I just got my new Slacker G2 Portable Player…

Discussion in 'Slacker Radio' started by roscoryan, Oct 23, 2008.

1. MikeV

MikeV Member

RR, congrats on getting a G2! My only suggestion might be to take a couple of stations off the player... If you leave free space, then as you use the player more it will allocate more songs to the stations you listen to more. Otherwise it starts off with about 100 songs per station, and if you fill it to capacity, then that's about all you'll get. Admittedly, assuming 3 minutes per song, 100 songs is 5 hours of listening to one station, but if you want to play one station on your portable all day at work, you'll end up with repeats.

DAB, as far as station creation/customization... there's a great station creation tutorial in the Slacker forums. It goes into the details of all of the "fine tuning" selections, which are used to add artist discovery, song selection (unfamiliar, familiar, hits), timeframe in an artist's career, etc. Also, feel free to post there about what you might not be getting out of your Slacker experience. The folks there are very helpful and always seem glad to answer any questions.

As RR put it, it's a nice combination of satellite radio - with the professionally programmed stations - and internet radio, where any niche can be found (or created!)

And DAB, if you're looking for holiday channels on Slacker, they have 4 professionally programmed channels. They're not in the channel listings right now, but this post from their forums has links to them.

2. roscoryan

roscoryan DRC Graphics Guru

DAB, I'll try to help you on these:

1. Can the display be turned off while listening? Yes

2. Can the display brightness be turned up or down? Yes

3. Is there a sleep time that will turn it off after so long? Not yet, but they do update the software via WiFi quite frequently, so that could be a possible add. Let's put the bug in their ear, since they reported do listen to their customers.

4. If you don't use the 1GB space available for your own music, will the G2 us it to save songs? I don't believe so...I think the allocation is automatically set between the radio and your music. Of course, if you need more music per channel, I would spend the $50 extra, get the 40 channel version, and just put less channels on there to increase the number of songs loaded per channel (see MikeV's post above).

Go for it an pull the trigger this weekend big man!! You won't be disappointed! :Smiley_wink:

3. IdRatherBeSkiing

IdRatherBeSkiing This space for rent

But to make this usable, you would have to pay $7.50/month? I would not want to listen to advertising and skipping songs would be a must.

4. roscoryan

If you wanted the full capabilities, then yes you would want to get the subscription.

Without the subscriptions, the ad's are there but you only get one ad, and it is infrequent. You can also skip up to 6 songs per hour per channel...the limitations for non-subscribers are an evil imposed by our friends in the recording industry upon Slacker and Pandora.

The G2 is still very usable without a subscription. But a few extra bucks a month makes it that much more sweeter!

5. hank-the-dwarf

hank-the-dwarf Well-Known Member

Man i want pandora to come out with a device like this-i have spent a lot of time on pandora and have my stations just the way i like them.

6. TSS Taylor

TSS Taylor DRC Fan

I'm enjoying the new Slacker, but to some extent I feel locked in. It still feels a bit more limited in my head in comparison to satellite radio which is much more of an entire world on the radio.

But taking it out of the box and it being very SIMPLE to use and put together is awesome. I really think this device would be a perfect gift for say someone that isn't interested in seeking out which MP3s to download.

I still can't get over how small it is and that goes for the XMP3 here that's charging up.

The volume control is killing me. Just a small thing. It takes forever to go up and down.

Seeing the album covers on the screen if very cool. And I like knowing what's coming up next.

7. DAB

DAB Mod Emeritus

Well, I jumped on the bandwagon and picked up the Slacker G2. Took 3 or 4 people at Best Buy to figure out what the heck I was talking about. They kept telling me no, we don't sell anything like that. Maybe they sell it online. Finally they looked it up online and found them stuck in the back of a show case that had radar detectors in it. LOL

I listened to the pre-programmed channels on my way home. It is very small as others have said. I don't find the display that great, I mean it does the job, but when compared to the XMP3 and ExpressRC there is a big difference. I do agree with you Taylor on the volume button, what a pain in the ass, but I guess once you get it adjusted you don't have to change it much.

The little black covers on the connector on the bottom and the USB connector, those won't stay around long, that is a poor design. Most people will lose them there is little doubt about that.

I do love the artist info, album art and seeing what is coming up next.

Right now it is charging and downloading my 15 channels. Clearly when you first setup your channels it takes a good bit of time to download. I have a fast internet connection, but has been downloading for more than an hour and half, still only up to 7 channels fully downloaded.

I am disappointed that there is no sleep timer, but I guess it isn't that big of a deal. Being so spoiled at having docks for everything it just somehow seem sort of incomplete. Maybe they will come up with a charging dock with audio-out for the car and home eventually.

It is simple and requires very little management in terms of the music. I can see for many who hate managing music, that this would be an idea option. I am already pondering getting a couple of these for gifts this holiday season.

Now TSS-Radio needs to start selling them! :)

8. DAB

DAB Mod Emeritus

Thanks Mike, I appreciate those links. Very helpful and those holiday channels look good, though it is a little early. I am just sort of planning ahead because I have several christmas parties this year and it seems I usually bring the music. I think Slacker is going to make this easier this year and I won't have to bust my ass to hunt and pick the music this year.

Thanks Ryan, I appreciate those answers and you helped me make my decision. So, as you can see from the above post, I did pull the trigger!

9. MM

MM Administrator

I called it!! What do I win? Maybe a Slacker G2?

Hopefully, soon!

10. DAB

DAB Mod Emeritus

You win a strong desire to go get one yourself! LOL

Yeah, I think TSS will be selling them soon. I noticed there is now a thread on the Slacker Forum for XM'ers that have dropped the service and are coming home to Slacker G2.

I am still not ready to give up my sat subs!

11. roscoryan

I knew you couldn't resist dawg! :p

Get into your account, customize your radio and your stations, and give it a little time to update the channels, and you will be rolling with Slacker! It's awesome!

It took about 4-5 hours to do the initial update, but I also loaded all 25 channels on mine. If you don't make a lot of channel changes, the updates don't take all that long (mine today was about 45 minutes).

Increase the brightness, and the screen will look better.

I do agree that the volume controls aren't the greatest. But the sound quality more than makes up for that. And hopefully they can fix it with a software update.

Enjoy big man!

12. DAB

DAB Mod Emeritus

Oh one thing I wanted to comment on and I see no one has really mentioned it. The packaging for the Slacker is freaking outstanding. I mean you just feel like you've picked up something great when you open it. The box and everything is just so sexy. I was very impressed!

13. IdRatherBeSkiing

IdRatherBeSkiing This space for rent

So DAB, I guess your quest for one gadget that does everything is now out the window?

14. MikeV

MikeV Member

Congrats on the purchase, DAB! :)

15. MM

MM Administrator

I just saw the G2 in my local Best Buy ad. It had a 1/3rd of a page.

16. roscoryan

Whatchoo Talking 'bout Willis? :p

From my first post:

17. DAB

DAB Mod Emeritus

Not even! My iPod Touch still has predominance in my world. I don't see myself lugging anything but it with me on my daily travels since I use it for email, appointments, to do list, taking notes at meetings, checking stocks, weather, keeping up with the latest news and sports. Not to mention listening to Pandora (which still has some stations that I've been unable to match on Slacker) along with all my own music. The Slacker will have its place, but when I walk out the door each day I will still be grabbing my iPod Touch. It is also my understanding they may actually release a slacker app for the iPod Touch.

I can see myself using the Slacker at home and at times when I don't really need to have my iPod Touch with all of its features. The one advantage that the Slacker has over the iPod is the fact that you can download tons of professionally managed channels of music. I have at times been using the Steletto the same way, so this will ilkely replace my use of the Stiletto more than anything.

18. DAB

DAB Mod Emeritus

Thanks Mike, I appreciate all your info. You also turned me on to the Slacker Forum.

There you have it, get on it dawg, you know you want one! :)

I guess I do need to start reading your post! hehehe. Yep I sure missed that from your post. Maybe I was just so exited I forgot. :yesshake:

19. TSS Taylor

TSS Taylor DRC Fan

I think the Slacker is so cool, but I couldn't imagine using that INSTEAD of Satellite Radio. It would kill me to not have talk and information and stuff. But I guess if all someone listened to was music it might do the trick.

I think it's a perfect gift for Baby Boomers who might not be as into gadgets, but then I don't think that much of the content would be suited for them. I do think the Pop station is way more up my alley than what SIRIUS or XM has.

20. DAB

DAB Mod Emeritus

I understand what you are saying about feeling boxed in and using this totally in place of Sat Radio. That I would find very hard to do, but that is because I listen to CNN, Dr. Radio, WRN, NFL Radio, listen to NFL games when on the road and not able to stay home to watch, the same for college games. So, giving up Sat Radio for this exclusively, no can do. But as you said for those that music is their forte, I could certainly see this working for them.

The professionally programmed 70s channel is really good, I've enjoyed it and heard some jewels I've not heard in a while on Sat radio. There is on channel Today's Hits that the programming makes no sense. I read what the programmer claims he is trying to do, but it doesn't do much for me. Country Classic, well with Sirius you know this is anything 20 years or older. I am not sure what they consider classic on Slacker, because I clearly heard music that isn't even classic. I even used the fine tunning to adjust the settings.

I just don't want to see this as a $200 device that will end up in a desk drawer. Still looking forward to playing with your XMP3 ;)