Is It Me Or???

Discussion in 'Decades, Pop, Rock' started by crazeecarroll, Dec 25, 2008.

1. crazeecarroll

crazeecarroll Member

Hey everybody... I am a pretty big listener to the 80's on 8, and have really been digging it with the wider playlist... The past few days have perked my ears up though... I am hearing less "OH WOW" tunes and a much tighter playlist with a lot of the same tunes simular to The Big Eighties... Am I crazee or is the 80's on 8 being retooled already??? CC

2. semipenguin

semipenguin Bum Looker

It's not you. I have notice a lot more R&B being played on 80's on 8, and that's a good thing...:)

3. GreenHornet99

GreenHornet99 Member

I think the guy who was brought over from XM - the morning guy is now gone already. So the 80's is now basically the Sirius line-up plus Casey Kasem (Rick Dees is also gone). I don't mind the ex-mtv guys from Sirius, but I liked having some of the old xm voices as well.

4. semipenguin

semipenguin Bum Looker

Bruce Kelly & Heidi Selexa?...:right:

:)

5. Aaron

Aaron Moderator

You are right... I think they have tightened the playlist somewhat recently. The first few weeks after the merger, I was hearing tons of songs that were not played on The Big 80's, particularly stuff from 1987-89. Now, take a look at a random sample of what played today, it's a very hit based format for sure.

SIRIUS Playlist Search - Sirius Satellite Radio - DogstarRadio.com=

6. semipenguin

semipenguin Bum Looker

I haven't listened really since we started Walk the Dog. Maybe I'll listen again...:right:

You know who would really know is KTMCDO. The guy is always listening to 80's on 8....:)
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

It's been a while since I've tuned in too.

I'll have to check it out again.

8. IdRatherBeSkiing

IdRatherBeSkiing This space for rent

Rick Stacy is still the PD just not a DJ.

Happened when they started incorporating the Big80s jungles into the promos. Its still not quite as bad as the old Big80s for repatition but it is certainly tighter. I think they must have been getting complaints from some Sirius subs about the channel.

9. crazeecarroll

crazeecarroll Member

I am glad to know I was not the only one who noticed the change... I still like it, but am kinda let down since things seem to getting back to normal ie tight playlist and such... I will have to keep an ear out for some of my other faves to see if it is also happening on other channels as well... CC

10. givemealiter

givemealiter Member

ya i noticed the 90s on 9 playlist was cut down a little bit too

11. Bandit 5160

Bandit 5160 Member

WHY ARER THEY SCREWING WITHJ THE PLAYLISTS?! More variety is better, isn't it? Why must people hear the same songs all the time?

12. DAB

DAB Mod Emeritus

They need to leave the playlist alone and not cut them back. I think Slacker is looking better and better for many folks as they continue to screw around with the music. I know at this point I just can't tolerate the crappy playlist on Sirius XM any longer!

13. semipenguin

semipenguin Bum Looker

Slacker might be good for some people, butit's not good for someone like me. I don't have the time to create playlists on my iPod, so how would I have time to do that on Slacker? I have to use mobile web that at best is 1/10th the speed of at home DSL...:shock:

The best thing to do is to build up a 30min buffer on your radio & skip over the song you don't like...:)
    Posted via Mobile Device

14. hexagram

hexagram Medicinal & Recreational.

I've been fooling around with Slacker for quite some time (even bought a 3 month subscription a few months ago to give it a good try, which I just canceled recently). I don't really have much time either to build a "channel", though I have played around with the feature. It's a bit of a waste of time when you have satellite radio and where Slacker sounds nothing more than a Zune or iPod on shuffle. Satellite radio is polar opposite compared to these kinds of services. At least that's the way I see it.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking down Slacker (I still use it occasionally), but I don't see the benefit of paying any money for the service.

It's safe to say that satellite radio will always be my main source of audio entertainment.

15. DAB

DAB Mod Emeritus

You don't have to build playlist? Where did you get that from? If you want to create a custom channel you most certainly can and you can probably do it in the same amount of time that it takes you to read through a few threads on this forum and reply. It isn't time consuming at all unless you are trying to really tweak one to be very specific. Even then you just do it over a period of time. There are over 100 preprogrammed music channels that all you have to do is initially select them and refresh the device.

However even with all that said clearly Slacker isn't going to be for everyone, but when you get sick of the crappy music on sat radio, there is an alternative and many of us have already made that move.

I just don't see the ability to create a customized channel as a waste of time. I see it as the ability to tweak what I want to hear and get it my way. You don't have that option on sat radio. If you have an artist you just hate your only alternative is to change the channel or turn the tuner off. Where as with Slacker I can create channels with much more depth and never have to hear artist or even specific songs by a given artist that I don't like or repeats/stale playlist because I am the programmer, which really takes very little effort. To do this you simply hit a button while it is plays, or log in and use the fine tuning, now how time consuming can that be? If you really have Slacker then you know it doesn't just sound like an iPod or Zune, because with an iPod or Zune you would have to spend a fortune and work your ass off to get the type of playlist that just the preprogrammed channels provide for you. Neither iPod or Zune uses AAC + which we all know sounds a hell of a lot better at a lower bitrate. Believe me I own a iPod Touch which is the cadallac of iPods and it doesn't compare to the Slacker service, it isn't even close. Now if you mean that the both just play music without DJ's, well Slacker is now rolling out DJ's and already has at least one station with a DJ and I suspect in the coming year there will be many more station. This will give it that missing link in my opinion and make it seem more like real radio.

But honestly when you consider the stale playlist on sat radio, the jabbering dj's that talk over the beginning and ending of the music with no respect, the fact that Sirius XM has proven they give two shits about you as a subscriber, that says a lot. Look at the current equipment there hasn't been a firmware update to address just the basic issues and don't get me started on wallpaper and channel icons at least the XM side does keep up with those.

Now I do agree if you like talk, news, sports, weather and those sort of things then naturally Slacker can't compete with sat radio. But in regards to music, I think Sirius is so far out of the game that if they don't wake up, there isn't going to be many subscribers staying around and it will be because of services like Slacker, who in my opinion this holiday, probably did very well, especially with their new announced $3.99 per month sub. Sat Radio can't touch that even if all you want is music. I am keeping my one XM sub for now, but I have to admit I've been checking out all the podcast that are now available and it is possible at some point between the Slacker for music and the iPod Touch for talk and entertainment, I may not even need to bother with sat radio. Now if someone like me who has been a sat radio fan for 8 years feels that way, how do you think folks that have never subscribed feels that already have iPods and maybe looking at Slacker or just got Slacker. Sat radio doesn't stand much of a chance at getting them.

I have tried to stay positive in terms of sat radio and I am still hopeful they will make it. But if they keep screwing with the playlist, by creating smaller playlist that get stale with little or no adds over time there is just no way they are going to keep the subscribers they have. I know very, very few people that have been exposed to Slacker than can tolerate Sirius in its current state. They have got to get their shit together and soon as they are running out of time.

Also the one cool thing about Slacker is you don't have to pay for it to enjoy it. The commericals are so limited that I am sure a lot of folks don't feel it is necessary to subscribe. But at $3.99 a month with unlimited song skips, unlimited song request, no commercials and the option to never hear a DJ for less than $50 a year or 13 cents a day. That is a bargain!

Still I do understand for many sat radio is a better alternative and that is good, it needs to be in order for them to make it! I think sometimes the only reason I keep my sub is because I don't want to quit supporting them to some degree because I do want them to make it.

hexagram likes this.
  16. semipenguin

semipenguin Bum Looker

Thanks for the info, DAB...:)

17. DAB

DAB Mod Emeritus

No problem, just wanted you to make sure you had all the info to make a good judgement about it. I understand you being in the truck all the time and maybe not having access to wifi, but I do know a truck driver that has one and he just refreshes his at truck stops that have wifi while he is gasing up. LOL

This is truly a device for Slackers because you only have to put as much effort as you want to into it! :p

18. hexagram

hexagram Medicinal & Recreational.

Yeah, we definitely see things differently. I'll spare you the long discussion. :p

19. oncesir

oncesir Member

Slacker is just like the name implies. Sign up and listen. Create your own station and really take advantage of a FREE service. Ill be honest, ever since the combo of channels, XM was mostly gutted for poorly executed tight playlist rotation Sirius channels. Even channels that are still prog'd by XM PD's are tighter. If it wasnt for this I would have never thought of even getting a slacker g2. Now its on my list of must haves. I totally agree with DAB.

20. Wolf

Wolf Manspreading on DRC

Thanks for the great info DAB, I never really looked much into Slacker. But what I read is sounds like a great unit my only problem is, I'm not near a wifi signal to pick any internet stuff. So I that why I'm stuck with Sirius in the car and home and I listen to my iPod at work.