Oldest Satellite Radio Ever?

Discussion in 'Sirius Radios' started by JoeTan, Nov 10, 2008.

1. JoeTan

JoeTan Well-Known Member

Anyone have a pic of what this product looks like?

2. ClubSteeler

ClubSteeler Member

3. Must be an original Sirius unit.

:hah:

4. Mopar86

Mopar86 Member

[​IMG]
    here's a good canidate....but i was a mid-late adopter, I cant remember ones before this

5. Mopar86

Mopar86 Member

a good place to find out is the patent office website

6. styckx

styckx Member

For Sirius I would have to guess the PNP1. It looks like it was built in someones garage for christ sakes

[​IMG]

For XM I would have to guess the Sony PNP

[​IMG]

7. macfanatic010

macfanatic010 Member

I remember seeing that when I was in middle school & thinking it looked so cool and futuristic!

Now it just looks like a Pile Of Schtuff.

8. JoeTan

JoeTan Well-Known Member

what a nonsense design!

9. Was that Sony's only attempt at a satellite radio?

10. Grüpsaar

Grüpsaar DRC Forum Bum

11. AZJoe

AZJoe Member

My first Sirius receiver was the CB look-alike receiver Jenson SSR2000

Attached Files:

12. syphix

syphix Member

I have one of those sitting in my "Box 'o Cords & Shit" in the basement...my first satellite radio, and I got it for a steal: $99 through the "XM Friends & Family" program.

13. geosync

geosync Well-Known Member

Love that big dock/sleeve dealie. What a monster!! I've seen that one around the internets before, but never in person. Also, the Jensen, seen one of those with the big wires coming off of it running to the display. What a joke those things look like now.

14. JJS

JJS Member

The PNP1 was a 2003 model. The Jensen/Audiovox SSR2000 was available for Sirius from the start, in 2002. It's the one with the CB-like control/display module.

Audiovox Sirius SSR-2000 100-Channels Base CB Radio - Product details and features - DealTime

All the other original Sirius models as I recall were pure tuners with no display or controls. They required a same-brand "Sirius-ready" head unit. You know customers were breaking down the doors for those.

15. tbone

tbone Member

You did get if for a steal, I paid Circuit City $300 for that radio in 2002. That antenna was way too big, but had a very strong magnet. Also the wire was very thick so there was no sticking it in the molding like what is done today. I remember thinking wow 100 channels I will never hear all there is to hear. I wish mine still worked for sentimental reasons. I will buy yours for a good price, if it works.

16. almaniac27

almaniac27 Member

I just saw one of those Sony XM radios on Craigslist! I don't want it, but if anyone else here is in Cincinnati, that's where it is.

17. TX WJ

TX WJ Intelligent Donkey

[​IMG]

That was my first radio.

18. mch

mch Member

Oldest one I own:
    [​IMG]