how do you rewind on Slacker?

Discussion in 'Slacker Radio' started by joker454, Nov 6, 2008.

1. joker454

joker454 New Member

I've been trying out the Slacker software player, and signed up for the 7 day trial. So far so good, but how do you rewind to hear a song again? I can skip forwards as much as I like, but the rewind button remains grayed out. Also, the right side displays a list of the songs that have been played on the current channel. How can I go back and play one of them? Right now clicking on one does nothing, all I can do it ban it or ad it to my favorites list. I'm used to my XM Skyfi that I've been using for years, where I rewind to re-hear a just played song that I like, is this not possible on Slacker?

Thanks!

2. Music licenses do not allow you to activate replay or rewind a specific song, or to play a particular song or artist on demand. This is with internet radio in general not just Slacker.

What was the phone number for the RIAA ? :scratch:

3. DAB

DAB Mod Emeritus

You can only rewind your own music that you've copied to the device, but not the channels that you download from Slacker.

4. joker454

joker454 New Member

Ah ok so it's by design. Thanks guys!

5. RomeE

RomeE New Member

Replaying Songs.

Hi,
    Just to add on to the already great information posted in response. If you have our premium radio subscription, then you would be able to save the song to your library (if we have the licenses) and then you could listen to it whenever you want by selecting the song from your library.

Hope that helps.

Thanks,
    Rome E
    Slacker Support

6. IdRatherBeSkiing

IdRatherBeSkiing This space for rent

I can do it with my buffer on the SL2. How is this any different? The RIAA are morons.

7. DAB

DAB Mod Emeritus

Great Info, I always forget that you can save the songs. I do have several of them saved and in fact listened to them last night as I made myself a playlist.

Thanks for the reminder!

8. RomeE

RomeE New Member

And yes, this is not permitted by our contracts.

Slacker is an Internet Radio service. We have to follow DMCA rules, and so as a Radio Service we can't provide you unlimited replays of your songs. If you want more control, then you have to negotiate separate rights with the labels, and we did do this, this is why our Premium Radio Subscription is available.

Thanks,
    Rome E
    Slacker Support

9. joker454

joker454 New Member

Nice, didn't even notice that. Are there any limits to 'saved songs'? Like do they auto delete themselves after a few days?

10. RomeE

RomeE New Member

As long as you have the Premium Subscription, there is no limits. You are free to play them as much as you want.

Thanks,
    Rome E
    Slacker Support

11. joker454

joker454 New Member

Very cool. Two more q's for you. I just played around with the save songs feature for a bit, there were a couple of songs that it didn't let me save because they didn't have the 'license'. Is this a temporary limitation, as in one day they will get the license for the song, or will some songs permanently not have a license and hence never be save-able?

Second...I don't have the hardware portable player yet, but assuming I did, do saved songs get copied to the portable as well? For example, if I left the player docked overnight at home to download a few hours of my favorite channels so I can play then on the road, will all my saved songs also be available on the portable?

12. SatRadioRules

SatRadioRules Member

I think what you save online and what you save on the portable are different and they don't transfer to each other during a refresh...at least, mine don't. Perhaps that's a software upgrade later!

Another suggestion would be to select "shuffle" and then choose X number of stations so that during playback, it pulls from more than one station.

I love this thing! I just created a station by choosing only songs from many artists, rather than just choose the artists. How cool is that??

13. RomeE

RomeE New Member

Licenses are always being negotiated, so, it's ever changing. If there are artists that you can not save because licenses are not available, let us know and we'll see if we can work on them sooner.

Saved songs can be transferred to the Portable. If you go to the Web Player, and then the Portable Tab, AND you have a Portable Associated with the account, then you have two tabs. Transfer Radio Stations, or Transfer Radio Tracks. If you use the Transfer Radio Tracks you can pick which saved radio songs you want to transfer to the Portable.

The Saved Songs do use up your personal space, so you probably can't put ALL of your saved songs on at once, but you can manage them at least.

Thanks,
    Rome E
    Slacker Support

14. RomeE - Any promo codes or sales scheduled for the G2 25 channel between now, and end of year ? I'm in the market for a player of this type. May even give premium a try.

15. MikeV

MikeV Member

Songs saved via the web player can be synced to the portable... see the Portable tab > Transfer Saved Songs... Songs saved on the portable don't seem to sync back to the web player though.

16. RomeE

RomeE New Member

Right now we have free shipping and no sales tax on all orders from our online store.

I don't know of any other plans at this time for other promotions, but they generally don't give us a heads up on that sort of thing.

Thanks,
    Rome E
    Slacker Support

17. IdRatherBeSkiing

IdRatherBeSkiing This space for rent

Would you happen to have heard any plans to expand into Canada? I was certainly dismayed when I tried to investigate slacker.com and found it to be unavailable in my locale.

18. RomeE

RomeE New Member

Hi,

That's all legal stuff. I know that we would love to expand into Canada, but it requires us to secure the legal rights to, and in Canada, the rights to the songs may belong to different organizations.

I know that we have held discussions to support other regions, but until we clear all the legal hurdles, we can't.

As soon as we get those legal rights, then I'm sure you'll see all types of announcements from us 8*).

Thanks,
    Rome E
    Slacker Support

19. Thanks for the heads up. I hope to get a 4 gig in the next few weeks. I will be ordering from your site. I have no BB in my area.