Katy Perry

Casual Fan

Surprisingly nice
Oct 14, 2008
Roanoke, VA
Like so many pop stars, Katy Perry appears to be a talented individual who's been conned into performing shitty pop music and flashing her boobs. (Not that I object to the boobs.) Anyway, this interview with her playing her first song totally reminded me of Joni Mitchell...and then she says she was influenced by Joni Mitchell.

Joni Mitchell never played crap, but she didn't have Katy's boobs, either. Maybe Katy will come around.

Katy Perry Sings Her First Song - YouTube

Wolf

Oct 11, 2008
Phoenix
This is the song, that pretty much put her on the map.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGpivJnITbM]Katy Perry I Kissed a Girl Official Video. - YouTube[/ame]

SIRIUSaboutXM

DRC Special Contributor
Oct 29, 2008
Anderson, SC
Like so many pop stars, Katy Perry appears to be a talented individual who's been conned into performing shitty pop music and flashing her boobs. (Not that I object to the boobs.) Anyway, this interview with her playing her first song totally reminded me of Joni Mitchell...and then she says she was influenced by Joni Mitchell.

Joni Mitchell never played crap, but she didn't have Katy's boobs, either. Maybe Katy will come around.

Katy Perry Sings Her First Song - YouTube
And who doesn't like whipped cream... which can also be used as a Firework :party:
kpcaliforniadreams.jpg

kingchuck69

Joker! Joker! Joker!
Oct 11, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
chuck69.com
Katy Perry was originally a Christian pop singer under her real name, Katy Hudson (of course she switched it to Perry, her mother's maiden name to avoid confusion with the actress).

I remember when "I Kissed a Girl" came out several years ago, ALTERNATIVE stations were spinning it, probably due to it being about two chicks kissing. Oh, and I love the fact that the song was a rip-off of the 1990's Jill Sobule tune that many radio stations axed because of its lyrical content. Way to go, Katy. :/

IMO, Katy is quite overrated, thank you very much.

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN
I love how we look back fondly women or groups fronted by women, but someone like Perry is looked down upon or dismissed :)

Dusty Springfield. Petula Clark. Joan Jett. Debbie Harry. The Go-Go's. Madonna.

In 20 years, people will look back fondly on Katy Perry. Someone new will come along & be dismissed as a fad or passing thing.

What goes around, comes around :)

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S III using Tapatalk :)

Casual Fan

Surprisingly nice
Oct 14, 2008
Roanoke, VA
So you're not a fan of the Beatles, Beach Boys, Crystals or any of the other great pop artists?

The Beach Boys and Beatles (like Katy, apparently) had true talent, and sang and played their own instruments quite well. Katy could do both, but she's chosen to do over-produced, over-sexed electronically altered noise.

I don't know if I'd classify the Beatles as pop, either. They did rock, blues, psychadelic, country, folk and...pop!

Casual Fan

Surprisingly nice
Oct 14, 2008
Roanoke, VA
I love how we look back fondly women or groups fronted by women, but someone like Perry is looked down upon or dismissed :)

Dusty Springfield. Petula Clark. Joan Jett. Debbie Harry. The Go-Go's. Madonna.

In 20 years, people will look back fondly on Katy Perry. Someone new will come along & be dismissed as a fad or passing thing.

What goes around, comes around :)

I'm with you on everyone but Madonna. She was just Katy Perry thirty years younger. The others had talent and weren't the product of machines. Belinda Carlisle can sing, man!

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
The Beach Boys and Beatles (like Katy, apparently) had true talent, and sang and played their own instruments quite well. Katy could do both, but she's chosen to do over-produced, over-sexed electronically altered noise.

I don't know if I'd classify the Beatles as pop, either. They did rock, blues, psychadelic, country, folk and...pop!

Production (and over-production) is at the core of pop music. The Beatles had George Martin. The Beach Boys had Brian Wilson. The Crystals had Phil Spector. The Wall of Sound is the canonical example of over-production. Could The Crystals sing and play instruments? Is anyone really sure who's singing or playing on "Da Doo Ron Ron"? No. But it's one of the greatest pop songs every recorded.

The Beatles had talent, but they started out as just another boy band. Their early recorded work is pure pop music.

And "over-sexed"? This is pop music we're talking about. The singer of "Da Doo Ron Ron" never tells us what happened with "Bill" when he walked her home. Just ... "do doo ron ron ron do doo ron ron".

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN
Production (and over-production) is at the core of pop music. The Beatles had George Martin. The Beach Boys had Brian Wilson. The Crystals had Phil Spector. The Wall of Sound is the canonical example of over-production. Could The Crystals sing and play instruments? Is anyone really sure who's singing or playing on "Da Doo Ron Ron"? No. But it's one of the greatest pop songs every recorded.

The Beatles had talent, but they started out as just another boy band. Their early recorded work is pure pop music.

And "over-sexed"? This is pop music we're talking about. The singer of "Da Doo Ron Ron" never tells us what happened with "Bill" when he walked her home. Just ... "do doo ron ron ron do doo ron ron".

Tomorrow Never Knows is so very over produced, but has to be my favorite Beatles song :)

Led Zeppelin overlaid both vocal & guitar tracks on almost all their songs.

SIRIUSaboutXM

DRC Special Contributor
Oct 29, 2008
Anderson, SC
What I find interesting and different about Katy Kat, is her different take on popular music, fashion, culture, etc. since she was so sheltered from that aspect of life in her strict religious upbringing. She's a late bloomer in some respects.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
A lot of the Beatles' later stuff is what you would call 'over-produced' but it still holds up to this day.

Pop music in this day and age is interesting. Amy Winehouse, Lady Gaga, and I suppose to a certain extent, Katy Perry could be in the category of having actual talent (Lady Gaga attended Julliard and writes her own stuff, and is a classically-trained piano player herself) and I'm a fan of Lady Gaga and Amy Winehouse (haven't heard enough of Perry's stuff to really gauge). Then you have the manufactured Justin Bieber, One Direction stuff who will become less popular once they get ugly since the music don't hold.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
There's a difference between "production" when it's used to enhance, orchestrate, or add depth to a song performed by competent musicians, and "over-produced" when it's used to hide the fact that an artist doesn't know how to sing or play their instruments.

The Beatles were a great example of musicians that knew their craft, but used the studio as another instrument.

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
There's a difference between "production" when it's used to enhance, orchestrate, or add depth to a song performed by competent musicians, and "over-produced" when it's used to hide the fact that an artist doesn't know how to sing or play their instruments.

The Beatles were a great example of musicians that knew their craft, but used the studio as another instrument.

I disagree. All that matters is the result. The level of talent doesn't matter. You could have the greatest instrumentalists and vocalists in the world, but if it isn't on the record it doesn't mean dick. Conversely, if a gang of no talent schlubbs stumbles onto a great sounding recording, it's still a great sounding recording. That's generally what makes one hit wonders so wonderful.