I Am Getting A New Phone

Discussion in 'Apple' started by IdRatherBeSkiing, Nov 10, 2017.

1. IdRatherBeSkiing

IdRatherBeSkiing This space for rent

Today started like any other day. Grabbed my phone. By the time I got to work it was the usual 30% down. Threw it on the work charger. No juice. It has been finicky for months and getting more so. Finally wiggled it to charging. Decided to open Apple app to make appointment to get it looked at. Been thinking about this for some time but today was last straw. Reason I didn't was I dreaded being without my phone for any length of time. He did offer that as an option and he would make an appointment for me. But the one he suggested and the one I took is they send me a new phone (same model and config as mine 6S 128Gb -- and new not refurbished. I asked and he said it would be new) and then I ship them back my damaged one. This is under AppleCare+ for which I have coverage until late December. Of course they have a hold on my CC in case I decide to keep 2 phones. I have 10 days from time of receipt to return old one (they include boxes and shipping labels). A couple of caveats. If they decide to be real dicks and decide that my charging issues are due to accidental damage (drops or water) I would be left holding the bill for a new phone or the repair options. I don't think this is the case as phone has been in case and not dropped too many times (I don't know anybody that hasn't dropped their phone accidentally at least once). I also think that this would qualify for the $45 damage claim that we are supposed to get 2 of. But this would all have to be fought once they get my current phone. The plus is I have no time without a phone.

Got a mail tonight that it has been shipped (FexEx). I have to call my carrier and confirm it is just a matter of changing sim cards with them.

Of course I only have warrentee coverage for the duration of my AppleCare plan. But the phone would be new so less likely an issue and plan would be the same in this situation as with current phone -- use carrier subsidy and get a new phone (7, 8 or X).

2. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

Cool. Good luck with the rest of the exchange.

3. Aaron

Aaron Moderator

Good Deal...

Sounds like my old 6S too. Towards the end, it was a challenge just to get that thing to hold a charge.

Life got better for me with the X and better battery life.

4. IdRatherBeSkiing

FexEx says my phone will be here Monday morning. Fortunately it is a holiday for me. I do hope they come before I have to go out.

5. semipenguin

semipenguin Bum Looker

Make sure Wolf doesn’t get a hold of it. You’ll start posting with bad grammar

IdRatherBeSkiing and Aaron like this.
  6. IdRatherBeSkiing

In the last month, I have had to exchange for full replacement my Bose QC-30 bluetooth noise cancelling headphones, my Bose QC-20i noise cancelling headphones and my iPhone. All but the QC-30s on the second year of an extended warrantee. I get the warrantee on the headphones since I have always been hard on headphones. Cheap ones only lasted a couple of months. I am now on my 3rd or 4th pair of my QC-20i headphones and all I have had to pay is the price of the new warrentee. But it is kind of fluky that all would fail and need to be replaced in the span of 1 month.

7. IdRatherBeSkiing

My new phone is here. It is being recovered. So far it came with iOS10.3.3 so I don't have to upgrade however, I probably will be forced to to get my ringtones on my device. I have probably a day of re-setting up all my custom ringtones. Will see once the restore and sync are completed.

8. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

For as much fun as a new phone is,
    I hate trying to get everything set back up the way I like it.

9. IdRatherBeSkiing

Yes, I know. And this one is new but it is the same phone model. No new goodies. It is also surprising what does not get restored. ApplePay (all cards), finger print ids, ringtone associations (I don't think). Plus there are always a handful of apps that are no longer available in the app store.

10. IdRatherBeSkiing

No iOS11 update required. The trick they said only works on iOS11 also works on iOS10. Sneaky bastards.

And everything is all good. Now I got to clear and package my old phone.

11. IdRatherBeSkiing

I am amazed at how many things were broken on my old phone. I found that some credit card kiosks didn't work with my amex card with my old phone. Now some of those do work. My old phone had issues in restoring LTE after it went to a weak signal area and dropped to 3G. And the battery life is amazingly better on the new one. I did not charge all day and still at 51%. I had assumed most of this was just quirks with the 6S. It was just a bad phone.

HecticArt likes this.
  12. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

My phone keeps getting worse. I'm considering trying a factory reset to see if that clears out some of the mayhem that's sapping my battery life.