New Laptop Specs for Mongo

Discussion in 'Windows' started by HecticArt, Jan 31, 2013.

1. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

I'm looking at a new laptop for a gig that may be a permanent situation soon.
    [​IMG]
    Toshiba Satellite P870-BT3G22 Laptop
    - Intel® Core™ i7-3630QM Processor (6M Cache, up to 3.40 GHz) with Intel® Turbo Boost Technology
    - Windows 8
    - 12GB DDR3 1600MHz SDRAM (4GB + 4GB + 4GB)
    - 750GB HDD (5400rpm, Serial ATA)
    - DVD SuperMulti drive
    - 17.3" diagonal widescreen HD+ (1600x900) TruBrite® LED Backlit display
    - 1600x900, 16:9 aspect ratio, Supports 720p content
    - Headphone jack (stereo), Microphone jack (mono), Onkyo® stereo speakers, SRS Premium Sound 3D®
    - Integrated 2MP Webcam and Microphone
    - WiFi® Wireless networking (802.11b/g/n) with Bluetooth® version 4.0
    - Intel 1Gbps LAN
    - Lithium-Ion Battery (4800mAh, 6-Cell)
    - Memory Card Reader
    - 2-USB (3.0) ports, 2-USB (3.0) ports with Sleep and Charge
    - HDMI® output port
    - RGB port
    - Prestige Silver Color in Etched Aluminum

What am I missing, or should I be ditching.

2. memebag

memebag Top Brass, ADVP

Is battery life important for this gig?

3. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

Not incredibly important.
    I'll get an extra power adapter for the road.

4. memebag

memebag Top Brass, ADVP

If battery time doesn't matter, that looks nice. But it looks like a battery hog.

5. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

Cool. I need something with the power to handle a few 3d cad programs and photo shop all running at the same time without either the processor or video choking. I can't think of the last time I needed to run for more than 2 hours without having a power source available.

6. Casual Fan

Casual Fan Surprisingly nice

Meme is certainly more knowledgeable than I (on this topic, anyway :bluecool:), but what comes to mind is an SSD for programs and your OS, and something bigger than a 6-cell battery.

Also, what's the video card? Does it have dedicated memory and how much?

Are you looking for a laptop or desktop replacement? In other words, how important is mobility?

Sometimes posting questions like this on a photography forum (like fredmiranda.com or http://photography-on-the.net/forum/) is useful because these guys all do video-intensive computing.

7. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

I missed copying the video card.
    It's a NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 630M 2GB with Optimus™

The upgrade for a SSD is close to $500 for only a 256 GB drive, so I was just going to stick with the standard drive.

It doesn't look like they have an option for a higher capacity battery. I rarely run without one anyway.

8. blyons200

blyons200 These pretzels are making me thirsty.

Meme must be to busy hosting a knitting party today to respond

9. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

I think he was knitting me a higher capacity battery. That was his first question too.

10. Casual Fan

Casual Fan Surprisingly nice

See if he'll knit you an SSD, too.

11. memebag

memebag Top Brass, ADVP

I wouldn't advocate an SSD in a laptop. Not yet. The best use of SSDs for general computing is a small (100GB or so) SSD for the OS and a much bigger spinning drive for data. Laptops usually don't have room or power for two drives. A hybrid drive might be OK, but the advantages are kind of slim.

HecticArt likes this.
  12. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

Good to know. Thanks!

For the price vs size, it didn't seem like it would be worth it, but I haven't read much about them. My old IT guy had mentioned that they can go bad just like a traditional drive.
    The Toshiba's have a bunch that come with 2 drives, but I didn't notice if they were paired with spinners & SSD's together.

13. TX WJ

TX WJ Intelligent Donkey

I had had 3 Toshiba laptops, good machines all have lasted 2-3 years.

Best Buy had $800 off a 17 inch Mac Book Pro a while back, you could always dual boot windows.

14. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

I don't think I'll go mac. I know they are good machines, but I don't want to deal with 2 os' and whatnot. That, and I'm not sure how how all of the software will behave. Thanks for mentioning the option though.

15. TX WJ

TX WJ Intelligent Donkey

I am seeing more and more of my customers go to Mac's, and we only support windows so they are running Windows 7 and Mac OS10.

I thought about putting windows on my iMac but haven't found a reason to.

I thought about it since Mac Book Pro's are heavy duty machines.

16. TX WJ

TX WJ Intelligent Donkey

I loved my HTC Thunderbolt for its big screen and 4G LTE, then it developed a problem where it rebooted 3-4 times a day, then 8-10 times a day.

HTC said that they had no idea when they would issue a fix, Verizon said it was a HTC issue.

My company put some pressure on Verizon and they sent me a Samsung Charge to replace the HTC. I loved it, for seven months, then the audio on my end would go out in the middle of the call. I could hear people they couldn't hear me. Seven refub phones later, I dropped my phone and it shattered.

So I called my company phone guy and they got me a new iPhone 4S for $199, I still have it. Great phone.

Until Goggle fixes the fragmentation (people are on many, many versions of Android software) and the fact that Motorola, HTC, Samsung are putting their own software over Android. This is why it is so hard to get updates, Google puts them out then you have to wait for the handset maker.

If I ever went back it would be for a Nexus (Google phone) without that crap wrapper software that the others put on it.

17. voliconjoe

voliconjoe Well-Known Member

candygram for mongo!

18. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

I was just asking about laptop specs.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

19. Vols44

Vols44 Well-Known Member

When I read about the need for Photoshop and Autocad I knew a SSD would be useless. Like the RAM capacity. The different card readers, USB ports and HMDI out are useful.

A dedicated graphics card with 2GB of video memory would be a plus. I'd want an LED display for a high fidelity color representation. Some of those phrases were copied from the description of a Toshiba S855-S5382. It has a 15.6" display and I think a 17.3 is better for your line of work.

20. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

After I spec'd out that machine, I wound up taking another job offer. I didn't get to give them the specs on what I wanted, I had to pick from a list of standard machines. I got a 15.6" i5 with 3gh of vid and some other stuff. I got 2 external monitors, so the smaller laptop display isn't a problem. I won't be working on insanely huge models so I shouldn't notice the difference between the machines.