Memebag build a PC

Discussion in 'Windows' started by memebag, Aug 22, 2010.

1. memebag

memebag Top Brass, ADVP

Memebag builds a PC

Goobertron, my 6 year old desktop, suffered a hard drive failure a few weeks ago. She will not boot. I've extracted the data I need from her and believe it is time to move on, building a newer, sweeter desktop inside her old body.

I've been shopping around and I think I've found a sweet spot for price/performance with these:

• CPU: Intel Core i5 760
    • Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-P55A-UD4P
    • RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666)
    • System drive: Intel 80 GB X25M Mainstream SATA II Solid-State Drive (SSD)
    • Data drive: Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s
    • Video: XFX HD-485X-ZDFC Radeon HD 4850 1GB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16
    • DVD: ASUS DRW-24B1ST

I've got a giant power supply and SATA DVD burner in Goobertron that I can re-use. Buying from Amazon and Newegg, the cost will be a little over $1,100.

I've looked all over for pre-built systems that might be a better deal, but so far nothing comes close.

Now I just need to think of a new name. Boogertron? Troobergon? Uranus?

Last edited: Aug 22, 2010
  2. MAJ Badmotherfarker

MAJ Badmotherfarker is drinking a beer.

I had a gigabyte motherboard on my last build (P5k). Good machine. When I build a machine I usually build it using "most" and "best" reviews on Newegg and then drive to microcenter or Frys to pick up the parts.

3. memebag

memebag Top Brass, ADVP

Yes, most and best played a key role in picking these parts. I also looked at Tom's Hardware and some benchmark sites. There's always a point on the bang/buck curve where it starts to level off. Above that point, crazed tweakers who will spend anything for another iota of performance drive the market. I try to buy just below that point.

I could get the parts at Fry's or Microcenter, but they would almost certainly cost more and I would have to pay sales tax. All the Amazon stuff is shipped under my Amazon Prime deal, and most of the Newegg components have free shipping.

4. memebag

memebag Top Brass, ADVP

I changed my mind. I can do the i7-930, Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R and 6G of triple channel RAM for only $50 more and get another 1000 Passmarks and open up some of the PCI bottleneck.

5. Casual Fan

Casual Fan Surprisingly nice

6. MAJ Badmotherfarker

i7-930 is what I currently have. Great CPU. I have it overclocked to 4.2 Ghz.

7. memebag

memebag Top Brass, ADVP

How do you cool it?

8. MAJ Badmotherfarker

Got one of these with Arctic Silver coolant:

[​IMG]

Right now I'm on an Asus P6X58D premium motherboard with an NVIDIA GTX 470. I'm liking this set up for gaming. The quad core FINALLY allows me to get GTA 4 to stay at 60 FPS at top settings.

9. memebag

memebag Top Brass, ADVP

Wow. that fan is as big as Uranus!

10. MAJ Badmotherfarker

Yea, I had to get a pretty good size case to fit it. But, if you're going to overclock, that's what it takes (unless you want liquid cool). I'm never happy till I break the 4.0 Ghz mark. This 930 is the first one I got to 4.2 and it's pretty damned sweet. If you're into gaming, it makes a huge difference. There isn't a game that I've tried that I can't run at max settings.

11. MAJ Badmotherfarker

oh... and why are you going with Windows 7 premium?? Are you doing networking? I've never found anything for home use that would benefit from premium over home edition.

12. memebag

memebag Top Brass, ADVP

It's actually Windows 7 Home Premium.

I don't plan to game much on this system. Video recoding, some programming, and Mrs. Bag wants me to do something with it to make us millionaires.

13. Casual Fan

It probably involves her filming Uranus and charging men to see it.

I have a Core i7-860 at the office and it flies with Win 7 pro and just 4 GB RAM.

14. MAJ Badmotherfarker

Yup, I only have 6GBs in this machine and I can have multiple programs open while gaming without any issue. Right now I'm running IE (2 tabs), Firefox (9 tabs), 7 word docs, 1 excel sheet, 1 powerpoint, and Windows media player. I could launch Civ 4 and Photoshop right now and this machine wouldn't even stutter.

15. memebag

memebag Top Brass, ADVP

Men can see Uranus without a computer.

16. Casual Fan

How do you monetize that?

17. memebag

memebag Top Brass, ADVP

Street corner!

18. blyons200

blyons200 These pretzels are making me thirsty.

Yet it grinds to a halt every time you open itunes!:rofl:

Casual Fan likes this.
  19. Casual Fan

Yeah, there's a reason I don't have iTunes on my work rig! +1

20. memebag

memebag Top Brass, ADVP

I'm kind of hoping a 5,825 passmark CPU with top end data pipes and I/O can run iTunes without begging for its momma. I'm not counting on it, just holding out a faint hope.

Hey BMF, how does iTunes run on your system?