Netbook Advice Needed

Discussion in 'Windows' started by Deacon, Oct 25, 2008.

1. Deacon

Deacon Member

I am looking at getting a netbook for my 11 year old this xmas. Was wondering if any of you have experience and/or advice for what to look for.

I am looking at the Aspire One and either the cheaper version [ame]http://www.amazon.com/Acer-Aspire-8-9-inch-Laptop-Processor/dp/B001BBS76Q[/ame] with linux or the slightly more expensive version [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Acer-Aspire-8-9-inch-Laptop-Processor/dp/B001D773KY/ref=pd_cp_pc_3?pf_rd_p=413863401&pf_rd_s=center-41&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B001BBS76Q&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1P41YJDF15ZNHTEH5HZ1?tag=citofgamonlco-20"]amazon[/ame] with XP. This will be lightly used for writing papers for homework and email/web surfing. Also potentially used for iTunes/iPod.

Thanks!

Last edited: Oct 25, 2008
  2. MM

MM Administrator

I would recommend a unit with XP. I have not used Linux myself, but for a teenager XP might be easier. Also, adding iTunes, etc... would work better.

I also would look for one with the biggest hard drive. After adding programs, music, etc.. you'd run out of space in no time.

3. roscoryan

roscoryan DRC Graphics Guru

I got the Aspire One with XP and a 120gb HD from Best Buy. I was lucky enough to get it the first week it was released, at $350.

It's an absolutely kick ass little machine, perfect for web browsing. I have found myself even using the webcam, after swearing I never would.

Like MM said, get the XP version. Especially with a 120gb HD, there's a lot more you can use it for.

4. MM

MM Administrator

Man, that's a good price. I'd almost like to get one for the hell of it. But, I have two laptops already. :)

5. DAB

DAB Mod Emeritus

I am shocked at the price of PC notebooks now days. It is the very thing that will keep the PC well ahead of Apple. But $350 is outrageous! WOW!

6. Deacon

Deacon Member

Thanks for the input guys.