New Apple Products

Discussion in 'Apple' started by MM, Oct 14, 2008.

1. MM

MM Administrator

I guess this is why people say don't buy a Rev. A Mac product.

2. MikeV

MikeV Member

My Macbook is about a year and a half old now, and still workin' wonderfully. I'm with you MM, don't buy a Rev. A product from Apple. I waited for the first update before I bought my Macbook, since it was evident early on that the first run of Intel-based systems had issues (and the first run of Macbooks didn't have Core2 Duo processors, only Core Duo)...

Those new Macbooks are certainly sweet, but I think I'll hold out for the next update to them, at least. :) I don't need one yet anyway.

3. MM

MM Administrator

I am surprised that the MacBooks have been changed so many times since I got mine in January.

I haven't seen a new one in person yet.

4. MM

MM Administrator

I just saw the new MacBooks at the Apple store today. All I can say is WOW! They look great. The mousepad is amazing.

5. DAB

DAB Mod Emeritus

Did you notice any issues with the display as reported in that review I posted earlier in this thread. I've found several of forums with this same info posted, so many appearently are seeing it. I guess when compared with your older one you really notice it.

6. MM

MM Administrator

I really didn't notice any issues. It looks great IMO. I only played for a few minutes, though.

7. DAB

DAB Mod Emeritus

Were your fingers getting all sticky? hehehe LOL

8. MM

MM Administrator

Nope, I had company..........and if I didn't I would of had a new MacBook and a lot of 'splainin to do. ;)

Maybe next time, though.

I don't think my wife would allow me to go into an Apple store alone, she knows better. :cool:

9. DAB

DAB Mod Emeritus

Sounds like your wife is pretty darn wise my friend! I knew it would be hard for you to resist. hehe You did good! :)

10. DaJoker

DaJoker New Member

I'm out of town on business right now, so I'll try to do a valid comparison when I get back in town and actually have the new Macbook in my hands (was delivered an hour after I had to leave town :( . I'll be able to do a side by side comparison, which I think will definitely help. I'll try to capture the differences via my Sony A200 and see if it was noticeable through the camera as the author claims.

11. DAB

DAB Mod Emeritus

Wow just and hour after you left town, that sucks! :)

I look forward to your side by side comparison. I think that is really the only way to see any real difference. Hopefully the camera will be able to pick it up.

12. DaJoker

DaJoker New Member

Ok, so I've viewed them side by side, and can say without a doubt, the author of the above mentioned article is completely full of crap. The blacks are indeed very black. Sure, they are a bit washed, but that is going to be true of any LCD screen with ANY backlight. I do know why the author seems to think the LED backlighting washes out the display even more though: The truly black surround around the screen causes the blacks shown on the display to appear more "grey" than usual. However, take away that (place some tape over the black) and then compare to the keyboard keys and you don't notice the difference. As far is the "blue" remark, after calibrating the display for proper white balance and gamma, I can't see any hint of blue in the display. In fact, if I were to compare I would say the white is more sparkling and true to life white on the new MacBook vs the old. I haven't taken pictures because quite frankly, there is nothing to take a picture of. There isn't enough of a difference between the two displays that would be comparable in pictures.

What I can say is that the new MacBook is a good bit lighter than the old, even with the metal enclosure, the keys seems to me to be a bit more secure in the case than the old, the battery life is quite a bit better even with the higher end processor and speedier bus and memory, the sound seems a bit improved, there is almost no difference in range on the wireless (which concerned me because of the alum case), and it is quite a bit thinner and easier to carry in the hand than the old. Not the the original white MacBook was a slouch in any of those departments, but I can tell already I am really going to enjoy having the new one in the stable and will turn over the reigns to the old one to the boy.

Hope this helped some folks who may or may not have been on the fence of purchasing one of these fab machines.

13. DAB

DAB Mod Emeritus

Thanks DaJoker, I appreciate your side by side comparison. Sounds like you are loving this new MacBook.

I've given it much thought, but have decided for now to stick with my HP nc6400 business notebook. I will likely strongly consider a Mac though once I feel I've gotten my use out of my business machine. Today I upgraded my hard drive from an 80 gig to a 200 gig Hitachi 7200 RPM. The cool thing is that with my notebook being backed up nightly via my Windows Home Server. I simply installed the hard drive and inserted the Windows Server Restore disk and in 30 minutes via eithernet my notebook was totally restored.

For me the decision not to go with Mac now is that I'd have to buy a lot of software in order to be able to do all the things I can currently do on my PC.

14. MM

MM Administrator

Get a Mac!! :)

What would you have to get, software wise, just curious?

15. DaJoker

DaJoker New Member

DAB, I'm not real sure what "new" software you would have to buy, other than perhaps Parallels or VMWare Fusion. After purchasing either one of those, installing XP/Vista/whatever in the virtualized environment you can run any of your Windows applications pretty much natively in OSX, without loss of speed. I do this to run Internet Explorer and some other web application testing tools right from my Mac. No issues, no problems.

16. Grüpsaar

Grüpsaar DRC Forum Bum

I just plunked down a measly 800 bucks on my HP notebook a few months back, since I dont do anything too crazy with it. But it was a good deal, 4 gigs of ram, 260 gig HDD, 2.10ghz x2 64-bit processor. All with a 'special edition' finish that I havent seen many other people with, even with the same model number notebook. This one was a steal for whats inside, and I cant find it anywhere else in stores with the same specs. They all have 2 gigs or less of ram.

BUT, I still get jealous seeing macbooks. And reading this thread through made me want one more.

Who needs to pay rent when you could have a macbook? :p

17. DAB

DAB Mod Emeritus

You know I always forget you can do this on the Mac. Hmmm just something else to consider. You DAWGS quit now! LOL ;)

18. MM

MM Administrator

DAB, this is your business. I want you to buy some Macs, we are tired of PCs.

I think MM is correct. ;)

19. DAB

DAB Mod Emeritus

Yeah, Yeah! LOL :whistle:

20. jef

jef Power Pig, Hello!

I'm piling on - get a Mac! :)

I have a white Macbook, and got my first look/feel of the new models today. They are beautiful pieces of work. Lighter than mine, and nice to look at, too. It was only a few minutes, but I think that I fell in love with the feel of the glass trackpad, and the new multi-finger gestures they enabled.

And VMware or Parallels as well as Bot Camp - is certainly an option for those times when you need something in Windows - or just keep your current system for that. Over time, you will probably find yourself turning it on less and less.