

19. DAB

DAB Mod Emeritus

In Wifi mode if you have it set for the highest bit rate in the Pandora App then it will be 128kb stereo. If you don't it will go 64kb mono.

What codec they use I have no idea! It cannot be adjusted!

20. MNXMFan

MNXMFan Member

They use straight up MP3. Way back in the day, it used to cache the songs, so if you knew where they were saving to, you could have all the free music you could eat. Just find the file, rename it to whatever you want, and there you go.

A later version of that, of course, fixed this.