Mango Tree

Discussion in 'The Studio Lounge' started by JHDK, Jun 1, 2015.

1. JHDK

JHDK Release Robin's Bra

its mango tree christmas! ive been watching these stupid mangoes grow on the tree for months now. from the tree blooming with (pretty crappy looking) flowers in february, to full sized green mangoes hanging from the tree over the past few weeks. well todays the day they finally start to fall. i got 1 or 2 over the past week or so but today i got 16 perfect mangoes. today is just the tip of the iceberg. over the next few weeks i will be collecting mangoes like 5 times a day. ill wind up with around 500 when all is said and done. i eat a bunch of them but my father is all about them. i give most of them to him. a few go to various others but my dad will go crazy cutting and freezing them. by the time the tree is done he will have a freezer that is almost completely full of mangoes.

not my tree but just a pic to liven up the thread...mine is way taller. even those picker sticks u can get from home depot only reach the lowest ones on mine.

[​IMG]

MadisonRadio1 and HecticArt like this.
  2. semipenguin

semipenguin Bum Looker

Post picks of your mango tree.

When I was a kid you could buy mini banana trees.

JHDK likes this.
  3. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

Never get out of the boat!

memebag likes this.
  4. semipenguin

semipenguin Bum Looker

Mr Tallyman? Banana?

5. memebag

memebag Top Brass, ADVP

[​IMG]

semipenguin and HecticArt like this.
  6. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

All I wanted was mango man!

7. JHDK

JHDK Release Robin's Bra

here is my tree. well i guess it a community tree but screw that, its mine.

[​IMG]

i got 5 mangoes today before work. the real collection begins tonight though when im checking for new ones every half hour.

ill post more pics later.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2015
    HecticArt likes this.
  8. JHDK

JHDK Release Robin's Bra

mango update!!!

ive been gathering mangoes for 9 days now for a grand total of 170!!! i was able to get 22 just this morning before work. i brought a huge bag of around 40 to my father a couple days ago and ive given away another 50 or so to neighbors and coworkers.

my daily record so far was yesterday with 33. im on track to beat that today but we'll see.

here is (one of 2) windowsills full of perfect mangoes:

[​IMG]

and here is my pile of mangoes that are a bit too soft and i need to cut asap:

[​IMG]

btw...mango cutting is a very messy job.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2015
    semipenguin likes this.
  9. semipenguin

semipenguin Bum Looker

I have a few mango trees in Animal Crossing New Leaf.

They don't pay as much as some of the other fruits

10. greenearth

greenearth Active Member

Mango salad

semipenguin and JHDK like this.
  11. Evil_Ernie

Evil_Ernie Smell my finger

You can do it the Alton Brown way:

...or just get one of these:

[​IMG]

HecticArt and JHDK like this.
  12. JHDK

JHDK Release Robin's Bra

hah, yea i have that mango slicer and i dont like it. i do it kinda like in the video except u dont have to peel it. i just cut both sides and then u can kinda flip them inside out to remove the meat from the skin. no matter how u do it, it winds up being messy.

and all these videos (ive watched a bunch) dont factor in that the ones u get in the wild are often softer than the farmed ones in the store. the spot where they hit the ground is always mushy. thus u cant really cut slices or chunks from portions of many mangoes.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2015
  13. JHDK

JHDK Release Robin's Bra

mango update!!!

its been 15 days now and i just passed the 300 mark. my total is 314. i probably gave away around 200, eaten 50, and froze the rest.

i think the tree is about halfway done producing mangoes.

semipenguin likes this.
  14. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

semipenguin and JHDK like this.
  15. JHDK

JHDK Release Robin's Bra

EMERGENCY MANGO UPDATE!!!

disaster struck this morning.

the grounds keeping crew came by this morning with a cherry picker and plucked more than half of the remaining mangoes. BOO!!!!! the cherry picker they use is kinda low rent so they could not get the mangoes on the upper half of the tree.

what they do is grab all the mangoes and then put them in the main lobby and everyone is allowed to take 2. screw this fairness.

my mango count is likely to drop significantly now but there are still a lot left. just not as many as i would like.

16. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

Have you seen Treasure of the Sierra Madre?

Sent from Tapatalk

17. blyons200

blyons200 These pretzels are making me thirsty.

I picked what looked like a ripe orange from an orange tree that was growing on a job site I was working at in Florida, it was bitter as hell.

JHDK likes this.
  18. blyons200

blyons200 These pretzels are making me thirsty.

Now we know why Koop's dad likes mangos so much.

JHDK likes this.
  19. semipenguin

semipenguin Bum Looker

That's not a cherry picker, it's a mango picker

JHDK and memebag like this.
  20. IdRatherBeSkiing

IdRatherBeSkiing This space for rent

Mangos? We don't need no stinkin Mangos.

HecticArt and semipenguin like this.