Ipod vs Zune

Discussion in 'Other MP3 Players' started by hank-the-dwarf, Oct 13, 2008.

1. hank-the-dwarf

hank-the-dwarf Well-Known Member

i checked them out on cnet-looks like a good player

2. BobMurdoch

BobMurdoch New Member

I've got a Zune (30 GB Halo 3 Edition).

Only major complaint is that you can only have 1 PC to one player. I tried hooking up a second PC and it zapped all the Halo 3 content that was on it (soundtracks, photos, videos, etc.) and there is no option to reboot it to the default state (with the content) that came with it....

However, I like the software design better, and the huge display is great for watching video podcasts.

Like all MS devices, it occasionally glitches, but if you hold down the back button and the down button on the directional controller it reboots it and all is well again...

I'm 42 and have a huge collection of LPs and CDs which I ported over. I categorically refuse to buy ANY protected content (music wise) as I learned my lesson when I bought a handful of albums that worked on Windows Media Player but NOT on the Zune PC player, so never again... Apple is now starting this route but they are charging too much for unprotected music. I either buy CDs and transfer them, or download individual tracks off of Amazon (I really like the Pepsi promotion they have now... my Diet pepsi addiction has a nice dividend now.... 5 bottle caps equal one $1 track... and it is unprotected...

As a bonus, the Zune folks download a new software client every 6 months that is backwards compatible with the original devices. I can now play Texas Hold Em and Hexic (a tetris esque variant) on it as well.... I've got an Altec Lansing docking port speaker that I got on the cheap from Woot.com which puts on loud clear sound which is perfect for backyard parties.

I'm also an XBox 360 enthusiast so it is easy to load my Zune music into that as well.....

I may wind up upgrading to a larger Zune one of these days, but only if my current one dies, or I find a huge discount on Woot or another site when they move to a newer generation..

3. mynameisjamie

mynameisjamie Member

I can't even decide what kind of mp3 player to get.
    I really really want an iPhone but I don't need that. Does anyone know what the major differences are between an iPod and Zune? Certainly other than Microsoft and Apple...
    :churn:

4. Super Dave

Super Dave Member

5. hank-the-dwarf

hank-the-dwarf Well-Known Member

Never had an ipod,but i think i made a good choice-this thing is a tank!

6. TOM C.

TOM C. Member

The indestructible 30 gig Zune here, I always say an iPOD user says "yeah, this is my 3 or 4th gen unit" The Zune can be updated.

7. Grüpsaar

Grüpsaar DRC Forum Bum

I also have an original 30 gig brown zune. Got it for 100 bucks last day after thanksgiving sale. Almost a year old and still kicking. I owned an ipod nano prior to the zune, but the screen got cracked after an unfortunate placement of it in the middle of the bedroom floor. I like iPods too, but the zune is treating me just fine, and the frequent updates and features added even to older zunes is nice.

I'll be upgrading to a larger capacity player soon, but it will most likely be a zune.

8. DAB

DAB Mod Emeritus

Oh come on, you've got to get a iPod dude... You don't want that Zune! :whistle: hehe

9. Manco

Manco Active Member

I need a replacement for my Creative Zen Micro and I'm leaning towards a zune over the iPod. I like WMA as a compressed format, you can get more music for the same amount of storage and quality over MP3 or AAC. I think the 16GB is the size I need and the price is not too bad.

10. TOM C.

TOM C. Member

The new 120 is cool

11. Manco

Manco Active Member

That's more storage than my laptop! :eek:

12. AZJoe

AZJoe Member

Ditto here, Ipod/Apple are the cream of the crop. Why change? Others may be good too, but I'll stick with my Apple products. :)

13. GAMER

GAMER Member

I have an i pod Touch, and with all the apps you can download, this thing rocks!:buttrock::ter:

14. DAB

DAB Mod Emeritus

That is what I am screaming! It just hard to beat the iPod Touch these days! Yeah they are pricey, but you get what you pay for.

Apple doesn't own this market because they sell junk.

15. Manco

Manco Active Member

If Apple would open up the format to WMA, it would be first on my list of choices. But I'll have to look elsewhere. I have seen them in action, and think they are great, but what I need is really just a solid unit that meets my needs with 16GB of storage. I'm still running a 4 year old unit and am ready for an upgrade once I have some spare cash. I agree Apple makes good products.

16. DAB

DAB Mod Emeritus

WMA's can be converted in fact iTunes can do that for you. I've never been one that has been impressed with the WMA codec. I find ACC to have a fuller more natural sound even at lower bitrates. Generally speaking to get the same SQ, you have to encode a WMA at a much higher bitrate. To go even further if you take a 256kb mp3 and compare it to a 128kp wma which Microsoft claims should sound about the same, well it doesn't. The MP3 wounds way better. Anyway that is my take on WMA. I had all my library as WMA's, but I convered every last one of them.

17. Blitz71

Blitz71 Member

My whole library is MP3 at 128.

18. Manco

Manco Active Member

I don't want to convert my library, that is the point. AAC May be just as good or even better but I have ripped every one of my CD's in WMA format and it's quite time consuming. I find 128kb WMA to be as good as I need. For MP3's I Prefer 196 or 256kb to get adequate quality and I have some that I have purchased from Amazon in the 256kb format.

So I just want a player that is compatible with my existing library.

19. DAB

DAB Mod Emeritus

Then you've locked yourself out of any kind of iPod, because Apple is never going to go WMA because that is a Microsoft thing. When Microsoft came out with the Zune and totally turned their back on their own standards in regards to Play for Sure, I then turned my back on them in terms of WMA's. Apple could add WMA if they wanted to license it, but they won't. The thing about Apple is that they have stuck with ACC and have only made it better over time. Plus now days most players that can handle WMA's MP3's generally play ACC format, including the Zune.

20. Manco

Manco Active Member

Yep, but there's no reason not to support WMA and virtually all 3rd party players support it. I think it is a free license. The only reason that I can see they don't want to support it is so they can lock you into their iTunes service.

Yeah I can understand that.

Yes, notice how other makers are more open than Apple? While Apple does make good products, they do seem to have the "lock you in" disease.