Hurricane Sandy

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
Assuming both parties had a functioning HAM radio.

Yes. Also assuming we had power, were on the same frequency, and were alive simultaneously. And in the same universe under a multiverse model. And either had speech and hearing or could use some other sense for communication via HAM. There are many assumptions behind this scenario.

I guess even without you could still argue but not be heard.

Now that's just silly.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Yes. Also assuming we had power, were on the same frequency, and were alive simultaneously. And in the same universe under a multiverse model. And either had speech and hearing or could use some other sense for communication via HAM. There are many assumptions behind this scenario.

Now that's just silly.

You have a very strange definition of what is silly.

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
so just about 100 miles off the coast of atlantic city...this seems bad. hope everyone is either evacuated or prepared.

Biaviian

Nov 17, 2008
It's now classified as a "Superstorm".

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S III via Tapatalk :)

Our local stations have been calling it that for two days. It hasn't been too impressive yet. Then again my property is lined with trees so I don't see the wind as much. We haven't lost power though. Only 4,000 in my county have.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Wolf

Rainbow Sherbet WILL ALWAYS BE ICE CREAM!
Oct 11, 2008
Koop's Basement
Couple pics coming out of New York.

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
saw that crane pic on gawker early yesterday. not sure if it has anything to do with sandy.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
I saw a transformer explosion in NY (via FB). Quite cool.

We survived with just 1 death due to falling Staples sign (that was easy). Lost some power in some areas (not me). And killed a whole bunch of trees. The trees in their dieing breath took some vengance on some houses and cars.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
It's even better in person, I'm sure. I've had a few explode by my houses over the years. One was about 25 yards from my back deck.

This one was huge and from across a river. It lit up the whole screen. It may have been a transformer station rather than just one on a pole.

Vargas

Molon Labe!
Oct 16, 2008
Western, PA
Had my basement flood ONCE a few years ago when the 3ft of snow on the ground melted due to about two days of rain. I spent most of the day yesterday moving everything off the basement floor just in case.

Had new batteries in every flashlight and every Ipod and Nintendo DS fully charged in case we lost power so the kids would have something to do. Cell Phone portable chargers were ready as well. Fireplace had been cleaned out and ready to go for heat.

Plenty of water and food available--I was ready to go for a few days.

Power? Never went out.

Basement? Dry as can be.

The only place that got wet due to rain? The fireplace. It was so windy and raining so hard it was dripping down a little bit. Probably could have still had a fire if needed but I never did.

Biaviian

Nov 17, 2008
I never lost power and no water in my basement, not even a drop in the crock for the sump pump. I did have a tree blow over and lean against an electric pole. Thankfully it didn't hit the wires or knock over the pole. Won't be easy to clean-up because it is a low area on the property and it will take several days to weeks to dry out enough to get a truck down there.

Casual Fan

Surprisingly nice
Oct 14, 2008
Roanoke, VA
I saw a transformer explosion in NY (via FB). Quite cool.

Dear God, tell me it wasn't Optimus Prime!

Just gusty wind (60 mph) and rain here. Snow in the higher elevations. We have power and cable/internet at home and office.

I think we paid our dues during June's derecho. A week of no power with temps near 100.

I have in-laws at the beach in Delaware...so far, so good, but I think my wife's grandmother will have water in her house. They can't get to it yet--the National Guard isn't letting anyone drive around town.

Wolf

Rainbow Sherbet WILL ALWAYS BE ICE CREAM!
Oct 11, 2008
Koop's Basement
Still no problems over here, nice and sunny all day in the mid 80's! :p

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Biaviian

Nov 17, 2008
To my surprise people stopped and removed the tree for me. I assume it was the township. I'm sort of mad about it because I wanted the wood. It wasn't worth me going out in the cold rain to tell them to stop so I just let them do the work while I watched through binoculars and worked in my office.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2