IdRatherBeSkiing's Music Discovery Thread

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
I don't hear drums first usually. For Rush it is always the guitar which draws me in. But the same is true for most songs. I didn't appreciate the drums in "In The Air Tonight" until a couple years ago. And that is from a guy who is also famous for his drumming, My mind does not process the drums until all else is processed I guess.
Funny. When Rush played live, Niel had the sound in his headphone monitors set to pretty much be exclusively drums. He barely listened to Geddy and Alex.
It's an odd way to perform to me, but how can you argue with genius?

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Funny. When Rush played live, Niel had the sound in his headphone monitors set to pretty much be exclusively drums. He barely listened to Geddy and Alex.
It's an odd way to perform to me, but how can you argue with genius?
I guess that means he was the lead and the others would follow him regardless. If he was following their lead at all, he would need to hear what they were doing.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
Improvisation wasn’t their thing, but to me, a lot of the fun is the interaction with the rest of the band. Even when you stink, it‘s still cool that you can make a chunk of wood and some wire make music, and it’s really amazing when 4 people can do it together.

scotchandcigar

All I wanted was some steak
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
I guess that means he was the lead and the others would follow him regardless. If he was following their lead at all, he would need to hear what they were doing.
I believe Neil created all their music - both lyrics and musical compositions, so he would pretty much know what was going on.

That being said, while I'm not a veteran live music performer, I know that when bands are playing live, they generally can't hear anything from the venue speakers, which are setup for the audience. That's why they have the monitor speakers facing them from the floor, as in this Yes concert pic from the good people of Wikipedia
1673533778183.png

The performers need to hear themselves very well (to stay in tune and in rhythm), and they only need to hear a little bit of the other players, so as not to overwhelm their own monitors.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
Most bands want to hear a decent mix of the rest of the band so that they can stay synchronized with each other.
A lot of vocalists will want to have the vocals louder to help with harmonizing, but to hear pretty much drums only would be weird.
The guy was a machine.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
In the spirit of sachilds top 100 of 2022, I created my 2022 playlist in iTunes which choses all ranked (*** **** or *****) 2022 songs from my library for the purpose of ordering. So here is my ordered list of songs I own which were ranked and released in 2022:

1. Yeah, I Like You - The Goo Goo Dolls ****

In fairness I did buy plenty of music but none actually released in 2022 (aside from above). I did buy the whole album but this is the only song which has a ranking (so far).

Last edited:

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Sampling those quickly, those aren't bad. But none of them grab me to want to listen to more which is the first step to me wanting to add them to my library and rank them.

sadchild

Dude
Mar 28, 2016
NH
www.asimplecomplex.com
I think the reason I have so many each year is I seek out new music and force myself to listen to anything that's at least okay more than once. A lot of songs I've thought "it's nice but whatever" but add it to my playlist anyway and on third or fourth listen really start to enjoy it.

I currently have 27 songs on my "still checking them out, haven't deleted them but haven't downloaded them yet either" playlist where "pretty good" songs sit in limbo and get played a once or twice a week. If you click the lines above the "1/27", the full list pops up:

Reactions: HecticArt

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
I use my son as my filter. If he is listening I listen. Usually it either grabs me or it doesn't. It has always been that way for me. I usually know what I think of a song the instant I hear it. Some songs I do get sick of and a couple have grown on my over the years but the vast majority my opinion has not changed much aside from maybe the degree I like them.

Reactions: sadchild

scotchandcigar

Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
I mostly listen to classic rock/pop with the Mrs., one of the 70's/80's channels. For me, that's like turning on the TV and watching Seinfeld, or The Office. But when it's just me, I want new stuff. And whoever came up with the programming formula for XMU is a genius. They play the top new songs like once an hour, or maybe every 2 hours. So if I go somewhere that's an hour away, I'm guaranteed to hear each top track once or twice. That's what gets me to remember the song, and the name of the artist. A month later, they have different top songs, and the old ones appear maybe every 4 hours. It's a great way to expose someone to completely new music, and have it stick.

Reactions: sadchild

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
This isn't really a discovery but I can no longer enjoy the song "Closing Time" as much because I hear what it is really about now (Thanx Scotch). I don't know why this diminishes the song for me but it does.

• Haha
Reactions: scotchandcigar

scotchandcigar

Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
This isn't really a discovery but I can no longer enjoy the song "Closing Time" as much because I hear what it is really about now (Thanx Scotch). I don't know why this diminishes the song for me but it does.
Are you referring to when I talked about an interview they did, where they claimed it was about childbirth? Because I don't really believe it. I think it's one of those bullshit things bands say after the fact, to stir interest. But I can see how you would think about it every time you hear the song.

I feel the same about "Brick" by Ben Folds Five. Although I never liked the song, the fact that it's about an abortion just makes it even more depressing.

Reactions: IdRatherBeSkiing

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Are you referring to when I talked about an interview they did, where they claimed it was about childbirth? Because I don't really believe it. I think it's one of those bullshit things bands say after the fact, to stir interest. But I can see how you would think about it every time you hear the song.

I feel the same about "Brick" by Ben Folds Five. Although I never liked the song, the fact that it's about an abortion just makes it even more depressing.
Whether it's true or not, it totally messes with the song.

I like the song but it is depressing and does take away from it. I would like it better if the subject matter was different.