How many miles is a Kia car good for ?

Discussion in 'The Studio Lounge' started by out of control, Nov 20, 2008.

1. As I understand it Kia is American made now. They have some 10 year/100,000 mile warranty. Does anyone know how many miles these engines are good for ?

Currently I have a Ford that has treated me very well with 130,000 miles on it right now. I want to buy a new car very soon with a couple monthly payments to pay it off. The smaller size cars I'm looking at are reasonable prices new.

I have not gotten up close to any of the cars yet, but I have on my radar......
    Toyota matrix
    Honda fit
    Kia Rio 5

Kind of leaning towards Toyota, but I want to view all of them closely.

How many miles can I get on a Kia ?

2. memebag

memebag Top Brass, ADVP

My last car was a Kia. I drove it for about 6 years, 80,000 miles or so. At the end lots of stuff was failing that wasn't covered by the warranty. My mechanic told me to buy a Toyota. I'll pass that advice along to you.

3. Yes I'm definitely leaning to Toyota, but like to here your Kia experience.

4. TX WJ

TX WJ Intelligent Donkey

Kia and Hyundais are good cars but as the age, stuff will break.

Resale value is much better on a Toyota or Honda, I would drive the Fit and Matrix and see what you think.

5. nafddur

nafddur Member

With 80K miles, most Nissans, Hondas and Toyotas are barely broken in.

As for foreign cars now being assembled in the USA, that's been a step backwards for most of them. I still search for foreign assembled cars (though they are getting harder and harder to find these days). The reason my current Maxima - going on 200K miles - will be my last one of those.

6. Casual Fan

Casual Fan Surprisingly nice

You'll save a lot of money if you buy a low-mileage used vehicle--unless some car dealership that's about to go belly up is offering sweetheart deals.

Toyota, Honda, and Subaru always top Consumer Reports' lists.

CR on used cars:

7. memebag

memebag Top Brass, ADVP

The problem is that lots of people know this now, so the resale value of Toyotas and Hondas is sky high. I wanted to buy a 1 or 2 year old xB, but they price was so close to the new ones that it wasn't worth it.

8. Supafly

Supafly Member

If you're car has 130,000 miles, is paid for and runs why buy a new one?

My Accord has 240,000. It's just getting started. 87 Civic ran for 417,000 till it got flooded.

People love car payments. Save your money. We're at the first stages of a long depression.

9. memebag

memebag Top Brass, ADVP

Because eventually there are just too many farts for any air freshener to hide.

10. Well I have always done this in the past. This would be my first brand new car. I figure I can take advantage of the economy, and get a very sweet deal. I won't need financing so I'm in a good situation I feel, and I am pretty hard when it comes to negotiations. I will drive away with a very good deal only.

11. Because it is a Ford. It has been very good to me, but signs are starting to show. One example is I need a new oil pan at my next oil change, and that is a pretty big project on the car. Other signs are showing as well. I will be paying off the car in only a few payments, and can get new for only a couple thousand extra. Fords don't run as long as the cars you mentioned above. This is why I will probably be going with a Toyota. I'm a pretty light driver so the car should last a very long time. Besides if I have the cash basically. I should be taking advantage of the bad economy for a excellent deal. IMO

Last edited: Nov 20, 2008
  12. Casual Fan

Casual Fan Surprisingly nice

This is true for the most popular makes, but only because everyone knows that 36,000 miles is a drop in the bucket for most Japanese cars. Mazda is an exception, and the 6 and 3 are decent cars with lower resale.

You'll also fare well if you keep your car for 10 years. But going from one 60-month new car loan right into another is bad behavior.

13. Clevey

Clevey New Member

The Fit is definitely far and away the best rated of the three cars you are considering. The Rio is very basic, but will last you for 100,000+ miles, the Matrix is, well, boring. The Fit has plenty of room, handles well, moves decently given the size of the engine and gets the best mileage...I'd look at it. I own a Hyundai, which has served me very well, but in your situation, I'd make the Fit the #1 choice.

14. I bought my 97 Ford back in 1999 or 2000. I think it had like 25 thousand miles on it at the time. I paid for it full at the time for like 10 grand. Now I am driving a lot less. So a new toyota should last me many many years. Plus a new Toyota is not very much more then a used one. Besides it is very hard to even find good used ones in my area with low miles.

Don't you think as a good negotiator I should be able to get a great deal ? With the economy the way it is. No loans for me. It will be paid off quickly.

15. I'm looking at the "S" model matrix. Which is the next up from the base model. I'm leaning that way cause it has more room then the Fit. Although I have not looked up close at either yet. Pretty much I will be choosing between these two cars. So we will see once I go to the dealer to get up, and personal.

16. Comparing Honda Fit sport, and Toyota Matrix S manuals. The interior amount of space is actually pretty close. Think I may look at the Fit sport first........I think the Honda Fit sport is actually a better deal at sticker price anyway.

Compare Vehicles - the Official Honda Web Site

17. Supafly

Supafly Member

I know you all hopped up on choosing a new car. It's lots of fun. Don't mean to bring you down.

Just some friendly advice. If you've got cash hold on to it. Cash is becoming King.

At least drive the Ford six more months. The economic problems facing us are going to get a lot worse in the next few years.

You might be able to get a Porshe for a couple thousand (or some food) before too long.

Anyways good luck. The Fit's a neat little car. Some say it's underpowered.

I like the Civic with similiar gas mileage and more power for the interstate.

18. MM

MM Administrator

A few years ago when gas was beginning to rise I have to get rid of my beloved 2005 Explorer. I bought a 96 Toyota Corolla for $4000. It had 40,000 real miles on it.

From then until this summer I had a 120 mile a day roundtrip commute (sometimes more), so getting rid of the SUV helped. My commute is much shorter now that I moved much, much closer to work. I now have a 26 mile roundtrip commute.

I put 70,000 miles on my car in less than two years when I had that long commute. The Corolla stood up to the challenge and delivered everyday.

The Corolla is a great machine. I had to put some money in it, timing belt, brakes, tires, and a few others. But that's short money IMO. My mechanic said "I'll see you at 250,000 miles."

It's not my dream car and it's hard for me to go to Home Depot and get what I need, but the no monthly payment and the less than $20 to fill it up (for now) makes it worth it for me at this point.

Now I just need to find a good used truck. :)

19. memebag

memebag Top Brass, ADVP

If you want more room, there's always the Scion xB. The gas mileage isn't great, but there's tons of room and it's a lot of fun.

out of control likes this.
  20. I'm not fond of the xb square/box look. The fit has some nice rear seat adjustment features that really opens up your space when passengers are not using the rear seats. Passengers are generally minimal in my vehicle usage.

I actually really like the ultra low emissions feature of the sport fit. Yes the sport fit has good gas mileage, but I am actually more intrigued by less emissions. That is a important feature creating less emissions. Power is a little short, but my driving is fairly minimal so it is not a bust for me. I won't be racing anyone either.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2008