Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Nah man them Apple Macintosh computers are for losers! I know you didn't! :p

You paid to much, you can do more on Windows! hehehe

jef

Power Pig, Hello!
Oct 12, 2008
Boy, sure isn't like a new Mac user to be so shy... we need to work on his smugness level.

roscoryan

DRC Graphics Guru
Oct 13, 2008
Burnsville, MN
Ryan has seen the "LIGHT"!!!!:)

Since I'm a PC fan, you might consider me skeptical. Although I have to admit the MacBook I got yesterday is pretty cool.

Got a one day special on J&R Computer World for the previous gen 'aluminum' MacBook (2.0/2/160) for $869 shipped new. I then used a $100 gift card. So $769 out of pocket made it a no brainer for me. Since it's the previous gen, I don't have the illuminated keyboard or firewire, but that's not a deal killer for me.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Since I'm a PC fan, you might consider me skeptical. Although I have to admit the MacBook I got yesterday is pretty cool.

I can relate to that, I was pretty skeptical too, but once I got mine and really applied myself to using it and learn it. I have been amazed at the stability and ease of use. I can't really explain OS X initially I found it rather awkward then once you get beyond that you begin to realize this common theme of how well thought out the way everything seems to work. Thus far I've thrown everything at it and as much as I hate to use this term. "It Just Works"

I've been very happy that much of the software that I used on Windows is also available on OS X. I am still very much so learning everything. However for me the key has been really applying myself to learn it and not just tinker with it and yet continue to use Windows.

I know you do a lot of graphics and of course everything you read indicates that Mac's are word famous for doing this, though I assume you'd need the proper software.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
If the new iPad (Macbook Touch?) rumors are true and it's priced below a Macbook ($999) I might make THAT my next computer. It'd be nice to have what would amount to a full-size iPod touch with more capabilities. Wonder if my student discount would apply to it after it's out?

jef

Power Pig, Hello!
Oct 12, 2008
They will probably have the discount. Generally pretty much everything more expensive than items in the iPod/Apple TV price range is included.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Considering anything like that would be PERFECT for academics I don't see why not.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
The rumors make it look good, though it would depend on the specs. I am not sure how well I would do with a fully digital keyboard having to type a great deal. Though the one on the iPhone works okay I still find it a bit frustrating at times. More than likely that is me when I am in a lazy mood. The problem is it wouldn't allow you to be without making a bunch of mistakes. I've seen so many rumors on this some have it at a decent size, while others have it just slightly larger than the existing iPod Touch.

It will be interesting to see how much of the rumors end up being legit.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
If it has the apps of the iPhone/iPod Touch, Fully functional (not mobile) web browsing, full iTunes version with 16:9 viewing, and the ability to run an office suite on it, with more than 120-160GB for the price they are saying ($500-$700) then I'm first in line. I would think one way to get past the keyboard is to do writing recognition, what I used to do on my old Palm Tungsten (which I found in the garage the other day btw :D ).

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
If it has the apps of the iPhone/iPod Touch, Fully functional (not mobile) web browsing, full iTunes version with 16:9 viewing, and the ability to run an office suite on it, with more than 120-160GB for the price they are saying ($500-$700) then I'm first in line. I would think one way to get past the keyboard is to do writing recognition, what I used to do on my old Palm Tungsten (which I found in the garage the other day btw :D ).

I wouldn't hold my breath for that price, but it will depend on the size of the display too. If this thing has a 10" as some have indicated, though I have heard 7" as well you can bet the price will be on the higher end. The iPhone basically has a fully functional web browser with the exception of Flash, but the issue is that it is just to small except for select use. It was one of the reasons I got a netbook, but that has since been replaced with the 13.3" MacBook Pro. Bottom line for me nothing like a keyboard. I'd rather do voice recognition than writing myself.

I've noticed in playing around with Windows 7 it has a very good voice recognition software built in and I've gotten it down pretty well. I am probably at about 85% proficiency opening applications, replying to email etc.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
I went up to the Apple Store last night for some iPhone questions, and had a look around at the displays. After playing around with the laptops I think I will get the 15 inch model for $1699 before the student discount and applecare. The setup is real nice, and Leopard is a major step up over 10.4. Plus with the 4GB and 250GB HD I'll have plenty of room to spare. Just waiting for October to get here.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
I went up to the Apple Store last night for some iPhone questions, and had a look around at the displays. After playing around with the laptops I think I will get the 15 inch model for $1699 before the student discount and applecare. The setup is real nice, and Leopard is a major step up over 10.4. Plus with the 4GB and 250GB HD I'll have plenty of room to spare. Just waiting for October to get here.

Sounds like a good plan! For me I wanted smaller thus the 13.3" display, lowend, do my own upgrades to save money! However, I was coming out of the netbook craze too, so it is nice to have a smaller, lighter computer though, not as much as netbooks, but they do some more more than netbooks too.

Between now and OCT you may change your mind again depending on what Apple introduces in September, though it seems that is going to be strictly about newer iPod's from what I am reading.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
The only reason I'm picking the 15 inch is the higher memory and storage capacity. The laptop is and will be my primary computer, I don't have a desktop, so it's going to have to be able to do the job. The body is a lot sturdier than my plastic Black Macbook and the screen is super bright. The Illuminated keyboard is nice too, since I like to do a lot of surfing in the dark. :eek:

MM

Administrator
Oct 9, 2008
New England
The only reason I'm picking the 15 inch is the higher memory and storage capacity. The laptop is and will be my primary computer, I don't have a desktop, so it's going to have to be able to do the job. The body is a lot sturdier than my plastic Black Macbook and the screen is super bright. The Illuminated keyboard is nice too, since I like to do a lot of surfing in the dark. :eek:

You could get a 13" for $500 less. Get a new 500g hard drive ($100) and 4g RAM ($50), then get a 23" Monitor ($160), then get a DVI to mini DVI adapter for your MacBook Pro ($30).

I think I just saved you $160. :)

BTW, you have the biggest signature I have ever seen. ;)

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
You could get a 13" for $500 less. Get a new 500g hard drive ($100) and 4g RAM ($50), then get a 23" Monitor ($160), then get a DVI to mini DVI adapter for your MacBook Pro ($30).

I think I just saved you $160. :)

BTW, you have the biggest signature I have ever seen. ;)

Yeah, I've suggested he buy the lower-end model and upgrade, but he doesn't seem the least bit interested in that. I am still having to earn my money, so saving every penny I can is important.

I agree with you about the siggy and honestly it is too big, you need to shorten it down Jon, it takes up a half a page on my display. :)