Mike Mussina Retires

Discussion in 'MLB' started by Tarheel44, Nov 20, 2008.

1. Tarheel44

Tarheel44 New Member

Being in the Baltimore area and seeing him from the start it is just hard to believe that he is going to retire. what do you think his chances of getting into the HOF on the first try will be?

2. AJ_II

AJ_II Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if Mussina will get into the HOF at all, let alone the first year he's eligible. If there were a "Hall of the Very Good", he'd be a lock. But there's not. Now eventually, he might get in because he's a beloved Yankee and that goes a long way with the voters. But if you look at the numbers, does he really belong in the HOF?

-3.68 career ERA...pretty good, but HOF worthy? He did pitch in the AL his whole career though, and the majority of it during the "juiced" era. Maybe that helps his case.

-no Cy Youngs

-no ERA titles

-only one 20 win season

-5-time All-Star

-270-153 career record

3. semipenguin

semipenguin Bum Looker

The BBHOF is going to become the BBHOFotVG...:shock:

Nobody's going to put up those HOF numbers anymore. It's just not going to happen. Just like nobody's going to win 30 games in a season, or strike out 300 players in a season. Not Going to Happen.

Now that been said, Mussina should go in the BBHOF. He's just as good or better then most of the other starting pitchers in the same era he's pitched in.

:)

4. goreds2

goreds2 Well-Known Member

And that is his final season (unless he comes out of retirement).

He was a work horse having double firues in wins since 1992.

Hall of Fame? I am glad I do not get to decide that. It is close.

Mike Mussina Statistics - Baseball-Reference.com