New TV! Finally!!

Discussion in 'Gadget Corner' started by hyson, Jan 17, 2013.

1. hyson

hyson Forum Jerk

My old 32" Samsung's power board bit the dust the other day, prompting me and Misses to buy this little number.

VIZIO 55

It's a damn fine TV but I hope to fix the old Samsung, as I have a new power supply board coming in mail.

This new tv, however, is smarter than I am.

2. memebag

memebag Top Brass, ADVP

I'll tell you what I tell all my dates: "Here's 23 more inches of what you love!"

scotchandcigar likes this.
  3. MAJ Badmotherfarker

MAJ Badmotherfarker is drinking a beer.

It's amazing how cheap TVs have gotten.

4. blyons200

blyons200 These pretzels are making me thirsty.

When you only have to pay your employees 1.23 a day, you can really slash prices!;)

5. blyons200

blyons200 These pretzels are making me thirsty.

Sweet! Are you gonna fork over the cash for HD service?

My parents and grandparents upgraded their TV's to HD flatscreens but for some reason won't get HD service. :scratch:

6. hyson

hyson Forum Jerk

Yeah, as soon as I bought the last tv I upgraded to HD. Didn't seem to make sense to have the tv and not the service.

Netflix broadcasts in HD, too...only 720 though.

7. Jon

Jon Well-Known Member

I've heard Netflix is working on 1080p SuperHD, even 3D. I'd like to get a little cheapo Vizio TV for the Bedroom I've seen them as low as $200. Then plug an Apple TV into that.

8. hyson

hyson Forum Jerk

It seems Vizio is like the Kia of the tv industry -- mostly good reviews, lots of nice features and very attractive prices.

I'd say go for it.

9. Biaviian

Biaviian Well-Known Member

I have owned at least 1 Vizio for about 7 years now. I currently have two (one is 7 years old and one is 3). I haven't had any issues with either of these. About 7 years ago I purchased two of the same TV and they lasted for a good 4 years. About 3 years ago the remote sensor went bad on one of them so I returned it (thanks to Costco's old lifetime warranty) and I got another Vizio to replace it (LED this time). I think Vizio makes great TVs. They do have larger bezels than most other brands but that doesn't bother me too much.

10. hyson

hyson Forum Jerk

The Razor LED has a tiny bezel, so they're keeping up with the industry.

11. memebag

memebag Top Brass, ADVP

The secret is that LCD panels are only made by a couple of factories. All of the name brands are buying the same LCD panels and putting them in different frames. The fundamental image quality is very similar among all of them. A Vizio may have the same panel as another brand that costs 50% more.

12. hyson

hyson Forum Jerk

lcd = led?

13. memebag

memebag Top Brass, ADVP

Sorta kinda no. None of the TVs sold with the "LED" label are using LEDs for the image, just the light source behind the LCD panel. There are several schemes for using zones of LEDs to make the blacks darker, which was always the weakness of LCDs.

"OLED" TVs use organic LEDs for the image itself. They cost over $10,000 right now, but are expected to come down in price very quickly.

14. hyson

hyson Forum Jerk

I figured you know the difference. I was trying to trip you up.

15. semipenguin

semipenguin Bum Looker

They put them in Happy Meals now :)

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S III using Tapatalk :)

16. hyson

hyson Forum Jerk

I got my $80 power supply board and installed it into the old Samsung.

By golly, that little piggy works great now!

As an FYI, old Samsung tvs apparently have known capacitor issues: TV Capacitor Settlement Notices | Samsung USA

So if your old Sammy happens to die, won't turn on or hesitates to turn on, chances are that the caps are the culprit.

Fortunately, it's a super easy fix.

17. hyson

hyson Forum Jerk

Both Vizio and Samsung are still going strong all these years later.

semipenguin likes this.
  18. IdRatherBeSkiing

IdRatherBeSkiing This space for rent

I recently bought a VIZIO 50. Bought it from COSTCO online. First one they delivered had a cracked screen. They are in the process of delivering another (and picking up the old one).

hyson likes this.
  19. scotchandcigar

scotchandcigar arrogant bastard

I just realized that I Liked a post from 2013.

20. IdRatherBeSkiing

IdRatherBeSkiing This space for rent

I replied to one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scotchandcigar likes this.