Most over rated bands of all time...

Discussion in 'The Studio Lounge' started by MAJ Badmotherfarker, Nov 27, 2008.

1. MAJ Badmotherfarker

MAJ Badmotherfarker is drinking a beer.

This has been done before, but I just heard a Grateful Dead song and couldn't help restarting it.

1) Grateful Dead. They are the most over rated thing since Shakespeare's romance plays and Dante's Inferno.

2) Nickelback/Creed/Bush, etc. I can't tell them apart, but they all suck.

3) The Sex Pistols

4) Sonic Youth. I'm not sure you can even classify it as music.

5) Billy Joel

2. IdRatherBeSkiing

IdRatherBeSkiing This space for rent

The Beatles -- They were good in their time but not THAT good.
    Elvis Presley -- He is dead. Hosestly.

3. Ifandorbut

Ifandorbut Well-Known Member

They were that good. Music still awaits another musically and socially changing experience even remotely familiar to what the Beatles were able to do in roughly eight years of existence. People that bemoan their accomplishments and write them off as over rated only prove how little they actually know, or worse yet, care to know over what they're talking about.

4. Aaron

Aaron Moderator

Good post, I agree. They were all that and more.

5. MAJ Badmotherfarker

I actually think the Beatles' music was very good. Elvis on the other hand... he gets legendary credit not for his music, but the way he changed music. Besides his early stuff, Elvis was pretty mediocre.

6. Ifandorbut

Ifandorbut Well-Known Member

As Elvis should get credit for helping to propel Rock & Roll in the mid to late fifties. Elvis had a two to three year run of great music, but he did become marginalized the more he became "Elvis of Hollywood" and not "Elvis from Memphis". He became more of an icon and a gated millionaire than the man with the amazing pipes and great looks that could shake his ass and sing like a mofo.

He always had the great voice, he never really lost that, but he did lose that spark at the start of the sixties. Throughout his career you can find gems amongst all of the schlock, but there's a lot of digging that's needed because he put out a ton of stuff.

Up until the Beatles emergence, Elvis was the measuring stick of the greatest musical act in Rock and Roll. To this day, the Beatles are still the measuring stick. Even the Rolling Stones, for as long as they've been doing their act, are interminably linked to the Beatles.

It's tough when you're always labeled as the best, but if they aren't the best, then who is?

7. TX WJ

TX WJ Intelligent Donkey

This is the easiest question of all time.

The Rolling Stones

The Beatles are the best band ever.

8. Wayne Edwards

Wayne Edwards Active Member

That's funny, I thought The Sex Pistols and Sonic Youth were the most under rated bands of all time.

9. edgarb

edgarb Member

I think the Grateful Dead is one of the best bands ever. The way they approached rock and roll and constantly changed their sound was truly phenomenal. I know opinions differ, but they really do it for me.

As for most overrated, I'd have to say Led Zeppelin or maybe Van Halen

10. IronJabroni

IronJabroni Well-Known Member

11. Aaron

Aaron Moderator

The B-52's -- I could never get into their music.

12. sbv71

sbv71 Well-Known Member

Most of today's rock bands are overrated.

13. Wayne Edwards

Wayne Edwards Active Member

Okay, somebody has to say it.

PINK FLOYD...

....without a doubt the most overrated rock band in history. I don't mean the great "See Emily Play" era Pink Floyd (before the late Syd Barrett lost his marbles and moved in with his mum)...I mean the cliche-ridden "Wall" and "Dark Side Of The Moon" Pink Floyd. Over-produced, grandiose boring corporate schlock. Mediocre at best.

14. semipenguin

semipenguin Bum Looker

Spinal Tap...:shock:

:)

[edit]
    I'm sorry, but The Beatles are only one of two bands where every song they did is worthy of playing on the radio...:)

15. MAJ Badmotherfarker

Totally forgot about them... yea, I can't stand Korn. Oh, and how about Insane Clown Posse? Or are they even rated at all?

16. mrpacs

mrpacs Well-Known Member

Nickelback comes to mind

17. hank-the-dwarf

hank-the-dwarf Well-Known Member

I say Jethro Tull!!:yesshake:

18. memebag

memebag Top Brass, ADVP

You're all wrong in different ways. ACDC is the world's most overrated band.

19. Fergz99

Fergz99 Member

Pearl Jam is way overrated.

20. KTMCDO

KTMCDO Member

overrated
    1 rolling stones
    2 van halen
    3 aerosmith
    4 led zepplin
    5 kiss
    6 todays musical groups ie NKOB ETC