Issues Trying To Memo Songs On Starmate Replay

crazy25

Oct 19, 2008
Since the channel update Wednesday morning, anybody else having trouble trying to Memo artists and songs for their Sirius Plug and Play radios? I use a Starmate Replay and they're many channels than I cannot memo (such as BPM, Pop2K), some I can just memo song title but, I could seem to Memo items off Hits 1 (I am guessing since it is a Sirius only channel, maybe...)

Thanks for any thoughts on this!

Grüpsaar

DRC Forum Bum
Oct 11, 2008
Anytown, WI
www.youtube.com
Here's my theory I posted in another thread.

I'm pretty sure this has to do with where these stations are coming from now.

Before Sirius updated their channels, but after XM did, there were some of XM's channels that were sirius named, but were NOT playing the same songs as their sirius counterparts before the update. For example, Octane, Lithium, and a few others did not sync up. Both stations had the same name, but different songs.

It was believed that those stations were being run from DC now, and after the Sirius update, the synced up, which pretty much proves XM's DC control center is running those stations. Also, this is proven further since Octane is one of the few stations being programmed by XM people, former Squizz programmers. So, there's no doubt that this is coming from XM's computers, which means incompatibility with Sirius tuners probably.

Alt nation hasn't changed one bit, and must still be from Sirius' computers, and I'm able to do artist seek on that channel. So, whichever channels are from DC, you can't artist seek, whichever are from Sirius, you can.

Snoozer

Oct 13, 2008
Canada Eh!
Shitty I hadn't even noticed but now that you mention it my Sportster 5 hasn't beeped in a few days to tell me an artist I like is playing.
I only bought the damn thing a month ago.

Snoozer

Oct 13, 2008
Canada Eh!
Hopefully, I did notice today in the car a couple channels 'beeped' letting me know something else was on. Did get a chance to look and see what station or artist though.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
It could also be that Sirius always used the PID for setting off the artist/song alerts, whereas I think XM just used a exact text match method. Until both systems get on the same page I think this will continue to be a problem.

Do not ask me what PID is, I don't actually know I just remeber some of the gurus in the past talking about the Sirius Radios using the PID to actually save to your tuner and then when that PID showed up on a channel it gave the alert.

crazy25

Oct 19, 2008
Thanks for the insight on this Grüpsaar and DAB!!! It makes perfect sense and I have noticed that on some of the XM fed channels that just the option to memo a song, not the artist has been rolling out (still can't do anything with BPM or Area yet though, unfortuantly).

Hope to see this fixed shortly, I will be keeping an eye on it!!!

XeroFuzion

Nov 25, 2008
Here's my theory I posted in another thread.

I'm pretty sure this has to do with where these stations are coming from now.

Before Sirius updated their channels, but after XM did, there were some of XM's channels that were sirius named, but were NOT playing the same songs as their sirius counterparts before the update. For example, Octane, Lithium, and a few others did not sync up. Both stations had the same name, but different songs.

It was believed that those stations were being run from DC now, and after the Sirius update, the synced up, which pretty much proves XM's DC control center is running those stations. Also, this is proven further since Octane is one of the few stations being programmed by XM people, former Squizz programmers. So, there's no doubt that this is coming from XM's computers, which means incompatibility with Sirius tuners probably.

Alt nation hasn't changed one bit, and must still be from Sirius' computers, and I'm able to do artist seek on that channel. So, whichever channels are from DC, you can't artist seek, whichever are from Sirius, you can.

I posted some info about this under the Portables Sub-Thread. I agree with what you are saying, but its odd that I could LOVE 2 songs in a row on Octane, and then on the 3rd song it not work right. Something seriously is going on there.

I think the worst part about it for me is the way Sirius is handling the situation. They act as if nothing is wrong and when you report it to them, its the first they have heard of any issues going on. Meanwhile, we are left here going .... WTF ?

gaturbev

Jan 27, 2009
Reply from Sirius Customer care

Like many of you, I noticed this issue back in November. I assumed it would be corrected. After a few months, I started asking questions.

Recently I have noticed that there have been some minor improvement, but in general on the channels where content is provided by XM (such as Bluegrass Junction and Willie's Place), it still doesn't work right most of the time. (On Sirius content channels, Sirius Hits 1 and Outlaw Country, it still works fine and always has.)

Anyway, I finally got the following answer/acknowledgment out of Sirius Customer Care:

On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 1:55 PM, Sirius Radio Equipment <Equipment@sirius-radio.com> wrote:
>
> Thank you for contacting SIRIUS in regard to your radio features. We
> are here to assist you!
>
> We are aware of this issue and are working diligently to restore
> your normal service as soon as possible. Please accept our apologies
> for any inconvenience this may have caused you. At this time, we have
> no information available as to when this will be resolved.

I was hoping for a timeline, but at least an acknowledgment is a start.

riskybzns

Oct 11, 2008
land of confusion
maybe someone can help me verify this, but it looks like the memo feature is working on all the channels. also it looks like if you can't memo a artist/song its because they have the artist blocked for whatever reason.

riskybzns

Oct 11, 2008
land of confusion
maybe someone can help me verify this, but it looks like the memo feature is working on all the channels. also it looks like if you can't memo a artist/song its because they have the artist blocked for whatever reason.

IronJabroni

Oct 13, 2008
On my Starmate Replay yesterday I tried to memo the band UFO on Boneyard to no avail but the very next band (can't remember) WAS allowed to be memo'd...weird.

riskybzns

Oct 11, 2008
land of confusion
ok, i'm on boneyard and the memo feature worked. just remember what i said in my prior post, if you can't memo the artist then they have the artist/song block.

for example, i'm able to memo both cheap trick and the name of the song, california man. now motorhead is on and i can't memo the artist or song.