IRL/NHRA might look more appealing

Discussion in 'NASCAR' started by semipenguin, Nov 8, 2008.

1. semipenguin

semipenguin Bum Looker

With the economy the way it is now, I wonder how many sponsors might think the IRL or the NHRA is more appealing to sponsor a car than NASCAR?...:shock:

There are less cars in each race and there are less races. I'm sure we may see some old NASCAR sponsors in the IRL/NHRA next year.

I heard that Geico will be co-sponsoring a car in the NHRA next year. Thanks to NASCAR for forcing them out of the Nationwide Series, they have to find another place to go...:(

2. mghtx

mghtx 2000 Man

I'm actually going to give the IRL some of my time next year. The IRL ought to run their races when nascar's at california, pocono, or the many 1.5 mile tracks.

But I am gonna watch some next year and if I find that more exciting then that's where I'll go.

I'll still have the truck series for my nascar fix. ;)

3. semipenguin

semipenguin Bum Looker

It's amazing how the truck series doesn't have to manufacture a points race every year like the cup series does. But then again, they run 11 races less and about half the distance of each race...:shock:

4. mghtx

mghtx 2000 Man

If it were up to me I'd put the truck series on sunday afternoons. ;)

5. riskybzns

riskybzns Well-Known Member

who's driving for geico next year in the nhra, i haven't heard of that one.

6. riskybzns

riskybzns Well-Known Member

nevermind, they have partnered with nhra pro bike driver karen stoffer. they have been with her since last year.

7. Snoozer

Snoozer Well-Known Member

Yup, the truck series has been the most exciting for a couple years now.
    Nationwide wasn't to bad as well when you didn't have full time cup guys running for the championship. The last good points battle there was 4 yrs ago when Truex beat out Boyer the year before they headed to cup full time.

8. Big Vic

Big Vic New Member

There is supposed to be an announcement from the Lucas Oil top fuel team next week announcing a partnership between them and GEICO.

9. Easy Money

Easy Money Active Member

BINGO! Less races AND shorter races, thats the way to go.:bigclap:

10. Formula one is pretty good (I miss Schumey!!!! Mike not "I think I can race" Ralf)

11. Dave Moody

Dave Moody Member

Actually, GEICO is also going to be in the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series, as well, sponsoring Max Papis for 18 races next season. Like UPS, Valvoline and a number of other sponsors, GEICO is involved in more than one motorsports venue.

12. In f1 it seems there is more constructor support then they rely on the sponsors. Why can't if the economy is so bad for us to try it for a couple of races to allow other cars to have some sponsorship. In f1, Scuderia Ferrari has two drivers they have the exact same constructor/sponsor just different numbers. Can this type of thing be done here?

13. semipenguin

semipenguin Bum Looker

That is great news. Thanks, Moody. As a customer of GEICO, that make me happy that they are staying in NASCAR and doing so in the top series...:)

14. semipenguin

semipenguin Bum Looker

Moody is going to have the president of Furniture Row Racing on today. If FRR is cutting back next year and only running a part time schedule, why don't they just shut down the shop and be a part time sponsor on a Petty car?...:scratch:

15. Easy Money

Easy Money Active Member

Ive tried, but I just cant get into open wheel. Even with Danica, its just boring. The NHRA is pretty cool though, what a rush!

16. Dave Moody

Dave Moody Member

Furniture Row has made a HUGE investment in their own NASCAR team. Like Red Bull, they are both owner and sponsor. Their business is largely dependent on housing starts and retail sales, and both of those indicators are forecasting poorly for at lest the next 6-12 months. Based on that Furniture Row is doing what every smart corporation does under the circumstances; tightening their belts and making sure they are not overextended financially.

17. Easy Money

Easy Money Active Member

I really respect Joe and his talent, but something fresh might help that team. Of course, it would destroy his mom. The morning she went off on TMD was very emotional to listen too. And I agreed with her for the most part.

18. acastleinthesky

acastleinthesky New Member

Geico is sponsoring a cup car for some races next year with Max Papis, so that throws off your theory

19. Easy Money

Easy Money Active Member

His theory still stands true, just insert a different name.

semipenguin likes this.
  20. mghtx

mghtx 2000 Man

Yes. That tore me up.