Looking for new radio....

nightvoyager

Jan 13, 2009
Henderson, NV
Hello all!

I'm new here, but was on Sirius backstage for years.....

I have a Stiletto SL100, and I'm looking to go with something else, something plug, and play...what seems to be the best performing PNP radio out there??

BTW, I will be listing my Stiletto for sale....just FYI....

Thanks for any input!!

:cool:

limegrass69

Confused
Oct 12, 2008
New York
I've read some good things about the Sportster 5.

I still have my old Sportster Replay going strong at the office. The display gets really dim sometimes for no apparent reason, but it's been good to me over the years.

Hit up the TSS Radio guys and get some feedback from them.

mynameisjamie

Oct 10, 2008
Chicago, IL
Probably the Express RC on the XM side.

XM has pretty great radios. If you are looking for a really great PNP the Xpress RC has some of the best features and the screen is better than the Sportster 5.

If you are looking for a great portable I would say go with the XMp3. I could go on and on about how great this is but there are threads about it so...
Here is a link to the thread.

The best thing about both of these is that they are compatible with Best of XM.

Whatever you go with let us know!

limegrass69

Confused
Oct 12, 2008
New York
Yeah...If I did not have the lifetime Sirius sub, that's the radio I'd be looking at. So for now, I'm more or less married to Sirius equipment.

nightvoyager

Jan 13, 2009
Henderson, NV
I'm with limegrass69 on this one, I have a lifetime sub to Sirius as well, 4 years strong...;) so, I don't have the option on the XM side........yeah, the Sportster 5 looks nice...it seems to be the closest thing to the Stiletto in the PNP form....I like the fact that you don't have to worry about channel logos, and such as the Stiletto does....

Hmmmm....

mynameisjamie

Oct 10, 2008
Chicago, IL
Oh.
Yeah The Sportster 5 is certainly a great radio. I drooled over it before I caught a glimpse of the XpressRC.

It's pretty much the best PNP Sirius has. Any reason for switching from a portable to a PNP?

Not to kill the horse that's about to be beaten but....

This spring the MiRGE is coming out. It's just like the XpressRC but you can subscribe to Sirius on it?

limegrass69

Confused
Oct 12, 2008
New York
I have my eye on the MiRGE. I'll wait until it comes out to figure out what I am going to do. I have to balance the itch for some new gear with the desire to run my Sportster into the ground.

nightvoyager

Jan 13, 2009
Henderson, NV
Jamie...hey, well, I simply never use my Stiletto on a portable basis, actually, my Stiletto is still mint, hehe...:rolleyes:.....I like it, but I never really use the internet part of it...besides, I'd like something with a bigger screen..;)

spaceghost

Jan 20, 2009
The question is.. are you talking looks and cool features or reliability?
If you want something high tech and fancy lookin.. try anyone of the new models with a big ol 5 on the end.
if you want something that'll last- Try the Streamer Replay to be specific.. but pretty much any of our older radios will last yah. BTW, the older radios have stronger FM Transmitters (as long as they have not been fitted with the new transmitters that they sent out to everyone with an old model)

ClubSteeler

Oct 16, 2008
I don't understand.... The Stilletto is everybit as "plug n play" as the sportsters. I have a home dock, car dock, etc.. Plus the display is better. Not to mention that when are somewhere without a signal, you can listen to recorded music.

What really do you think you are gaining by downgrading to a Sportster? I can't think of one single reason why a sportster would be better in any way...

ClubSteeler

Oct 16, 2008
Is a color display important to you?

If not, I usually go on ebay. You can find a brand new sportster3 with complete car kit and complete home kit included for $75 or less.

Only see one right now: Item number 260346897124

nightvoyager

Jan 13, 2009
Henderson, NV
Yeah, that is a good deal! Actually, I pulled out my old Xact Visor, and am blown away by the strong FM transmitter in it...WAY better than the Stiletto's.....seems like those old 12-volt radios had some kick to them.....

ClubSteeler

Oct 16, 2008
Yeah, that is a good deal! Actually, I pulled out my old Xact Visor, and am blown away by the strong FM transmitter in it...WAY better than the Stiletto's.....seems like those old 12-volt radios had some kick to them.....

Don't assume the FM power has any correlation to voltage. Sirius has neutered every FM transmitter in every radio sold after a certain date.

My 12V Sportster Replay transmits for a about a 6 inch radius.

And, I've learned the hard way, that when a radio is refurbed, they fix the problem, but also neuter the transmitter while they have it.

nightvoyager

Jan 13, 2009
Henderson, NV
Yeah, I don't know if it's the voltage or not...It just seems like some of the 12-volt models are better. Not all though...;)

Why did they switch from 12-volt to 5-volt anyway?

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Yeah, I don't know if it's the voltage or not...It just seems like some of the 12-volt models are better. Not all though...;)

Why did they switch from 12-volt to 5-volt anyway?

Probably had smaller less power hungry chips. I think the greater the voltage, the higher the heat. Almost all satrads today are 5V. I think there is a benifit for lower voltages as this seems to be the direction both Sirius and XM took.

nightvoyager

Jan 13, 2009
Henderson, NV
Yeah, true, the heat thing...yeah, I noticed my old JVC SR2000 would get real hot, and that was a 12-volt radio. My old Stiletto SL100 seemed to get pretty hot, but I think that's because the electronics inside are mounted right against the chassis of the unit. In that respect, my 12-volt Visor seems to run about the same as the Stiletto. Yeah, I bet your right about the chips too. I think the newwer generation chips are probebly smaller, and less power hungry...

Thanks guys!