I've come a conclusion most will disagree with.

Snoozer

Oct 13, 2008
Canada Eh!
I know most of you guys will disagree with me but I have to say after listening this week and to past specials and The History of Howard Stern, I gotta say. I like the show now a lot more than the so called "better days" Maybe it's because I didn't listen much back then or that it just seems dated? I don't know but I know I prefer the new show to the old show.
Like I said, maybe it's just me. Anyone else agree?

Reactions: ProperModulation

Ehilbert1

Ooh-Rah!!!!
Oct 13, 2008
Columbus, OH
I liked Howard back in those fight days because he was relentless and I kinda miss that. I just think he is way more happy these days. He has his hot wife,huge bank account and house in the Hamptons. If I had all that I would be a lot more laid back too. I still think the shows great though.

Snoozer

Oct 13, 2008
Canada Eh!
I should be clear, I don't hate the old days and you're right Howard is enteraining when he's vicious LOL Like when he was wishing that guy with cancer would die. ha ha Just plain evil.... It wasn't a bad show I just prefer what they do now.

JoeTan

Oct 14, 2008
MOST of the reason why it was good was due to them "getting away with murder" on free FM radio with language/content. Fighting with management, FCC, etc was good radio.

Doesn't exist anymore.

ProperModulation

Green Type of Tube
Oct 11, 2008
California
For me, the greatest era of the show has always been "now". Other than the "seat filler" era that is...

Those shows were great back then and are still great today, but I think the current show is better than it's ever been.

Bark

Hey Now!
Oct 15, 2008
Frederick, MD
I don't pine for the "glory days" either. The show is just a talk entertainment program. It's entertaining, so I listen to it.

It's similar to the "Battlestar Galactica" finale. Everyone seemed to hate it, but I was entertained. No complaints from me. I was also never a die-hard fanboy of it either. Although I think I caught every episode at one point or another, I never watched the webisodes or bought/rented the DVDs. It's just entertainment, and I can appreciate it on a light level.

I think that the most passionate fans for anything are the fans that will turn to vitriolic criticisms when things don't go the way they think they should. It's only human. I feel that way about some things, but I recognize I should lighten up and let it go and honestly make the effort to do so. Life's too short, and heart conditions run in my family. :D

Vargas

Molon Labe!
Oct 16, 2008
Western, PA
Fight week, for me, has been almost unlistenable.

These things are hilarious when they are in the moment but to listen to a 10 year old fight over something nobody cares about is just not fun to listen to. these Fights were funny then but aren't funny now because so much of the show is "in the moment" that they're just not really interesting anymore.

However, giving some of it a listen, I will say that I'm SO glad Stuttering John and Jackie are both off the show.

Artie is so much better.

Bark

Hey Now!
Oct 15, 2008
Frederick, MD
Fight week, for me, has been almost unlistenable.

These things are hilarious when they are in the moment but to listen to a 10 year old fight over something nobody cares about is just not fun to listen to. these Fights were funny then but aren't funny now because so much of the show is "in the moment" that they're just not really interesting anymore.

However, giving some of it a listen, I will say that I'm SO glad Stuttering John and Jackie are both off the show.

Artie is so much better.

If you were a member of my extended family, fight week would seem like a typical holiday get-together, strangely comforting and familiar despite the raised voices and altered states of consciousness. :D

jef

Power Pig, Hello!
Oct 12, 2008
For me, the greatest era of the show has always been "now".

Agreed - it's been an evolving and changing show, and I find it interesting to see what new things will come down the pike. Not all of them are winners (most Jack and Rod stuff), but some stuff is great (George Takei - oh my!).

beaniemac

Dec 12, 2008
Chi-Town (South Side)
I like any shows from the mid 90's up til now. I mean thats cuz thats when I started listening, and I have seen most of those shows on E! already. I dont like shows that are too dated. like before there was internet and things like that. also, I agree, old howard was much more vicious than the howard we have now.

Bark

Hey Now!
Oct 15, 2008
Frederick, MD
There's only so much hate and anger a man can express before the tank runs dry. Hell, it lasted over 35 years! I would say that's plenty. ;)

TheScionicMan

Last non-Hating Stern Fan
Oct 11, 2008
If he'd kept it up, the same complainers would say he's done it to death and it's old and why can't he evolve?

I don't get how pining over the old show accomplishes anything. :idunno:

Answer most frequently given: I want to hear what he's going to say next...

TheScionicMan

Last non-Hating Stern Fan
Oct 11, 2008
This was one of the lowest-bickering vacation weeks in a while. IMO, that means they did a good job on it, altho they could have done something for Friday...

Reactions: Bark

jnockels

Mar 1, 2009
Yankton, SD
I know most of you guys will disagree with me but I have to say after listening this week and to past specials and The History of Howard Stern, I gotta say. I like the show now a lot more than the so called "better days" Maybe it's because I didn't listen much back then or that it just seems dated? I don't know but I know I prefer the new show to the old show.
Like I said, maybe it's just me. Anyone else agree?

I agree. I like the show the way it is right now.
I have been listening since '89 or '90 and I think the show is currently the funniest it has ever been.
I am sick of the Sybian, but other than that....well, I hope he signs on for a couple more years at Sirius/XM

VinnyM27

Oct 14, 2008
I liked Howard back in those fight days because he was relentless and I kinda miss that. I just think he is way more happy these days. He has his hot wife,huge bank account and house in the Hamptons. If I had all that I would be a lot more laid back too. I still think the shows great though.

I think I would agree with this. Howard isn't hungry anymore. Sirius sadly came too late..... I think the show is much better know than it was between from March 2001 to about April 2004 (when I was listening less and less...the FCC/Clear Channel/Sirius stuff gave him a shot in the arm).

Grüpsaar

DRC Forum Bum
Oct 11, 2008
Anytown, WI
www.youtube.com
I'll have to agree with the general consensus here. I love fight week, but love a live show more. The show is almost night and day differen't now, but I like tuning in and hearing them discuss what's going on today. It's just so much more a laid back banter filled chat rather then always seekeing for something to complain about and berate. Of course, I do like when there is a random quibble or some sort of disagreement on the show now, too. :D