New radio's being announced

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
Except there probably won't be any recording, or replay functionality. There is no way Apple is gonna let an app save songs on their device that you could be buying from the itunes store. I suppose a dock could be made that would make the iphone a portable sat rad player. It would be tough on the battery though. I like the sound of this, but lets hope the Stiletto isn't going away.

Yeah, like I said, this is essentially:

1) In the dock, it'll be similar to an Xpress RC, or Roady.
2) Out of the dock, you'd probably need the Sirius XM app.

All we'd need is a boombox or home dock. (That's probably where the app comes in.)

BTW, SIRI stock now up to 70 cents, althought it WAS at 78 cents at one point.

Grüpsaar

DRC Forum Bum
Oct 11, 2008
Anytown, WI
www.youtube.com
yes, it's got everyone buzzing about Sirius, and its the perfect idea. Utitlize the Ipod and iphone not only for apps but as a radio itself. Brilliant. This is what SiriusXM needed, and hopefully it received well.

TSS Taylor

DRC Fan
Oct 9, 2008
Chicago, IL
www.tss-radio.com
yes, it's got everyone buzzing about Sirius, and its the perfect idea. Utitlize the Ipod and iphone not only for apps but as a radio itself. Brilliant. This is what SiriusXM needed, and hopefully it received well.

I think it's going to be received better from those who don't have Satellite Radio then those looking for an upgrade within Satellite Radio though. I'm hoping it pulls in new subscribers more than the iPhone App but I'd be skeptical of that.

Superman07

Oct 27, 2008
I think the Skydock is brilliant. It puts most of the responsibility - and cost - on a different developer. In this case that is Apple, but it doesn't mean you couldn't extend the concept and build on the platform to others like Blackberry or Palm. It shows you that there is a certain sunk cost for the sat receiver piece (or roughly half of my setup) that Sirius|XM just cannot avoid.

This is also a similar approach to what TomTom is taking with their application and people seem open to that idea. Also, hopefully if the item is popular enough it will drive the cost down. This along with the regular application for i products really looks to set up Sirius well for 2010, especially if the economy starts to turn around.

If I had not already bought a solution for my car in the spring I really would have considered this (assuming it extends to Sirius and is not simply an XM product...).

hyson

Forum Jerk
Oct 19, 2008
Sirius is really taking a leap of faith putting their eggs in the Apple basket.

What happens when the next biggest, baddest, newest thing comes out?

Wow its a glorified iPhone Dock and FM Transmitter.

You could buy 4 or 5 real Sirius XM units for the price it costs you for this setup, and the nice part is with a real XM or Sirius radio when your phone rings you dont lose the music playing on your stereo.

You also can use the iPhones GPS or do other things while listening to your XM since the iPhone can't do background tasks. The unit also does not output the audio from your iPhone from other apps such as your iPod, Slacker Radio, Pandora etc... if you want those to play you need to go buy another mount and FM transmitter.

The idea is good, but the feature set is not there. You are paying almost $400 to try emulating what a $49 plug and play XM radio can do BETTER.

No thanks.

syphix

Oct 15, 2008
The unit also does not output the audio from your iPhone from other apps such as your iPod, Slacker Radio, Pandora etc... if you want those to play you need to go buy another mount and FM transmitter.
Apparently you and Ryan Saghir (from Orbitcast) are reading/learning different things.

http://www.orbitcast.com/archives/xm-skydock-new-photos-more-info-added-details-oh-my.html
Additionally, you can play any other audio content through the dock. So if you want to listen to your own personal digital music library, or Pandora, or Slacker - you can - including listening to your XM. I'm really glad they did this (contrary to my original suspicions that Sirius XM Radio Inc. wouldn't).

As for doing background tasks while the SkyDock app is running, well...that's a slam on Apple, not SIRIUS XM. They're working the best they can with the current iPod/iPhone OS, which does not allow that. Many other developers are upset at this hurdle as well.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
I think it's going to be received better from those who don't have Satellite Radio then those looking for an upgrade within Satellite Radio though. I'm hoping it pulls in new subscribers more than the iPhone App but I'd be skeptical of that.

Hell it might work for ME once the money is right. I don't have to buy yet another new piece of radio equipment. And no new hardware other than the dock itself. I didn't see a price (or I wasn't paying close enough attention) for the dock, but I can't imagine it's too much.

Sirius Rich

Oct 11, 2008
Houston
Hell it might work for ME once the money is right. I don't have to buy yet another new piece of radio equipment. And no new hardware other than the dock itself. I didn't see a price (or I wasn't paying close enough attention) for the dock, but I can't imagine it's too much.

Per the Wall Street Journal and Sarah McBride:

By SARAH MCBRIDE

Sirius XM Satellite Radio Inc. is introducing a $120 dock that essentially turns iPhones into satellite radios, allowing the company to tap into one of the fastest-growing consumer products on the marketplace.

The dock, which the company says will be available in the fall, underscores how Sirius is facing growing competition from other devices and services as it tries to hold onto its share of an increasingly competitive audio-entertainment market. The launch shows that rather than fight the competition, working with it might be Sirius's smartest option.

ENTIRE ARTICLE

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON

You could buy 4 or 5 real Sirius XM units for the price it costs you for this setup, and the nice part is with a real XM or Sirius radio when your phone rings you dont lose the music playing on your stereo.

You also can use the iPhones GPS or do other things while listening to your XM since the iPhone can't do background tasks. The unit also does not output the audio from your iPhone from other apps such as your iPod, Slacker Radio, Pandora etc... if you want those to play you need to go buy another mount and FM transmitter.

The idea is good, but the feature set is not there. You are paying almost $400 to try emulating what a $49 plug and play XM radio can do BETTER.

No thanks.

I think doing all the R&D for a dock to allow you to listen to Slacker wouldn't be the wisest business decision would it?

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana

No thanks.

Once again Scott misses the boat!

Those that already own a iPhone and iPod Touch this opens the door to potentially becoming a subscriber. I love how you add the cost of the iPhone and iPod Touch in your overall cost. Honestly only a moron is going to go out and buy and iPhone or iPod Touch for the sake of having sat radio. This product is about making use of the Apple platform by just adding a dock. We know that iPhone and iPod Touch users love accessories. How many iPhones and iPod Touch's has Apple sold that this potentially opens the door for. I doubt SIRIUS is counting on folks going out buying a new iPhone or iPod Touch for those buying a regular PNP tuner would be the way to go.

drdroo

#1 by Women 18-24
Staff member
Oct 9, 2008
Bangor, ME USA
DAB -

I think the word 'convergence' is lost on Mr Greczkowski.

The purpose of the dock is to reduce the amount of 'crap' one needs to own. It's assumed they already own an iPhone, iPod, etc. At the same time, this helps get around the whole 'can't get X or Y channel on the streaming service'.

Few would buy an iPhone or iPod solely to get the Skydock solution. At the same time, it's quite attractive to the massive base of existing iPod Touch 1/2 gen and iPhone 1/2/3 gen.

Whether this will convert into anything meaningful, who knows. However, any time SiriusXM can get into more places, this is a great thing. I've long said SiriusXM should be available on a variety of platforms, devices, etc. if they want to get more subscribers. It appears they've really done that. There's always more room to go.

One last thing, there's no fixed rule about the software for the Skydock. It's likely they can release additional features later in time.

hexagram

Medicinal & Recreational.
Oct 11, 2008
Seattle, WA
Well, I've found at least one new product that I'm looking forward to:

tabletop.JPG

- Sleek tabletop design that fits in with most décors.

- Powerful, full-range sound with built-in 2-way speakers. :thumbsup:

- Auto-set Clock and Dual Alarms with sleep and snooze timers that can be independently set to a favorite SIRIUS XM channel or buzzer. :thumbsup:

- Large display that automatically adjusts brightness to different environments to easily view artist name, song title and clock functions. :thumbsup:

- Remote Control that allows users to easily control the radio from across the room.

- User-selectable sound equalizer settings.

- Direct access to 10 favorite channel presets from the front panel buttons or the remote control.

- Parental controls to lock-out channels with controversial content.

The TTR1 measures 11†x 7.25†x 3.75.†It includes a wired Ethernet jack for customers who have network connectivity near their listening location; Aux-In capability for connecting a digital music player or alternate audio source; and line-out for connection to a stereo or home entertainment system. Connections are also available for headphones. The TTR1 is compatible with 802.11b & 802.11g wireless networks with WEP and WPA2 security.

If TSS needs a review for this radio when it comes out, I've got first dibs. ;)

Last edited:
Once again Scott misses the boat!

Those that already own a iPhone and iPod Touch this opens the door to potentially becoming a subscriber. I love how you add the cost of the iPhone and iPod Touch in your overall cost. Honestly only a moron is going to go out and buy and iPhone or iPod Touch for the sake of having sat radio. This product is about making use of the Apple platform by just adding a dock. We know that iPhone and iPod Touch users love accessories. How many iPhones and iPod Touch's has Apple sold that this potentially opens the door for. I doubt SIRIUS is counting on folks going out buying a new iPhone or iPod Touch for those buying a regular PNP tuner would be the way to go.

I didn't miss the boat, this will get new subscribers, sure. But after awhile they will get tired of trying to make their iPhone / iPod emulate a satellite radio and might figure out it might be better to get a REAL satellite radio.

This is not a unit which you can take from car to car as you need to re run the antenna for each time you move it.

Again a REAL $49 satellite radio will run circles around your $400 iPhone XM Radio that is TRYING to act like an XM Radio.

syphix

Oct 15, 2008
Show me a $49 satellite radio that is also a phone. A daily organizer. A video player. An audio player. A GPS device. A portable game console. A web browser. An email client. A stock ticker. A sports ticker. A weather forecast adviser.

I doubt a $49 satrad is going to be able to do ANY of that (even the stock/sports scores).

And additional car antennas are $15. Big whoop. Setup both cars with an antenna, unplug the SkyDock and go.