Lions thanksgiving game

Discussion in 'NFL' started by TSSJimmyCoN, Nov 17, 2008.

1. TSSJimmyCoN

TSSJimmyCoN Member

So I just read that some owners are quietly lobbying to take this game away from the Lions due to what a pathetic piece of sh*t franchise this has become. I did not know that William Clay Ford generated so much advertising money to the NFL and that is the only reason they're letting the lions still keep this game. Any thoughts?

2. flap_jackson

flap_jackson Well-Known Member

If my iffy Panthers can somewhat beat the crap out of them, then you know they're bad. I would watch a matchup of Lions vs. Oakland. See who is the WORST team in the entire league

3. goreds2

goreds2 Well-Known Member

The Lions are just going through some down time like any franchise usually does. It seems they usually play well on Thanksgiving no matter what their record is.

4. AJ_II

AJ_II Well-Known Member

Beat the crap out of them? Carolina was only up by 2 with like six minutes left in the game. Could have been tied had Detroit got the 2-point conversion.

5. TSSJimmyCoN

TSSJimmyCoN Member

are you watching the same lions I have watched on the past 4 thanksgivings????

6. IdRatherBeSkiing

IdRatherBeSkiing This space for rent

Probably not. Those were SuperBowl contenders compared to this year's Lions.

7. MM

MM Administrator

I sure hope so. ;)

8. MichaelC

MichaelC Member

I'm no Lions fan, but Thanksgiving wouldn't seem the same without seeing them. The Lions and Cowboys shouldn't be touched. They've hosted these Thanksgiving games when no other franchise would. Besides, there's been phases before when the Lions have lost several years in a row on Thanksgiving. How fitting would it be they go into the Thanksgiving game 0-11, while Tennessee is 11-0....and have the Lions win that.

9. AJ_II

AJ_II Well-Known Member

This is worse than just "some down time", when you consider they haven't been to the playoffs since the 1999 season...and they don't appear to be going back anytime soon. The only team that comes close to Detroit that I can think of is Houston (unfortunately)...they've been around since '02 and have never been to the playoffs, and like the Lions, don't appear to be going any time soon. The Cardinals haven't been since 1998, but I'm assuming they'll go this year.

Just to add to the pain of Lion fans, I'll throw this one out as well...Detroit hasn't won a playoff game since 1991. Almost 20 years!

EDIT: I guess I overlooked San Fran...they've been pretty bad for a while now, too. I think their last appearance in the playoffs was the 1998 season.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2008
  10. Ifandorbut

Ifandorbut Well-Known Member

On Thanksgiving I like to celebrate by sharing in a bountiful feast with friends and family, just as the original settlers did with the native Indians. After the feasting I like to partake in watching the Lions being wiped off the playing field, just like....{edit}:eek:

:(

11. IdRatherBeSkiing

SF won a couple SuperBowls in there. How may has Detroit won?

12. MM

MM Administrator

0.0 :)

13. goreds2

goreds2 Well-Known Member

I have read that quote before regarding a talk show subject. ;)

14. MM

MM Administrator

It was only shown to state how many times the Lions have been in the Super Bowl. :) ;)

15. IdRatherBeSkiing

Well, there's always next year. :rofl:

16. TSSJimmyCoN

TSSJimmyCoN Member

no there isn't....no there isn't

17. semipenguin

semipenguin Bum Looker

Somebody please bring back Wayne Fontes...:mad:

I would rather the Thanksgiving Game be played in the state where Thanksgiving started until the Lions can see fit to put a winning product on the field. And why can't an AFC team host the Thanksgiving Game? If you really want to make it fair, have the two teams that played in the last Superbowl host the games. Don't they deserve that?...:right:

Yeah, we're going through some lean years as 49er fans. Since the change in ownership, things just don't seem to be doing that good. Maybe that will change...:(

18. MM

MM Administrator

19. TSSJimmyCoN

TSSJimmyCoN Member

yep...crappy

20. snakester

snakester Member

LOL @ down time being a total understatement:hah: