Memebag Loves ...

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
Every week I'll throw out one thing I love. You are free to discuss it.

This week, I love the fact that prime numbers are not rectangular.

(Composite numbers can be represented as rectangles where one of the dimensions is greater than 1. Prime numbers can't, because the height or the width would be a factor other than 1 and the number itself.)

I'm thinking about how to build a prime number generator out of things like magnetic balls. Throw some balls in and see if they can form a rectangle. If they can't, that's a prime number. If they can, throw in another ball and repeat.

Manco

Oct 14, 2008
I think you posted on the wrong forum. Does Mensa even have a forum?

Manco

Oct 14, 2008
You lost me when I realized I was going to have to think about math problems.

So magnetic balls, why would you expect them to naturally form a rectangle, or are you thinking of computer simulation? I'm not following that part.

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
You lost me when I realized I was going to have to think about math problems.

So magnetic balls, why would you expect them to naturally form a rectangle, or are you thinking of computer simulation? I'm not following that part.

Because they do:

images

To make that, you form a line, then you fold the line into a rectangle, then you fold the rectangle into a cube.

Casual Fan

Surprisingly nice
Oct 14, 2008
Roanoke, VA
Why would you want to represent an abstract concept like a prime number in a two-dimensional space? And numbers certainly are abstract. How do you define "one" of anything? Where does its existence stop and another something's existence begin?

Also, if you're getting geometric, why limit yourself to a rectangle? Which numbers have sufficient numerators such that they can precisely form a 20-sided, three-dimensional geometric structure? Then you could roll it to see how much damage your broadsword did to the goblin. (Answer: 2 hit points. Then it killed you.)

Plus, I was thinking more along the lines of "Memebag likes pad thai." You're threatening to bring down the whole thread in week one. Why must you be a contrarian?

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
Why would you want to represent an abstract concept like a prime number in a two-dimensional space?

Some of the best proofs are visual. Have you seen the one that shows why the sum of odd numbers from 1 to n is always a perfect square?

What about Cantor's diagonal proof that Aleph-1 is bigger than Aleph-Null?

Plus, there are analog computational engines that can be much faster than digital computers (like the soap film Traveling Salesman solution). I'm thinking about a device that uses the non-rectangular properties of primes to generate them quickly. We need them for cryptography.

And it's fun.

And numbers certainly are abstract. How do you define "one" of anything? Where does its existence stop and another something's existence begin?

That's easy. One is half of two. One is the number that, when multiplied by any other number, produces the same number.

The boundary between "things" is subjective. We decide where one thing stops and another starts.

Also, if you're getting geometric, why limit yourself to a rectangle? Which numbers have sufficient numerators such that they can precisely form a 20-sided, three-dimensional geometric structure? Then you could roll it to see how much damage your broadsword did to the goblin. (Answer: 2 hit points. Then it killed you.)

Plus, I was thinking more along the lines of "Memebag likes pad thai." You're threatening to bring down the whole thread in week one. Why must you be a contrarian?

Why would pad thai be more acceptable than the non-rectangularness of primes? Did you want less abstract objects of my affection?

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
I'm too love filled to wait a whole week.

I love having Wednesdays off. It breaks up the week into nice chunks, and lets me get stuff done while the hoi polloi are slaving away at the jobs they hate. I'm getting my oil changed, my hair cut and my car washed. There are no lines. I've got my iPad with me so I can share all of this with you, and my phone is acting as a hot spot named "Virus Farm".

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
I'm too love filled to wait a whole week.

I love having Wednesdays off. It breaks up the week into nice chunks, and lets me get stuff done while the hoi polloi are slaving away at the jobs they hate. I'm getting my oil changed, my hair cut and my car washed. There are no lines. I've got my iPad with me so I can share all of this with you, and my phone is acting as a hot spot named "Virus Farm".

Do you have to work Saturday or Sunday to make up for it?

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
Do you have to work Saturday or Sunday to make up for it?

No. I get a bunch of vacation time, but I rarely go on vacation, so I just take days off throughout the year. I've got most of the Wednesdays off in the last two months, plus the last half of December. Oh, and an honest to goodness vacation at the end of November. San Antonio!

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
No. I get a bunch of vacation time, but I rarely go on vacation, so I just take days off throughout the year. I've got most of the Wednesdays off in the last two months, plus the last half of December. Oh, and an honest to goodness vacation at the end of November. San Antonio!

I have a co-worker that does this except he takes Monday's off and makes every weekend a 3 day weekend.

Casual Fan

Surprisingly nice
Oct 14, 2008
Roanoke, VA
I like Thai food.

These are the "One" lyrics that sum up this thread:

Hold my breath as I wish for death
Oh please God, wake me

:)

Manco

Oct 14, 2008
Why was 6 afraid of 7?