iPhone on VZW

MM

Administrator
Oct 9, 2008
New England
After I read the article it said they "might" announce it.

I guess Apple won't want to take away the thunder from the new tablet.

June is right around the corner.

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN
The exclusive contract is up in either January or June this year, depending on who you believe.

Well I'm holding off getting a new phone because I really want an iPhone. Sprint has a 4G network now. I would rather be with Sprint. I wouldn't mind having a Blackberry, but iPhone is what I want :)

limegrass69

Confused
Oct 12, 2008
New York
I would agree that June sounds more realistic. Seems like they are gearing up for the new iTablet (or whatever it's called). A Verizon iPhone would need a CDMA radio, which to my knowledge, does not exist.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Colorado
They're saying both AT&T and Verizon execs will be at the event. There may be gunplay. :eek:

jef

Power Pig, Hello!
Oct 12, 2008
Yes, but who knows what Apple is working on now. :)

Exactly - and most people didn't think Apple was making OS X run on Intel processors, either. Never say never when it comes to Apple and what they are up to at any given time.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Ahh the speculation, you just gotta love it!

I personally hope that Verizon does get the iPhone. Yes I have selfish reasons for it, because if many folks jump ship from AT&T after all the work AT&T has done, once the demand is lowered and put on Verizon, AT&T is going to have a jam up network! Let Verizon talk shit after they get hit with the iPhone.

limegrass69

Confused
Oct 12, 2008
New York
I personally hope that Verizon does get the iPhone. Yes I have selfish reasons for it, because if many folks jump ship from AT&T after all the work AT&T has done, once the demand is lowered and put on Verizon, AT&T is going to have a jam up network! Let Verizon talk shit after they get hit with the iPhone.

Let's hope that Verizon actually learns from AT&T's multiple colossal missteps and screw ups. :bigahh:

Jleimer

Oct 30, 2008
Sparks,NV
I really hope this is true because I would love to have one of these things and with verizon they seem to have a better network then at&t in my eyes. BTW if you ask where I have been I have been busy so thats why I havent been posting here in a while.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Let's hope that Verizon actually learns from AT&T's multiple colossal missteps and screw ups. :bigahh:
Personally I don't think Verizon would have handled it any better than AT&T if they had gotten the iPhone first. No one could have predicted the way these things sold and how much they taxed AT&T's network. I don't think it was a matter of missteps, I think it was a matter of no one dreamed these things would sell at the level they did and that those that bought them would use them to the degree that they did and do. Verizon has never seen anything like it, you can best your ass on that.

I really hope this is true because I would love to have one of these things and with verizon they seem to have a better network then at&t in my eyes. BTW if you ask where I have been I have been busy so thats why I havent been posting here in a while.

Seems to have a better network is the key word here, because they don't have everywhere that is for sure.

ctkatz

Oct 11, 2008
if an iphone 4g were announced, i would hope that it would be compatible with t-mo's 3g frequency otherwise i'm not interested.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana

if an iphone 4g were announced, i would hope that it would be compatible with t-mo's 3g frequency otherwise i'm not interested.

Honestly it seems they are going after Verizon at this point. I doesn't see them giving much love to T-Mobile!

But you know the rumors go back and fourth. Last month it was going to T-Mobile this month it is going to Verizon. Fact is Apple should give it to all carriers and be done with it. This exclusive shit is crazy!

I am interesting in a 4g on AT&T because in my area there is NO T-Mobile and Verizon has crappy reception here with huge gaps in coverage. AT&T can't be touched for rural and metro coverage here, so I have no issues with them. It is all about where one is geographically and how much money has been spent to build out the network. AT&T in La has spent a ton of money and yet next door in Miss Verizon has spent a ton of money and didn't do crap here, but take over Alltel's crappy network.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Colorado
Honestly it seems they are going after Verizon at this point. I doesn't see them giving much love to T-Mobile!

But you know the rumors go back and fourth. Last month it was going to T-Mobile this month it is going to Verizon. Fact is Apple should give it to all carriers and be done with it. This exclusive shit is crazy!

I am interesting in a 4g on AT&T because in my area there is NO T-Mobile and Verizon has crappy reception here with huge gaps in coverage. AT&T can't be touched for rural and metro coverage here, so I have no issues with them. It is all about where one is geographically and how much money has been spent to build out the network. AT&T in La has spent a ton of money and yet next door in Miss Verizon has spent a ton of money and didn't do crap here, but take over Alltel's crappy network.

Since the upgrade, AT&T is the better choice of all of them. My particular neighborhood has been notorious for bad cell coverage from all companies. Verizon was the worst of all of them. Even the verizon salesperson had to activate the phone OUTSIDE THE STORE when I bought the things. :eek: Should have been my first clue. AT&T was bad until they did a colossal upgrade to the network pretty much from Border to Border along the I-25 corridor and even into some parts of the boonies. From that point I could get 5 bars of 3G service in my basement, where I was lucky to get any bars of EDGE before. :ter:

So even if there is a Verizon iPhone, I'll be sticking with AT&T.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
From that point I could get 5 bars of 3G service in my basement, where I was lucky to get any bars of EDGE before. :ter:

So even if there is a Verizon iPhone, I'll be sticking with AT&T.

That is good coverage, I get full signal at home too with AT&T on 3G.

I won't have a problem with those that jump ship though to Verizon because that will just make it better for those of us that stay with AT&T.

limegrass69

Confused
Oct 12, 2008
New York
It all depends on where you are. You can't believe all that crap they tell you on TV about which network is the best. All that really matters is if it works where you need it. There are a few smaller carriers like MetroPCS that have a limited footprint, but very well priced plans. If that works where you live/work/travel...by all means go for it!!

But, yeah, AT&T must have been caught off guard. I don't think the uptake on the iPhone was anticipated to be what it was. I also don't think anyone expected the devices to be such data pigs. The mistake is that AT&T sat on their asses and did not move to resolve the issues quickly enough. There is still widespread complaints about dropped calls. Who knows what an influx of iPhone users would do to Verizon? Let them stay at AT&T for all I care!!