Only one jazz station coming?

Discussion in 'Jazz, Blues, Standards, Ambient' started by Tgajr, Nov 10, 2008.

1. Tgajr

Tgajr Member

It looks like from that USA today ad there will be only one Jazz station? How can that be?

2. Derek

Derek Member

The USA Today ad wasn't all encompassing, just highlighting some channels. If you notice, there were only 30-some music channels listed. A poster at xmfan.com claims to have inside info on the lineups, and it appears there will be a traditional jazz channel and a smooth jazz channel.

3. Tgajr

Tgajr Member

Really? This is all I see.

JAZZ/BLUES/LIFESTYLE
    70 – Real Jazz
    71 – Watercolors
    72 – Spa*~
    73 – SIRIUSLY Sinatra*
    74 – BB King’s Bluesville
    75 – On Broadway~
    76 – Cinemagic~

4. Derek

Derek Member

Oh yeah, Watercolors is XM's smooth jazz channel. Odd name, but so were/are a lot of XM names.

5. semipenguin

semipenguin Bum Looker

Watercolors is the best. You're going to enjoy it...:)

6. Geronimo

Geronimo New Member

I miss having a station like Beyond Jazz. I suspect that Real Jazz will really bea rebranding of Sirius' Pure Jazz and have some new jazz and some traditional.

I am disappointed but hey it is still beter than the FM dial.

7. DAB

DAB Mod Emeritus

Watercolors is much better than the Sirius smooth Jazz channel. I am glad they did get Watercolors on Sirius. Good Move !

8. MadisonRadio1

MadisonRadio1 MadisonRadio

But it is nice that Watercolors makes reference to the Jazz Cafe in some of it's promo jingles.

9. semipenguin

semipenguin Bum Looker

The hosts on Watercolors do an excellent job, IMHO. It's nice to hear them again and I'm happy that they decided to keep it and get ride of Jazz Cafe...:)

10. kryptonite

kryptonite Well-Known Member

I still want Planet Jazz. :(

11. semipenguin

semipenguin Bum Looker

Sorry...:(

Can't say I ever listened to Planet Jazz. Other genres have lost channels, too. Hip Hop lost Backspin. The Spanish Music channels took it in the shorts.

Maybe they can bring it back later. We can always hope...:)

12. Derek

Derek Member

I ws very upset too. That was the main reason I picked up a Slacker player.

13. kryptonite

I'm not about to lose sleep over the loss of Planet Jazz, but it was a nice channel to listen to on Sundays.

They have to pay for everything they play right? This is probably why it's not online then. :( If not, why didn't they make it online only?

14. XF_Honeycomb

XF_Honeycomb New Member

I miss planet jazz too. I was hoping since the merger we would get XM's beyond jazz. It was also a acid jazz/ fusion genre. But looks like we all got boned on that.

15. fuzzy dunlop

fuzzy dunlop New Member

definately..that was one killer station!

16. xan_user

xan_user Banned

too bad if its true.

I know another few sub that will be canceling if its true...

More Jazz choices than local radio offered, was why they signed up in the first place.

17. kryptonite

Cancelling if what is true?

(Keep in mind this is a thread from November, so I would think anything from then would have already happened.)

18. xan_user

xan_user Banned

oh -my bad i thought more choice was leaving..:eek: thx for the kind correction.

My jazz friends are way up north, and I dont usually ask how they like their satrad when we talk. I just know they signed up for jazz and always wanted more jazz stations.

Now Im curious how they like the line up post merger, and will def' ask next time for sure.