New Slacker Portable at Best Buy

Discussion in 'Slacker Radio' started by TSS Taylor, Oct 9, 2008.

1. TSS Taylor

TSS Taylor DRC Fan

I was at a Best Buy yesterday and was blown away that the new Slacker Portable is now being carried there. That's kinda a big deal. Kudos to Slacker.

2. MM

MM Administrator

What was the price?

3. TSS Taylor

TSS Taylor DRC Fan

I can't remember. I should probably look into one. I know it's a competing technology but I don't want to be too stubborn that I'm not flexible in keeping up.

I do remember someone telling me though when we were there that it would be given a display unit shortly.

4. mynameisjamie

mynameisjamie Member

I am excited that Slacker is going to offer its service on BB phones. Supposedly it will work almost the same as on a Slacker Portable.

Peep it.

5. Evil_Ernie

Evil_Ernie Smell my finger

From the pictures I've seen of the unit, it looks like a BlackBerry without the keyboard...almost like the new BlackBerry Storm.

6. Evil_Ernie

The Slacker site lists it at $199 for the 4GB (25 stations) and $249 for the 8GB (40 stations), so it will probably be the same at BB.

7. Grüpsaar

Grüpsaar DRC Forum Bum

I'm really tempted to get the Slacker Portable.

The idea of it sounds amazing, and I like the online portion of it and sites like it, like pandora, LAST.FM, and more.

BUT, after playing around for a while, I think I might get bored with having stations that have songs I may not like. I think I just like the idea of a new gadget at the moment, because the more I think about it, the more I wonder how much I'll enjoy the stations it makes for you. I like playing with it now and again. But next to Sirius and my Zune, it'd be hard to find time to use it and get the monies worth. If it were the only device I had, then maybe.

Arrrgh. Decisions decisions.

8. hank-the-dwarf

hank-the-dwarf Well-Known Member

I have a freind that has it and it is pretty bad ass-i think that internet radio is the next great medium-Satrad was good but internet radio has much more potential as far as music goes now anyway.

9. IdRatherBeSkiing

IdRatherBeSkiing This space for rent

It does in terms of bandwidth. It does not in terms of coverage.

10. hank-the-dwarf

Me im not all that worried about having it in my car-i have so many songs on my mp3 player that i wont have to suffer Fm-at work is the place i need it most-however i think in a few years it will be everywhere

11. Grüpsaar

Grüpsaar DRC Forum Bum

It is interesting to think how much internet radio will expand in as little as 3 years. With it being able to get into cars and more and devices like slacker, it's going to be exciting to see what we'll have.

12. limegrass69

limegrass69 Confused

Unless the greedy jerk-offs at the RIAA come up with another way to try and stifle progress and innovation.

Personally, I am enjoying my Sonos system. I have the high-quality Sirius stream running through there, along with Rhapsody. I added the Rhapsody to go service and I can load my 4GB Insignia player with over 800 songs to take on the go.

13. Grüpsaar

Grüpsaar DRC Forum Bum

I wish I could afford a sonos setup. Maybe down the line someday, but for now, I can dream, hehe.

14. limegrass69

limegrass69 Confused

You might be able to pick one up on the cheap on eBay. They came out with some new Sonos models about 90 days ago, and some folks are looking to unload their older ones. I have the older ones and they work just fine for me. The newer ones are really not all that different.

15. Grüpsaar

Grüpsaar DRC Forum Bum

I'll have to look into it, but still may have to wait a few months to look into actually buying one.

16. KTMCDO

KTMCDO Member

Is the slacker also on the best buy webpage as well

17. Evil_Ernie

[​IMG]

18. MikeV

MikeV Member

I've been considering Slacker as an alternative, since it appears that XM's music programming is being pretty well slaughtered. I'm holding out for Orbitcast's review of the G2, and I've also been watching the Slacker forums for peoples' thoughts as they get it.

19. hank-the-dwarf

I'm gonna wait a little while before i get it.It looks good though,but the price is a little high.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2008
  20. MikeV

MikeV Member

Well, I wouldn't expect the price of the device to go down significantly anytime soon.

I've been playing around with Slacker a bit more lately and think I might just spring for this. I'm not yet a subscriber to the service, but since you don't have to be a subscriber to use the device, it might very well satisfy me as far as what I'm looking for in audio entertainment, given what I'm expecting to happen to XM when the programming changes kick in.