MM's, DAB's, jef's and roscoryan's New Toy

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Yes the one on the left is the new one. :)

Snow Leopard won't be out until September. I can get it for $9.95 shipped when it does.

Yes. I remember now. Had a little brainfart there. Good on the price though. By the time I'm ready to buy it'll be on all the new machines.

MM

Administrator
Oct 9, 2008
New England
Yes. I remember now. Had a little brainfart there. Good on the price though. By the time I'm ready to buy it'll be on all the new machines.

Maybe you could get it before September 8 and get your free iPod (after rebate).

SISO

Oct 11, 2008
Congrats MM! I recently purchased a 15" Macbook Pro..very nice machines.

Evil_Ernie

Smell my finger
Oct 11, 2008
Hell
All Mac have glossy screens now!

Actually, if you get a 17" MacBook Pro, you have the choice of a glossy or matte screen, with the matte screen costing $50 more. I think the glossy looks much better on the new MacBooks anyway.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Actually, if you get a 17" MacBook Pro, you have the choice of a glossy or matte screen, with the matte screen costing $50 more. I think the glossy looks much better on the new MacBooks anyway.

Ahh, thanks for the info!

I am really strongly considering it! Not the 17" that thing is too big!

SISO

Oct 11, 2008
Wow SISO, you working now days? LOL hehehe

No, I stole it. I'm a wanted felon right now but it's all good.

Anyone with a mac here..any luck with getting Windows Vista to run the aero interface? I can't get it to recognize that my machine is capable of doing so in Paralells or in Boot Camp.

MM

Administrator
Oct 9, 2008
New England
No, I stole it. I'm a wanted felon right now but it's all good.

Anyone with a mac here..any luck with getting Windows Vista to run the aero interface? I can't get it to recognize that my machine is capable of doing so in Paralells or in Boot Camp.

I'll try later.

I am running Vista Ultimate under Fusion.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
So, MM now that you've had your new toy for awhile. What is your overall thoughts about it. Boy this thing is pulling on me hard! I played around with one at Best Buy this past weekend and I came so close to pulling the trigger!

MM

Administrator
Oct 9, 2008
New England
I love this machine. It's a little quicker than the BlackBook (yes, still trying to sell).

I'm glad I bought it.

People have been complaining about the screens being bad, but I have no issue with my whatsoever.

I am looking forward to Snow Leopard to see what this machine can do.

If you get one go to the Apple Store. I'm sure you'll get a discount. Then you can get a free iPod Touch that you can sell "new in box."

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
If you get one go to the Apple Store. I'm sure you'll get a discount. Then you can get a free iPod Touch that you can sell "new in box."

Thanks that is what I'd likely do!

Let me ask you this, the one thing I noticed is the rather sharp edge there at the palm rest. I know most PC now have come out with a more rounded design which is very comfortable. Do you find that sharp edge uncomfortable? The guy at at the Apple Kiosk told me that was the number 1 complaint beyond the overly high expectations for the display. Which of course is sort of Apple fought because they said it was better, but others have just not found that. It looked great to me even in the bright lights of the store.

MM

Administrator
Oct 9, 2008
New England
After I read your response I looked at my wrists. :)

There are no marks and it is not uncomfortable at all.

I guess it depends on how you type. I am a master of the quick two finger typing.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
I do tend to rest my wrist on the palm rest and I touch type, so I don't really look at the keyboard when typing. But it requires the proper placement of your hands and making use of the palm rest! I am concerned about that sharp edge, I am really surprised that Apple overlooked this. But maybe it really isn't as big a problem as I am thinking and I won't really know till I actually sit down with one and use it. I may go to the store and actually see if they will let me sit down with one to try it out. I couldn't really do that at Best Buy!

jef

Power Pig, Hello!
Oct 12, 2008
My wife has a newer uni-body (I'll get mine next week - can't wait) and she hasn't said anything about issues with the wrist rest - but I can imagine that it really depends on your typing style and hand size. But MM's right - the Apple folks will let you poke at the thing until you are ready. In fact, might want to give this a try: Apple Retail Store - Personal Shopping

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
I'll be getting mine about the beginning of October from the looks of it. It will be the 13 inch, since the one I have now is the same one you're trying to sell. I hope the uniboy structure is a little stronger than the plastic on this model, there are hairline cracks in the body near the keyboard, probably from placing my wrists on the body a little too hard, or picking it up.

I hope the battery life is better on the newer one, too. I've heard seven hours. Whereas this model gets about 4 if you're lucky.