New Online Website And Device Apps

hwkn

Oct 14, 2008
Evanston,IL
None of the app's audio works......I tried changing the various settings on my tv to see if anything worked and nothing did.

hwkn

Oct 14, 2008
Evanston,IL
I went on a chat with a samsung expert and he was no help either........these smart tv's can be a pain sometimes.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Stupid question, but is your volume up? One of the TVs I have has a setting to tie tv volume to line out. If that is set, turning down volume on speakers will also turn down output volume. Stupid setting (I have it off) but it was there.

hwkn

Oct 14, 2008
Evanston,IL
the tv volume's off[set to optical].I have the audio going through my Denon av receiver.[i'm getting a new av receiver next friday]

Last edited:

hwkn

Oct 14, 2008
Evanston,IL
I've done a sound test on the tv and there was no sound on the test so i'm thinking about getting a replacement tv no use fighting it anymore.

scotchandcigar

All I wanted was some steak
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
OK, I may have had this same experience. If you have a setup like mine, the cable box audio goes to the AVR, while the cable box video output goes to the TV via HDMI. The problem is, HDMI carries both video and audio, so when your TV detects digital audio-in via the HDMI, is disables digital audio-out (via optical). There's a setting - either on the cable box menu or the TV - that configures the HDMI to only output video, and not digital audio. Once you make that change, the digital audio out from your TV's optical port is enabled.

scotchandcigar

Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
Actually, that setup I described may have been for my older receiver, which didn't have HDMI pass-through. Regardless, if you send your cable box out to your AVR via HDMI, and then the AVR has a pass-through for the HDMI out to your TV, that HDMI signal going to your TV is carrying both video and audio, so the rest of my comments apply.

scotchandcigar

Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
Neither my tv or my Xfinity DVR has a setting to have HDMI only output video.
I just checked, it's a config setting for the HDMI on my AVR menu. Your receiver is (most likely) passing the HDMI audio/video signal (from your cable box) through to your TV.

hwkn

Oct 14, 2008
Evanston,IL
The av receiver's 10 years old so the age is catching up with it[and the remote control's not working too well either].