OK XM, what are your future plans for The Village, Cinemagic and The Groove?

Discussion in 'SiriusXM Soundwave Cafe' started by Bandit 5160, Dec 31, 2008.

1. Bandit 5160

Bandit 5160 Member

I think XM should stop cowering in the corner and tell us what is REALLY going on with a couple of their channels. The Village has completely disappeared from their website. Not a trace of its existence is there. I fear it has quiety became a casulty, and XM hasn't the balls to openly just tell us so.

The Groove could also quiety be in trouble as the other XM-exclusive channel. Soul Town is slowly taking in some of its playlist. It could also quiety be headed for the chopping block on Jnuary 15.

Cinemagic is another channel that potentially might not survive. It is already not listed on DISH Network's Sirius listings anymore. But this could be nothing at all, or just a Sirius cut.

C'mon, XM, and grow a pair- let us know what's REALLY going on behind the scenes because I know that your minds have really already been made up.

I guess they're scared that a couple of people might panic and cancel if told the truth. I hope I'm wrong on all accounts and that these channels stay, but something tells me bandwidth might have reared its ugly head here.

2. DAB

DAB Mod Emeritus

I have a question for you? Why do you always call out XM? This hasn't anything to do with XM. In case you didn't know it XM or anyone that was at XM is no longer in charge of anything. This is all on Sirius, which just threw in the XM name at the end of their new name to kiss up to XM fans. But the fact is that Sirius management in CLEARLY in charge of ANY and ALL decision rather on XM or SIRIUS system.

3. Jleimer

Jleimer Active Member

I saw that the Groove is going to be on Sirius 81 appreantly , why the hell would Sirius put it at 81 when it could be in the 30's

4. JJS

JJS Member

Saw this where? Cinemagic is already up at Sirius 81. Flipped at midnight E.T., with the Theme from 2001. One more channel shakes out tonight, with the departure of Party City.

5. Bandit 5160

Bandit 5160 Member

I guess I just said "XM" because I have an XM radio now...I used to always call out Sirius when I had their radio. I've got to get used to saying Sirius-XM. But I do wish we got more information from them. A weekly newsletter telling us what was in the future as far as channel adds and deletions, new shows, specials, sports play-by-play times and locations, and schedule changes would be very nice! The Sirius and XM websites often aren't accurate or up to date.

6. Jleimer

Jleimer Active Member

The dish network EPG I noticed it , and thought it was bizzare.

7. wafflejuice

wafflejuice New Member

It's The Strobe, not The Groove the Dish EPG says is coming to Cinemagic's slot. Whether this is just for Dish Network or also for Sirius/XM radios I don't know.

8. kryptonite

kryptonite Well-Known Member

There is the "Behind the Mic" but I think that's Sirius-exclusive.

9. DAB

DAB Mod Emeritus

Yeah, I understand the confusion and this has been a big transition for all of us. I really wish they would just combine the web sites that would help so that we could get the most up to date and accurate info possible across both systems. It makes sense to put all your effort into a single site.

It does seem that The Villiage will be back tonight at midnight, but I guess we'll find out then. :)

Anyway... I wasn't fussing at you, just curious as to why you always called XM because right now Sirius is the DAWG we need to call on everything! LOL

10. goreds2

goreds2 Well-Known Member

I think the real reason why is that they did not want to confuse the consumer if he or she would see an XM radio receiver with that name on it. This would prevent them from thinking XM no longer exists so that device does not work. Mel said this was especially done for new car buyers which had the XM name on the built in receiver.

Mel either said this at a press conference or on O & A. (maybe both)

11. DAB

DAB Mod Emeritus

Ahh... well that makes sense, I had not really thought about it that way. Though there is a lot of folks that think at some point they will drop the XM from the name and it will just go back to being Sirius Radio. I think they have already start dropping the sat from the name, so it is basically Sirius XM Radio already. I know all the press releases now say that.

12. Bandit 5160

Bandit 5160 Member

I really don't think that Sirius would put the Strobe on 81 where Cinemagic is now. That would not make sense. It will go back on 37 where it was before-and Cinemagic SHOULD stay on 81! But as squeezed as Sirius seems to be for bandwidth, I'm guessing that the decision may have already been made to axe Ciemagic on Sirius right along with Pop 2K on the 15th so that the Strobe and Backspin can return. Of course, Sirius will not be notifying its subcribers of anything. They'll just wake up on the 15th and POOF! these channls are gone. I guess the woprst part istha the millionof subscribers to Sirus who DON'T read this board hve absolutely NO CLUE that they might be about to lose these channels. Meanwhile, nothing will be cut from XM, meaning that Cinemagic, Pop2K, The Village, and The Groove will all be XM exclusives (not to mention the Clear Channel music channels, which, can play some good music at times despite the commercials). XM is the way to go now-for sure! More and more, my choice to switch is being vindicated!

13. DAB

DAB Mod Emeritus

I hope you are wrong about this, but you may not be. My decision to go with XM and let my Sirius tuner go appears to have been a smart one. If Sirius could just dump that damn backseat video they would have bandwidth to add these music channels with no sweat. Oh well, I guess we won't know what they are going to do for a couple of weeks, but as you said it appears that they won't tell us anything until they just do it.

14. Dragline

Dragline Member

Speaking of "backseat video", what's the deal with that? You don't hear much about it anymore. Was it successful? Or, did it go bust? If it's truly eating into the bandwidth of Sirius' radio services, I wish they'd drop it. The sound quality on the music channels sucks, and it sounds like they may be getting rid of Cinemagic only 15 days after adding it. I'm currently on a 6 month "free" subscription on my factory radio, and don't know if I'll subscriber again once it runs out. (Before that, I was a subscriber for 4 years on one of the old Xact units.) I just figured the poor sound quality was due to using the FM transmitter on the Xact, but even with a factory installed receiver it sounds like crap. In fact, I think it may be worse than before. Everything else in the car sounds great (CDs, MP3s via a flash drive, etc.), so it's definitely Sirius.

15. DAB

DAB Mod Emeritus

In my opinion the Backseat Video has been a flop, but apparently they have a contract to provide it for Chrysler so don't count on it going away. In a recent past conversation I got the impression from Mel that he'd love to drop it, but I am assuming they can't just do that without a lawsuit.

It would be nice if they could reclaim that bandwidth. There are a few on the forum that have the Backseat Video service that say it is good. Personally it has never interested me and I don't very many outside of OEM have bought many of them.

In regards to SQ, I have XM and I am please with the SQ in my company and personal vehicle through factory premium head units. Now when I compare the SQ to other things oh yeah there is a difference no doubt about it. That has almost always been the case though.

16. GreenHornet99

GreenHornet99 Member

They need to keep the websites separate for their Canadian subsidiaries Sirius Canada and XM Canada as they are in a total war for subscribers. Everyone assumed Sirius Canada would take over XM Canada because they have been winning the subscriber war due to Howard Stern. The President of XM canada refuses to give up the fight and contine to advertise and promote their service very actively. I think XM Canada could win this war longterm if Howard retires in 2 years as he has been hinting recently.

17. hexagram

hexagram Medicinal & Recreational.

Mobile TV belongs to DirecTV or EchoStar.

[​IMG]

http://www.orbitcast.com/archives/directv-deliver.html

It wasn't SIRIUS' job to enter that market, their market is satellite radio and only that. What they SHOULD HAVE done was try and enter a partnership with DirecTV or Echostar to broadcast their channels, which would use THEIR spectrum, not ours.

Also, I'm not even sure if they should bother with travel link, marine and traffic either (the audio channels are fine the way they are). If it saves significant bandwidth to get rid of either service, then they should go. But I say Backseat TV is the first thing they should get rid of (along with single artist channels).

Last edited: Jan 4, 2009
  18. DAB

DAB Mod Emeritus

No they don't those companies should have their own web sites and not be depending on Sirius XM to keep separate web sites.

I believe we are going to see a combined web site sooner rather than later.