Installing iPod into 2008 MINI Cooper

Discussion in 'SiriusXM Install Bay' started by kryptonite, Aug 7, 2012.

1. kryptonite

kryptonite Well-Known Member

Yeah, I know this is technically the "SiriusXM Install Bay", but it's really all the same equipment. (Go easy on me, please!)

Anyway, I looked it up, and apparently, the preferred/recommended method is the MINI Cooper USB or Aux-In adapter kit, which goes back behind the steering column. Would the FM-MOD02 from Scosche be at all an option, or does MINI really require their kit?

What I'm talking about:

http://www.minicarparts.net/Instructions/M3367_Instructions.cfm

http://www.northamericotoring.com/forums/navigation-and-audio/11518-aux-input-installed-pics.html

http://www.mini2.com/forum/mini-coo...iary-usb-input-standard-08-mini-cooper-d.html

2. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

Close enough.

3. kryptonite

In which case, a pro install would probably still be needed.

(I'd be tempted to try out a FM converter-adapter thingy, but I know those have become more trouble over the past 6-8 years.)

4. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

Call TSS. They may be able to find an adapter or something that's compatible.

5. blyons200

blyons200 These pretzels are making me thirsty.

I can't believe all newer cars don't come with at least and aux port. My 07 F-150 did, but since I upgraded the HU I now have Aux, USB iPod control, USB flash drive support, and Bluetooth connection for iPhone/Android and Pandora app control, and option to add Siruis too.:buttrock:

6. kryptonite

Exactly. You'd think an 08 car would come with a standard AUX-IN.

What'd I hear?? One car (forget which one) doesn't even come with a CD player anymore, but hey..if you want a 40 gig built-in HD, you're set. Maybe it's two different cars.

7. blyons200

I don't use my CD player much, but since I have premium sound it's nice to listen to some lossless tunes sometimes (I am an audiophile)My USP ports in the truck are powered. I wonder if I could run a portable hard drive on it. Probably, but could it see all of it if I had 500 gigs worth of music on it? It sees the 60 gigs worth on my iPod. Hmm

8. kryptonite

If you know what you're doing, can't you somehow increase the capacity of an iPod, or am I dreaming that?

9. blyons200

Maybe, depends on what you are upgrading to. iPods and iPod touch use special size hard drives. I'm not sure what storage capacities are available beyond 160 for a classic and 64 for a touch.

10. kryptonite

Ah.

Good news on the original question though... we found the USB outlet and the AUX IN. :) (a cup was blocking them. :eek:)