just bought a slacker g2

Discussion in 'Slacker Radio' started by Kevin2500, Dec 27, 2008.

1. Kevin2500

Kevin2500 Member

I figured i try the slacker again and i have a couple of questions.

How long should i charge the radio for it to work right

and how do i do the update

2. DAB

DAB Mod Emeritus

If you plug it in it will generally fully charge within 2 hours or less.

Just make sure you go into your online web player and go to Manage Account and enter your G2 Radio ID in there.

Then add whatever channels you want and do a refresh. Are you doing the refresh by Wifi or you planning to do it via USB? If you are doing USB, make sure you install the USB Station Refresher. This is not the software player, that is different and you really don't need it. I would not install it if I were you.

Remember the initial refreshing can take hours depending on the number of channels you select. I would start with just 2 or 3 channels if you are impatient and this way it would keep it down to an hour or so.

Now once the channel update, you'll see it downloading the software. You must unplug it from USB with at least 50% battery power and shut it down by hitting the play/pause button for 5 seconds. You'll see shutting down. Now when you start it, it will show you that it is updating. Let it finish before you do anything else.

You should be good to go!

3. Kevin2500

Kevin2500 Member

I even made sure my firewalls were turned off and everything and it still says connecting how do i fix this.

4. If it says connecting that is a good thing :eek:
    If your doing usb give it a little time. After a little while it should enable that connection, and start refreshing.

5. Kevin2500

Kevin2500 Member

On the screen it says your stations was refreshed some time ago and it also said. slacker connection sucessfully enabled. Im connecting with usb and i picked 2 stations. So how long do i wait for when i plug it in to usb. And it also said local area connection unplugged

Last edited: Dec 28, 2008
  6. DAB

DAB Mod Emeritus

I found that sometimes it takes up to 5 minutes depending on your internet provider and speed. But once it gets going you should see a screen showing you the progress of the downloads for refreshing channels and software downloads.

Check out the link in this thread if you are in fact having trouble it will give you some trouble shooting tips.

http://www.digitalradiocentral.com/...portable-player-read-first-slacker-forum.html

7. Kevin2500

Kevin2500 Member

thank you very much for the help. I checked everything and all of my firewalls are shut off. So i have nothin to worry about the local connection being unplugged and my internet provider is yahoo dsl. How does the slacker do with Dsl

8. DAB

DAB Mod Emeritus

Works just fine, I would think!

Well I don't know your current setup enough to know if local connection unplugged means anything. How does your DSL connection get to your computer? Is it through a router or directly? Because usually local connection being uplugged means there is no connection between your computer and network or router etc.

It is hard to tell someone what something means without sort of know the tripoligy of their network or internet access.

I know if I get that on my home computer that means I am no longer connected to my router and I will not have access to my home server or internet access.

So the question is are your stations on your slacker refreshing or not?

9. Kevin2500

Kevin2500 Member

I know nothin about internet connection sharing. I plug it in in to the usb and its charging.And i check where it says slacker local area connection 6 or somethin like that and it says connected and for about 3 secs it disconnects it. Thats my main problem. Everything else is fine.

10. DAB

DAB Mod Emeritus

My suggestion is for you to try to chat with Slacker support about this. These guys are really good at troubleshooting connection issues.

11. gilpdawg

gilpdawg Active Member

I just took the plunge on Saturday, but I'm just now getting around to cracking this thing open. I bought the damn thing because of DAB's raving, and because I love the web player. :) But DAB pushed me over the edge. I bought the only one in stock at Best Buy at Springdale, OH.

12. Kevin2500

Kevin2500 Member

Does slacker work well with a laptop because im thinking about geting me one. This afternoon i thought i got it to work on my computer but the local area connection thing keeps disappearing. Everything else i did right. What am i doing wrong?

13. DAB

DAB Mod Emeritus

Did you contact Slacker support via Chat? They will help you with this, there are too many variable for us to try to help you resolve this here on the forum.

14. gilpdawg

gilpdawg Active Member

I'm having problems with mine. It keeps locking up. I will try to refresh and hopefully it will update the firmware, because I think I'm still running a very old one, and see if that helps. I can't even get through one song and it locks up.

15. DAB

DAB Mod Emeritus

Let us know how you make out with the update. Make sure you battery is over 50% when you run do this because if the battery is less than 50% it will ignore the update.

The 2 that I bought are very stable and the 1.6.98 firmware has fixed up any issues they would have possibly had. Well so far so good, both of them connecting via Wifi to refresh!

16. gilpdawg

gilpdawg Active Member

I figured out that it was shutting itself down when the backlight switched off. I set the backlight to "always on" and that fixed the problem. I'll probably return it and get another one, because that's obviously not supposed to be happening, but I can actually listen to it for now.

17. DAB

DAB Mod Emeritus

If it is playing and the backlight goes out, no it shouldn't shut down! Now if it isn't playing that is normal because it will go into standby mode to save battery. Generally does this after about 3 minutes.

You may want to contact Slacker support as they may be able to get you to reset or restore the device and it may fix it, could just be a glitch! Worth a shot!

18. gilpdawg

gilpdawg Active Member

I think it's bricked. I can't even get it to come on now.

19. DAB

DAB Mod Emeritus

If you bought it locally I'd just exchange it. Sounds like it was defective anyway. The Slacker forum shows how to do a total recovery if you'd like the link I can provide it to you. They of course don't recommend you do it unless you contact them, but they are closed through the holiday now and it maybe worth taking a shot.

20. gilpdawg

gilpdawg Active Member

I found a link for doing a recovery on a G1...but nothing on the G2. But I'm willing to try it because I bought this in Cincinnati, and I'm about a 90 minute drive away.