iOS 5.1

bigdaddyII

Oct 13, 2008
Southern Louisiana
I was just now able to do it OTA at the house. 15 minutes and all was well, updated and on my way. Battery life is what i am hoping to achieve with this update.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Colorado
So far I been able to achieve about 12 to 14 hours, which is better than my laptop.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk.

Wolf

Rainbow Sherbet WILL ALWAYS BE ICE CREAM!
Oct 11, 2008
Koop's Basement
I guess the new update messed with my DST. I woke up and notice my iPhone was an hour ahead with rest of my clocks. I had to set my iPhone clock to Phoenix and now I'm back on the right time zone.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

AZDude

Oct 18, 2008
Mesa, AZ
I guess the new update messed with my DST. I woke up and notice my iPhone was an hour ahead with rest of my clocks. I had to set my iPhone clock to Phoenix and now I'm back on the right time zone.

Didn't happen with me! :p

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
I've not charged my phone since Thursday Night, granted my weekends are very low key, so this is why, but WOW! I never could do that prior to iOS5.1. Again very pleased with the battery life update. Tonight I will do a full charge and be ready for Monday morning. Still sitting there with 18%. hehehe

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Will the jury be sequestered all weekend?

The jury is on vacation in Atlantic Beach, NC.

Battery life is better. Idle time (screen off or just listening to music is great. Improvement in other areas. Have not had 3G so 3G usage is still unknown.

I do have an issue with charging. It won't go to 100% in one shot and seems to be charging slower. It will charge for a while then stop. If I unplug it and plug it in again, it will continue. Most times the 2nd time is all that is required. A couple of times it has taken 3 times.

With improved usage, its not a huge deal but it is annoying.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON

Do DST like the rest of us.

Wolf

Rainbow Sherbet WILL ALWAYS BE ICE CREAM!
Oct 11, 2008
Koop's Basement
I notice the battery life is a bit better, in some areas, specially games. But for listening to music it still drains fast.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
The jury is on vacation in Atlantic Beach, NC.

Battery life is better. Idle time (screen off or just listening to music is great. Improvement in other areas. Have not had 3G so 3G usage is still unknown.

I do have an issue with charging. It won't go to 100% in one shot and seems to be charging slower. It will charge for a while then stop. If I unplug it and plug it in again, it will continue. Most times the 2nd time is all that is required. A couple of times it has taken 3 times.

With improved usage, its not a huge deal but it is annoying.

When is the last time that you did a full cycle of your battery. Running it down to 10% or less and then fully charging?

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
When is the last time that you did a full cycle of your battery. Running it down to 10% or less and then fully charging?

I have run it down to about 20% frequently with iOS5.0 and always did a full charge. I didn't trust it to go lower than 15% due to usage issues.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
I have run it down to about 20% frequently with iOS5.0 and always did a full charge. I didn't trust it to go lower than 15% due to usage issues.

I've not experienced the charging issue, though I have seen others saying they have. However, the solution I've seen is by running the battery down until the phone shuts off, then a full charge.

limegrass69

Confused
Oct 12, 2008
New York
My iPhone 4S and iPad2 upgraded without a hitch.
The wife's iPad 2 upgraded OK. The wife's iPhone 4S hung during the upgrade and got wonky. Hooked it up to her laptop and did it via iTunes and it was fine.

Noticed better battery life since the upgrade. I used a GPS tracking app (for skiing) for a few days and was able to make it through a day without the phone dying. Battery was at about 30% after the last run.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
I've not experienced the charging issue, though I have seen others saying they have. However, the solution I've seen is by running the battery down until the phone shuts off, then a full charge.

I don't know how the apple battery calibration works, but it can't hurt an android to do that every couple of weeks. I would assume its about the same. I let my X run dead every other week or so. It usually takes it a couple of days to get to that point.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Another weird thing with this update. When I stop the camera the location indicator stays on for several seconds. Doesn't seem to drain battery but is different.

MM

Administrator
Oct 9, 2008
New England
Another weird thing with this update. When I stop the camera the location indicator stays on for several seconds. Doesn't seem to drain battery but is different.

I guess this is "normal" for now. It happens to me as well. I have read that it happens to others as well.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Update on the charging issue. I think its not quite as I thought. Last night I put it on the charger and noticed it did make 100%. This morning with charger still plugged in it was 66%. This means it stopped charging and let it drain. Not good for my way of charging. Good part is battery life is good at least with no 3G.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Update on the charging issue. I think its not quite as I thought. Last night I put it on the charger and noticed it did make 100%. This morning with charger still plugged in it was 66%. This means it stopped charging and let it drain. Not good for my way of charging. Good part is battery life is good at least with no 3G.

I am not seeing this behavior at all with my phone. Do you have a spare cable to try? If not you may need to contact Apple cause it's likely the cable or the charging mechanism on the phone itself.

One other option that I would try is to do a restore and I know you will whine, fall on the floor stomping and kicking, but it worth a shot in my book. Get direction from support.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Colorado
I'm getting some weird behavior with app downloads. It acts like it's downloading all the apps at once.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk.