In-Home recording studio. Advice???

Discussion in 'The Studio Lounge' started by MAJ Badmotherfarker, Dec 21, 2008.

1. MAJ Badmotherfarker

MAJ Badmotherfarker is drinking a beer.

Any of you musician-types have some suggestions for setting up an in-home recording studio? My 19 yr old brother is something of a music phenom (he plays mostly guitar/drums but is also a jazz sax player) and I'm thinking of building him an in home studio. Can this be done for under $1000?

2. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

For the Home Depot part of it you should be able to do it for less than a K.

What kind of space are you thinking of converting, and how professional are you trying to make it?

Is it just for him and his pals to play in? Does he record? Or do you just want the rest of the house to be quieter when he's jamming?

3. MAJ Badmotherfarker

MAJ Badmotherfarker is drinking a beer.

I'd say mostly just him for now. Let him have somewhere to get myspace/facebook shit up. For now, I'm looking to set something up in his room so that he can start playing around with editing.

4. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

That makes it a little more tricky.
    If you were setting up part of your basement, a back room, or your garage, that would make it easier, but more expensive.

Most of what you can do for something like a bedroom is going to be to try to control outside noise from getting in, and adding sound absorbing material to help keep the sound from bouncing around too much.

I had a book (once upon a time) that showed how you can make living spaces into decent quality recording spaces. I'll see if I can find it.

They used things like couch cushions and mattresses to convert a living room into a temporary studio. (Sounds hinky, but the author was a sound engineer and a musician.)

My bet is that you could buy some 1/2" plywood panels and 4" foam from an upholstery shop and wrap them with blankets. Make them to fit the door and windows, and a couple to put in front of the middle of large plaster walls, and you'll probably improve recording quality quite a lot.

Then he can store them someplace else when he's not playing.

You should be able to get all of the stuff for a couple 2 or 3 hundred bucks, and he can take it with him anywhere.

5. memebag

memebag Top Brass, ADVP

What is your goal? Recording sounds (which requires all that expensive noise control and acoustics and such) or making music (which can all be done in a computer)?