Microsoft to buy Nokia

Discussion in 'Windows' started by Andrew8468, Sep 2, 2013.

1. Andrew8468

Andrew8468 Plans on freezing in the dark

2. semipenguin

semipenguin Bum Looker

I think Microsoft is pushing to remain significant. Computers are becoming less significant, leaving Windows without a place to go :)

3. Jon

Jon Well-Known Member

Trying to make the same move Apple made years ago, less emphasis on computer hardware, more emphasis on mobile. Smart move, if it's not too late.

4. semipenguin

semipenguin Bum Looker

People on this forum are wondering why Apple is just now going into the music streaming business :confused:

Apple was also late to the phone business, but that's seemed to work out ok :)

Windows can make it work if they come out with something new & different :idea:

5. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

This should be good for them. I had an early Windows phone that rocked. Nokia has usually made good handsets, now they can let each division work on doing what it does best. Hiiiiiiiighly doubtful that they would be in danger of capturing even a third of the market, but they should be able to make a good product and healthy profit.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

6. memebag

memebag Top Brass, ADVP

Who is their market? Ex-Blackberry users? Better hurry before those are all gone. I can't think of another demo for Windows Phone.

7. IdRatherBeSkiing

IdRatherBeSkiing This space for rent

Unhappy iOS or Android users? If they can upstage them they could steal some users. Not the fanboys but the large chunk of fickle users which also are with those platforms because they suit their needs now.

8. memebag

memebag Top Brass, ADVP

That's a hard sell. They'd have to be more appealing to iOS users than Android and/or more appealing to Android users that iOS. And that appeal would have to be great enough to overcome their massive app deficit.

Even if Windows Phone provided some measurable benefit, they're laserdisc in the VHS/Betamax wars. And nothing I've seen on Windows Phone gives it the sort of technological advantage laserdisc had.

9. Manco

Manco Active Member

I sold on Nokia quality and windows phone user experience after owning an iPhone.

This move will allow them to accelerate development and make them more competitive. Windows phone market share is growing at a good clip, but they are still less than 10%. I have a Nokia 920 and plan on sticking with windows phone so long as MS sticks with it.

10. memebag

memebag Top Brass, ADVP

Globally, Windows Phone has 4.1% of the market, so it isn't even half of 10%, but they are growing faster than any other OS.

11. semipenguin

semipenguin Bum Looker

If they take one more percent of the market, that means they had grown 25%. Apple & Android can't say that.

It would make their shareholders happy with that kind of fuzzy math :)

12. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. I liked my old Windows phone.

As for Semi's fuzzy math, it's sound logic.
    A company doesn't need to be in first of second place to make a decent profit or good product. They just need to make the right decisions to stay profitable. This we've seen demonstrated by Blackberry. (They gave up their search for a new buyer today.)
    Microsoft isn't famous for always making the right choices, but their phones have been doing well lately.

13. IdRatherBeSkiing

IdRatherBeSkiing This space for rent

Blackberry is an counter example -- an example of what happens when you make the wrong decisions.

14. memebag

memebag Top Brass, ADVP

Windows has almost doubled its market share in the last year, but I don't think they really have a chance in the long term. Consumers don't want a 3rd choice for mobile OS. They don't really want any choice, but Apple has this weird ability to stay relevant with only 10% of a market, so consumers will have to pick between Android and iOS for the next 5 to 10 years.

15. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

All of those folks that bought windows phones in the last year would probably disagree with you. Hell, anybody that reads the moronic arguments about Droid vs iOS that we have here, just might go with Windows so that they wouldn't have to deal with the Droid/iOS fanboys.

16. memebag

memebag Top Brass, ADVP

Most people don't deal with fanboys. They buy a phone and use it without a lot of thought. I think the market can support one commodity OS and one boutique OS. There might be room for an open OS some day, but that won't be Windows.

17. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

Check back in 7 years and let me know what the market's doing.

18. semipenguin

semipenguin Bum Looker

Apple is the Betamax of the tech world :)

19. DAB

DAB Mod Emeritus

Well betamax never made any money, can't say the same for Apple sitting on 140 billion in cash!

I actually agree with Meme, while there are many on forums that go back and fourth being a fan of which ever device they prefer... the average user just buys what they want use it and never think a damn thing about it.

I have checked out windows phone, but having been so turned off by Windows over the last couple of years, its not for me (I would like go Droid before Windows). In general the OS looks pretty sweet. I did have hell setting up a buddies work email on it. For some reason we just couldn't get it to work. They finally did an update on it a few weeks later and whatever was causing the issue was resolved. He really loves it though and of course is a windows guru.