Let's be real, Tim S. not giving bubba a 10a-2p slot also caused this situation

jef

Power Pig, Hello!
Oct 12, 2008
I agree. Todays show was pretty cool, especially cuz it felt like he was talking to us (Satellite) and not them (FM kids).

Tucker is always good. I think that a lot of people are forgetting that the show isn't just about shocking the puss, the torture rack, and all that. Like Howard's show, it's often about a bunch of people just hanging out and talking and entertaining (some of) us.

Would uncensored be better? Most definitely yes. However, perhaps we should be more pissed off at our puritan heritage - and those people who can't let it go - than anything else. Then, which show we got wouldn't be an issue.

Forevernever

Dec 3, 2008
Tucker is always good. I think that a lot of people are forgetting that the show isn't just about shocking the puss, the torture rack, and all that. Like Howard's show, it's often about a bunch of people just hanging out and talking and entertaining (some of) us.

perhaps we should be more pissed off at our puritan heritage - and those people who can't let it go - than anything else. Then, which show we got wouldn't be an issue.

Wha? Out "puritan heritage" is responsible for Sirius not delivering uncensored content as promised? For Howard 101 replaying a censored terrestrial broadcast on a channel people are paying money to get uncensored, original content from? :jj:

I like grape cool-aid best.

Last edited:

adeedew

Dec 27, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
but you have to admit sirius really mislead everyone on this "resigning" did they not? Come on, they're all guilty, howard, bubba and sirius for this genius plan. The blow would have been lessened if fans where warned, but why be honest with paying customers? It's the place you want to go to for exclusive content right? Like showtime and hbo right? Just should have kept it to bubba on friday, and mon - thurs others but exclusive content to 101/sirius. Mistake. And im a fan.

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
They did what was best for everyone involved... except for the listeners...

Howard is the #1 talent at Sirius XM. Wouldn't it make sense that his show is on at 6 AM all over the country?

IMO, a "replay" isn't that until the show has previously aired. The West Coast Feed isn't a replay, it's a show for the West Coast mornings.

They could have gone 10-2 on another Sirius channel and replayed it at 3 PM on 101.

Maybe this WILL be the best situation for the fans...in the long-term. Sirius keeps Bubba. Bubba only does 1 show a day, and 2 on Fridays. He's at home with the family in the evenings, living somewhat of a normal life. He can watch his kid grow up and actually do the fathering thing that he probably couldn't do if he was at work from 5 AM to 7 PM four days a week. (I don't know his exact hours obviously, but that's close enough.)

We don't have to listen to him bitch out Sirius management and he has more energy to focus on doing a show. In two years, if Howard retires, then Sirius is still "warm" for him to come to full-time. AND we don't get the eight minute intro with the Jimi, "previously on", FTE, Gatorade Deal, and song, that some were bitching about.

We obviously can't hear any cursing, but does Bubba need to curse to put on a good show? No.

Over on the btls.com forums, Bubba said this was the last last last last last option.

Maybe once the shitstorm blows over, things won't be as bad as they seem.

As for giving money to other talent, it's a losing situation all around. Yes, those who deserve the money certainly should be awarded with it, but you can't give all your money to a few players and expect to sign up new subscribers.

jef

Power Pig, Hello!
Oct 12, 2008
Wha? Out "puritan heritage" is responsible for Sirius not delivering uncensored content as promised? For Howard 101 replaying a censored terrestrial broadcast on a channel people are paying money to get uncensored, original content? :jj:

Um, no - what I'm saying is that the puritans in this country that can't handle a few swear words on the radio or a boob on TV mean you have to look to a pay service to find a program that actually talks like the majority of Americans do in their every day life.

dlynx

Oct 9, 2008
Michigan.
www.btlsfan.com
Wha? Out "puritan heritage" is responsible for Sirius not delivering uncensored content as promised? For Howard 101 replaying a censored terrestrial broadcast on a channel people are paying money to get uncensored, original content? :jj:

Face it, the uncensored aspects of the Howard's channels have been a farce from the very beginning. No where in corporate america is a board of directors and management going to allow things to turn into anarchy where chaos rules. Yes the rules are laxed more then what would be permitted by the FCC on terrestrial broadcasts, but there has always been definite lines drawn in the sand. And I can't blame Sirius or anyone else for it. You have to maintain a certain level of accountability and responsibility when you have to answer to shareholders, customers, directors, etc.

Some of Bubba's best of the Sirius only content was at the very beginning when chaos reined supreme, and since then he has been reeled in to conform with the standards. What we were receiving for most of last year in reality is not all that different from what I heard today on the show. Yes there is some differences, the profanity is gone, obscenity has to be carny'd and subtly hinted at instead of thrown in your face, but on a whole I kind of enjoyed the show today.

To be sure there is some things that I feel need to be tweaked to appeal to the broader audience that satellite brings, and really even a syndicated show. The focus needs to be less on Florida news, and more on national news items. One of the worse aspects of any syndicated show is being stuck in the Bubble. The same has been said about other shows.

I think in a way that having the terrestrial Bubba show available is a good thing. You know Bubba is going to push the edge.... you know he's going to get heat at some point from the FCC/Cox/whoever else. I wouldn't want to see him get hammered, but it will be interesting to hear it. And if worse comes to worse and he does have the axe fall, we will all be in a position to have front row seats to witness it and the aftermath of it.

The show will evolve, I'm sure that bubba has the talent and ability to do it and make it something that we all want to hear. So long as he keeps us (the national audience/satellite audience) in mind as he builds this thing.

In some ways I already prefer the new show to what we have been receiving.

Ifandorbut

Oct 12, 2008

Would uncensored be better? Most definitely yes. However, perhaps we should be more pissed off at our puritan heritage - and those people who can't let it go - than anything else. Then, which show we got wouldn't be an issue.

I listened to the last twenty minutes of Bubba's show the other day. I heard a song parody, at least I think it was...there were a lot of beeps and censor sounds to cover up the "bad words" and "bad concepts" within the song. I had no idea what the song was about or any inclination as to what the person was singing about.

That's phase one of censorship.

Phase two is the sort of censorship where conceptual ideas for the show cannot even be talked about, let alone be aired over the radio as a bit. This second phase is the type that plagued Howard during his last years at terrestrial radio. Howard talked about the censorship quite a bit, in fact it was, as he puts it, the main reason he left terrestrial radio in search of a better home with more freedoms at satellite radio.

Within a year, if Bubba faces more in the way of censorship, you as an ardent listener might not be able to hear the guys sitting around and just shooting the shit.

Some people can be funny without swearing. I don't know Bubba's show well enough to make that call. Maybe his type of show can fly in Florida, who knows?

Forevernever

Dec 3, 2008
Um, no - what I'm saying is that the puritans in this country that can't handle a few swear words on the radio or a boob on TV mean you have to look to a pay service to find a program that actually talks like the majority of Americans do in their every day life.

I know what you're saying, and I think it takes a fair bit of mental gymnastics to blame society's puritanical leanings for this situation. But if it works for you, more power to you.

Chob

Oct 11, 2008
Albany, NY
www.kingbubba.com
Bubba should be live on another Sirius channel in the morning, use his old timeslot for some new talent.
Agreed. The show should be airing live at least. Either on Sirius Stars Too, Raw Dog, or some other channel.
In some ways I already prefer the new show to what we have been receiving.
Yup. I still enjoyed he Sirius show, but started to prefer the show with a more fired up and energetic Bubba.

TheScionicMan

Last non-Hating Stern Fan
Oct 11, 2008
I listened to the last twenty minutes of Bubba's show the other day. I heard a song parody, at least I think it was...there were a lot of beeps and censor sounds to cover up the "bad words" and "bad concepts" within the song. I had no idea what the song was about or any inclination as to what the person was singing about.

That's phase one of censorship.

Phase two is the sort of censorship where conceptual ideas for the show cannot even be talked about, let alone be aired over the radio as a bit. This second phase is the type that plagued Howard during his last years at terrestrial radio. Howard talked about the censorship quite a bit, in fact it was, as he puts it, the main reason he left terrestrial radio in search of a better home with more freedoms at satellite radio.

Within a year, if Bubba faces more in the way of censorship, you as an ardent listener might not be able to hear the guys sitting around and just shooting the shit.

Some people can be funny without swearing. I don't know Bubba's show well enough to make that call. Maybe his type of show can fly in Florida, who knows?

It's not the swearing, its the other angles like you said. And there's still no guidelines from the FCC so there's no way to tell where the line is so better stay 2 steps away from where it may be.

edweird

Nov 18, 2008
Daytona Beach, FL
I think that money was reason #1 for why we are where we are with Bubba on Sirius.

If I had to guess, I'd bet that the amount Bubba and crew were asking for wasn't so much the issue (compared to other similar deals in the industry) but rather lack of money at Sirius to pay for it.

If Bubba and crew didn't accept or offer to continue the old arrangement which had them working really long days for what they described as sub-par pay, then I understand that as well.

Maybe Bubba will write a book some years from now, and we will get some details and some more insight into what was going on behind the scenes.

hank-the-dwarf

Oct 12, 2008
Baltimore Md
I would work an 8 hr day like bubba did! Think about it work 4 hrs have a 5 hr break and then work the other 4! It really could not have been that bad!

Snoozer

Oct 13, 2008
Canada Eh!
Isn't there creative meetings. merch stuff, promotions, booking, writing, commericals to record, live appearances to prepare for and probably a number of other things they have to do that I'm not even aware of in radio. I think theres more than just the time there on air.
Don't get me wrong I don't like the situation and will only listen to the live show on Fridays but come on, theres more work than just the show itself to work on.
The best situation would have been if Sirius offered them enough cash to dump the FM censored show but they didn't.

Reactions: Chob

TimTimSalabim

Oct 17, 2008
It's not the swearing, its the other angles like you said. And there's still no guidelines from the FCC so there's no way to tell where the line is so better stay 2 steps away from where it may be.

This is the real bummer. Bubba's strength was not just crossing the line, but stomping all over it, in ways that not even Stern does any more. On the FM show he has to walk it carefully, it's just not nearly as entertaining IMO.

beaniemac

Dec 12, 2008
Chi-Town (South Side)
I would work an 8 hr day like bubba did! Think about it work 4 hrs have a 5 hr break and then work the other 4! It really could not have been that bad!

I disagree. a split shift is total horse sh*t cuz it monopolizes ur day, cuz its like u have two part time jobs. I mean u can't go get sh*t faced after the first job, cuz u still got another job to do.

Reactions: Bark

hank-the-dwarf

Oct 12, 2008
Baltimore Md
I disagree. a split shift is total horse sh*t cuz it monopolizes ur day, cuz its like u have two part time jobs. I mean u can't go get sh*t faced after the first job, cuz u still got another job to do.
No but you could pretend you workout at your own gym like bubba and balloon up to 350lbs! LOL

jagger

Oct 13, 2008
Illinois
I am happy to just have Bubber on in whatever fashion. He and his crew are a talented bunch censored or not.

But I find it really disturbing that they are re-airing a censored FM broadcast on Howards channels. It does not fit for me and comes across as hypocritical considering the stuff Howard has said about "watered down censored testicular radio" since coming to Sirius.
And to hear Howard trying to justify it on Tuesday was pretty damn lame imo. I understand that we should be happy to get Bubba at all but anything that plays on 100 or 101 should NEVER be censored! And if that means we only get an uncensored Friday show from Bubba then so be it.