My Stratus just died...

Discussion in 'Sirius Radios' started by kingchuck69, Nov 30, 2008.

1. kingchuck69

kingchuck69 Joker! Joker! Joker!

Last Tuesday, I was in the beginning of a 500-mile trip from my home base of Grand Rapids to southern Kentucky when just 20 miles into my trip, my Stratus stopped working.

I've had problems with the electrical part of the car unit for a while. I used to have to wiggle the end of the end of the chord leading into my unit to get it to work. However, as I was changing the channel, the sound stopped, the unit read "invalid channel" and bit the dust.

Luckily, I was just up the road from Plainwell, which has a Radio Shack. However, they only had two choices: another Stratus which will puke out on me within two years like this one did, or a Sportster 4. I went with the Sportster, and it was a wise decision.

With the Sportster, pressing the buttons is easier, the display's bigger and I love the replay feature. The only downfall is that its suction mount doesn't stick to my dash, so I keep it in my cupholder.

I think what killed my Stratus (and the SIR-1 before it) was the fact that I always never pressed the power button; I always unplugged it while it was running.

It was a good thing I got this new Sirius unit, or else I would have been bombarded with Country station after Country station. It does get desolate on my trip...

2. lronglien

lronglien Member

Stratus

May it RIP.

3. Jager

Jager Member

The main reason I went to Sat Rad in 2004. I'm right between Ky, Tn and Wv

4. DAB

DAB Mod Emeritus

Wow it sucks that your Stratus died, but it sounds like the Sportster will be good for you.

5. Aaron

Aaron Moderator

Given the choice between a Sportster 4 and a Starmate 5, which would you choose? Or maybe something else?

After 4 years with an Orbiter, I'm finally in the market for a new radio.
    I'll be placing an order with TSS Radio sometime this week.

6. DAB

DAB Mod Emeritus

Aaron that is a tough one. But for me I'd have to go with the Starmate 5 it gives you the A la carte option, but for me I just like the deep black non shiny surface. I also like main control button which is easier to use in a vehicle over the Sportster 4. The Sportster 4 does have bigger preset buttons, but and the display is a tad bit bigger. But there is very little difference between them in the info that is display because the Starmate has a wide display.

In regards to power, antenna etc, they are pretty much the same.

I have had an Orbiter Boombox with the Streamer that I've used at the camp for years, but I don't think I'll be activating it anymore. You certainly got your money out of it over the 4 years. Those ole big tuners were great in my opinion, but initially were a laughing stock for Sirius compared to XM.

7. Aaron

Aaron Moderator

Thanks, I was leaning towards getting the Starmate 5. I think that is what I will do.

8. Grüpsaar

Grüpsaar DRC Forum Bum

Sad to see a radio die, but good you got a nicer one.

As for starmate vs sportser, I like the look of the sportster, but have always liked the starmate replay, I think I'd have to go with the starmate.

9. kingchuck69

CORRECTION:

It's a Starmate 4, not a Sportster.

Got the two mixed up. ;)

10. DAB

DAB Mod Emeritus

Well it doesn't matter which one both are better than the Stratus hands down!

11. lronglien

lronglien Member

Death of a radio

DAB-
    Wouldn't it be great if WE could keep a radio long enough for it to die?? My girlfriend is always killing me because I have to have the new stuff...LOL.

12. DAB

DAB Mod Emeritus

Tell me about it, I've never personally experienced that! LOL

13. semipenguin

semipenguin Bum Looker

Aaron's going to upgrade?...:shock:

Sorry about your radio, Chuck. Have fun with your new one...:)

14. bigdaddyII

bigdaddyII Member

I cant imagine the emotional turmoil he is experiencing right now. After 4 years that radio should be just like a friend. Buying a new one would be like breaking off a 4 year relationship.

15. Entourage

Entourage New Member

Dead radio

Hey man I am from Grand Rapids as well. Next time you should call the guys at TSS Radio:D

16. Aaron

Aaron Moderator

I hear ya. I was planning to use the Orbiter until it died. In recent weeks the display has been going out. And with this being Christmas time, now would be a perfect time for the wife to get me a new radio. ;)
    So I just ordered a Starmate 5 with TSS Radio.

Didn't mean to take over your thread, kingchuck69. :)

17. TSS Taylor

TSS Taylor DRC Fan

Hey let me know your info so I can throw in a freebie or something.

18. kingchuck69

Problem was, I was already on the road and needed a new Sirius like, NOW.

I've used TSS before. Great service.:yesshake: