How long do we have to continue to endure E-Street Radio?

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
I'm in the Rockies and I'm a big Springsteen Fan, have been since Born in the USA (when I was 9, gawd I feel old!!) But even I question the need for a single-artist channel, especially when you look at the demographic that Sirius is trying to attract. Since most of the single-artist channels around are from (if you'll pardon the expression) old farts. Good old farts, I grant you, but old farts, none the less.

Springsteen (he's what 62 now?)
Sinatra (Dead)
Grateful Dead (Jerry Garcia, dead)
Elvis (Dead, or working at a 7-11 in Tupelo, one of the two)
Jimmy Buffett (Pushing 60 now?)
Met Opera radio (great, but I don't find many people under 30 listening to opera on a full-time basis).

Even your boy Howard Stern isn't getting any younger, and there are plenty in this generation who have never heard of Howard Stern, so he's not the draw he once was. And that doesn't include Martha or Oprah who have NOTHING to do with radio whatsoever.

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
I'm in the Rockies and I'm a big Springsteen Fan, have been since Born in the USA (when I was 9, gawd I feel old!!) But even I question the need for a single-artist channel, especially when you look at the demographic that Sirius is trying to attract. Since most of the single-artist channels around are from (if you'll pardon the expression) old farts. Good old farts, I grant you, but old farts, none the less.

Springsteen (he's what 62 now?)
Sinatra (Dead)
Grateful Dead (Jerry Garcia, dead)
Elvis (Dead, or working at a 7-11 in Tupelo, one of the two)
Jimmy Buffett (Pushing 60 now?)
Met Opera radio (great, but I don't find many people under 30 listening to opera on a full-time basis).

Even your boy Howard Stern isn't getting any younger, and there are plenty in this generation who have never heard of Howard Stern, so he's not the draw he once was. And that doesn't include Martha or Oprah who have NOTHING to do with radio whatsoever.

Sinatra and Margaritaville aren't single-artist channels. They're named after artists, and it seems a lot of people are confused on it. (It's like how XM had Lucy, Fred, and Ethel.)

Elvis is still huge, and it seems like the broadcast studios in Graceland aren't going anywhere anytime soon. (If they can get their name out there like that, that's probably not a bad thing. If they're not paying a lot )

Howard's contract has been paid for, and then some.

I think everyone is in the same boat as you regarding Martha and Oprah. I can see a "women's interests" channel featuring programming from those two, but the current situation isn't a good one.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON

What gives you the impression that Sirius XM is trying to attract the demographic you mention at least at the expense of other demographics? I am not saying they shouldn't but I don't see any specific stuff they are doing to target this generation specifically.

xan_user

Banned
Dec 16, 2008
Nor-Cal
How can you have SAG from a new artist? There's not enough songs to fill half a days worth of programming. - oh thats right,never mind, SXM needs only 8 hours of music to make a channel. :(

TX WJ

Intelligent Donkey
Oct 15, 2008
Chucktown
One of the best things about Slacker is that you can ban The Boss and you never have to listen to him.

I think that we should have 2-3 single artist channels that change monthly. That way Sirius can get its Payola and also have a 1 month tribute channel the next time someone dies, like Michael Jackson.

I love the Beatles but after a month I would get tired of it.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
One of the best things about Slacker is that you can ban The Boss and you never have to listen to him.

I think that we should have 2-3 single artist channels that change monthly. That way Sirius can get its Payola and also have a 1 month tribute channel the next time someone dies, like Michael Jackson.

I love the Beatles but after a month I would get tired of it.

Amen and Amen! No Bruce, No Wham, No George Michael! Slacker also allows you to customize and create stations that are much deeper yet will play a lot more of the hits than most Sirius channels.

I have no problem with limited run channels as long as that is what they are limited run.

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN
E Street Radio has been limited run for 3+yrs now :hatsoff:

I'm going to go get a sandwich now :idunno:

Baby we were born to eat, drink, sleep, & poop :shock:
Posted via Mobile Device

hwkn

Oct 14, 2008
Evanston,IL
It'll be on til Sony[his label] decides otherwise until then just grin and bear it or don't listen to it[your choice].

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
What gives you the impression that Sirius XM is trying to attract the demographic you mention at least at the expense of other demographics? I am not saying they shouldn't but I don't see any specific stuff they are doing to target this generation specifically.

I gave my explanation in my post, which wasn't all the way quoted.

Fergz99

Oct 14, 2008
I think we can safely say this is a permanent channel at this point!
I'm still surprised that they got rid of the Stones Channel. That thing wouldn't die either.

But Bruce's most recent tour just ended, so maybe they will stop E Street since the tour is over.

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
I'm still surprised that they got rid of the Stones Channel. That thing wouldn't die either.

But Bruce's most recent tour just ended, so maybe they will stop E Street since the tour is over.

They could kill the Greatful Dead channel. How many "deadheads" are signing up for Sirius? Ugh.

I think Bruce has gone on about 2 tours since his channel started. With any bit of luck but good, he'll be starting a new tour in a matter of months.

AZJoe

Oct 11, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Half of JamON used to be GD, so they can go back there and free up some space...for the Groove to be put on Sirius!!!

SIRIUSaboutXM

DRC Special Contributor
Oct 29, 2008
Anderson, SC
SXM needs to combine E Street & Underground Garage as 1 channel and the same for Jam On & Grateful Dead Channel. They could run 6 or 12 hour blocks of each channel since the rerun most programming anyway. That would make room for much, much popular artist channels like: The Stones, Beatles, Led Zep or Country artists.