I'm technologically challenged!

Aaron

Oct 10, 2008
South Louisiana
I've come to the conclusion that I may be the most technologically impaired person on this forum. :right:

Granted I do have high-speed internet + wifi. Plus I've been a subscriber to Sirius for over 5 years.

But compared to you guys... I don't have an iPod, I-anything, no Blu-Ray, no TiVo type stuff, no DVR, I still have a working VCR which I still sometimes use, I have no idea what Ubuntu is, I have no Nintendo Wii or anything more recent than the old NES, still subscribe to basic cable, my newest TV set is a decade old, and my cell phone is an older model LG that takes forever to type text messages on! :shock:

Anyone care to admit that they're in the same category as me, technology-wise? Stand up and be counted!

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
I have an iPhone, a couple of iPods and a laptop. That's really all I need. I don't go overboard and buy Blu-Ray movies I only watch once. And I don't watch a lot of TV. So I'm not far behind.

goreds2

Oct 14, 2008
OH H.....EYE OH
I've come to the conclusion that I may be the most technologically impaired person on this forum. :right:

Granted I do have high-speed internet + wifi. Plus I've been a subscriber to Sirius for over 5 years.

But compared to you guys... I don't have an iPod, I-anything, no Blu-Ray, no TiVo type stuff, no DVR, I still have a working VCR which I still sometimes use, I have no idea what Ubuntu is, I have no Nintendo Wii or anything more recent than the old NES, still subscribe to basic cable, my newest TV set is a decade old, and my cell phone is an older model LG that takes forever to type text messages on! :shock:

Anyone care to admit that they're in the same category as me, technology-wise? Stand up and be counted!

Everything is exactly the same for me only I have Tivo and DVR.
(I have XM not SIRIUS :twisted: )

Vargas

Molon Labe!
Oct 16, 2008
Western, PA
I have a ton of tech stuff.

Laptop, WIFI, Sirius SL2, Samsung P3 mp3 player (way better than IPOD), two flatscreen tv's, Nintendo Wii and a Blu-Ray player.

My most UNUSED device is by far the blu-ray. I have an older stereo receiver so a lot of the DTS only blu-ray's my receiver won't decode so a lot of the time I still rent DVD. A year ago I was hot on Blu-Ray, now I really don't care and would just tell people to wait. I jumped the gun on that one.

I most want a new receiver and I would love to have a DVR but we already pay too much for cable and ANOTHER 12.00 per month is just too much to add the DVR.

As into tech as I am, I will admit that I NEVER get excited about new CELL PHONES. I have a blackberry through work that I love but I couldn't care less about the Droid, IPHONE or anything else.

Calypso

Queen Calypso
Apr 29, 2009
carsandcombat.com
I don't have an mp3 player or ipod or any fancy cell phone but I do have a cellphone, 3 laptops, 2 desktop pc's, a 54' HDTV, 2 PVR's, Sirius Radio for the car, would love one for the house, PS3.

Can't really think of anything else right at the moment so I think that is it really.

jef

Power Pig, Hello!
Oct 12, 2008
Hey, as long as the tech you do have suits your needs, that's all that really matters. I think that sometimes people feel too much pressure to use things that they have no real need for or interest in, resulting in frustration for them and the nerds like me they call for help ;)

I love most gadgets with the exception being phones. They don't really excite me. But I did do a recent count and figured out that we have 6 iPods in the house. For 2 of us. :)

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
I've got lots of tech. No iPhone, no Blu-ray, but just about everything else. Wired and wifi network all over my house, connecting two netbooks, two desktops, a home theater PC, a Wii, two Xbox 360s and 2GB of network storage. There's another 2GB of local storage on the various PCs around the house. Two DVRs, two big TVs, 5.1 sound in the TV room, a nice big AV receiver with Dolby Digital and DTS decoding, two Harmony 880s, a DVD recorder, a Laserdisc player. My car has an integrated Sirius receiver that I added, a subwoofer that I added, a 160GB iPod and a Garmin GPS.

The odd thing I've noticed lately is that we've stopped using our desktops. Back in the 1980s, big central timeshare computers were replaced with small, cheap desktop PCs. Now the same thing is happening in my house, with my desktop PC being replaced by even smaller and cheaper devices like netbooks, HTPCs, phones and MP3 players.

MadisonRadio1

MadisonRadio
Oct 17, 2008
Madison, Wisconsin
You're talking about a guy who just gave up using Web tv for internet a year and a half ago.
I use entry level radios in the house: Stratus 5 and just bought an Onyx in December which I really like. I still listen to CD's in the car. I still use a G2 for Slacker. I use an "on the go" cell phone. I haven't played a video game in 3 years.

With the prices going down, I finally bought a couple of LCD's in December for the house: a 37'' for the living room and a 26'' in my room. Just Sunday, I bought my first Blu Ray player ($149 special) which is supposed to stream Netflix, Pandora and You Tube. But found out I need another $80 piece to wifi. I still haven't opened the box yet. I also read a lot of negative reviews about firmware lock ups and I'm still debating whether I want to keep it. Otherwise, I'll go back to my standard dvd player. :bam:

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
I have a computer, various satrad equipment, and a cell phone (with no data --- its just a phone). I also have a Palm Zire 71 Pilot. Its my appoinment and phone book.

hyson

Forum Jerk
Oct 19, 2008

Sorry. I have to admit I'm electronics guy at heat. However, you did still manage to swing being an admin for a digital radio site.

bigdaddyII

Oct 13, 2008
Southern Louisiana
Im not far behind Aaron. I have a DVD player that barely gets used and a VCR that gets used for my daughter to "store" toys and whatnots in. I am not a big tv watcher so I have basic cable that is paid through my rent, and even if I did pay for it, I would not go over basic. I do have a laptop and Sirius in both vehicles and we do have Blackberrys.

Vargas

Molon Labe!
Oct 16, 2008
Western, PA
I've got lots of tech. No iPhone, no Blu-ray, but just about everything else. Wired and wifi network all over my house, connecting two netbooks, two desktops, a home theater PC, a Wii, two Xbox 360s and 2GB of network storage. There's another 2GB of local storage on the various PCs around the house. Two DVRs, two big TVs, 5.1 sound in the TV room, a nice big AV receiver with Dolby Digital and DTS decoding, two Harmony 880s, a DVD recorder, a Laserdisc player. My car has an integrated Sirius receiver that I added, a subwoofer that I added, a 160GB iPod and a Garmin GPS.

The odd thing I've noticed lately is that we've stopped using our desktops. Back in the 1980s, big central timeshare computers were replaced with small, cheap desktop PCs. Now the same thing is happening in my house, with my desktop PC being replaced by even smaller and cheaper devices like netbooks, HTPCs, phones and MP3 players.

LASERDISC?? Holy Hell.

Can you even buy Laserdiscs any more. God, what a failed medium that was. Here is a movie that comes on a CD but oh yeah, the CD is the size of an old RECORD and you have to take the dsic out halfway throught the movie and flip it over. YOWZA.

What receiver do you use since I am looking to upgrade. I don't need anything crazy, just a newer one with 5.1, DTS and Dolby Digital.

v1ru5

Oct 24, 2008
Harrisburg PA.
Same here, I don't have an I-Anything because Apple inc. scares the hell out me. Have Blue Ray only because I have a PS3 but I never use the Blue Ray.
Here is a picture of my Stereo, a Pioneer SX-680.

Attachments

• sx-680.jpg
    sx-680.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 4

jef

Power Pig, Hello!
Oct 12, 2008
Same here, I don't have an I-Anything because Apple inc. scares the hell out me. Have Blue Ray only because I have a PS3 but I never use the Blue Ray.
Here is a picture of my Stereo, a Pioneer SX-680.

You buy Sony but are afraid of Apple??? :confused:

Argji

Oct 14, 2008
Oklahoma City, OK
No smart phone here. As a matter of fact, I think it's a lil retarded.... :rofl:

I don't have a smartphone either, just a crappy little prepaid phone. I won't shell out $30 a month for a data plan. Sorry!

We actually don't have HD TV's either. Just a 6 yr old 32 inch tube in the family room and a 15 yr old 27 inch tube in the bedroom. I can't bring myself to ditch two perfectly working TV's just for the experience of something "new and better". It drives my 72 yr old dad insane whenever he comes over since he is somehow amazingly into all that and has 4 flatscreen HD TV's around his house.

We do live and die by the satellite tv and DVR, though....

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
LASERDISC?? Holy Hell.

Can you even buy Laserdiscs any more. God, what a failed medium that was. Here is a movie that comes on a CD but oh yeah, the CD is the size of an old RECORD and you have to take the dsic out halfway throught the movie and flip it over. YOWZA.

It's hard to call Laserdisc a "failed medium". Laserdiscs were produced for 22 years in the US. DVDs will have to stay in production another 9 years to match that. I predict both DVD and Blu-ray will die faster than Laserdisc did.

Of course, Laserdisc never achieved the same market penetration, but it was a high end format here in the US. The difference between Laserdisc and either tape format was like night and day, especially on a big screen.

What receiver do you use since I am looking to upgrade. I don't need anything crazy, just a newer one with 5.1, DTS and Dolby Digital.

My last two receivers have been Onkyos and I love them. The current one is a TX-SR604, about 3 years old. Amazon has its replacement (TX-SR607) for $380.