Hazelnuts: What's the deal?

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
I love hazelnuts, but they seem to be a European thing. Why don't more Americans eat them? Are they just not marketed here? Are Americans more likely to be allergic to them or something?

hyson

Forum Jerk
Oct 19, 2008
What makes you believe Americans don't eat Hazelnuts?

I drink coffee with Hazelnut creamer everday.

Aaron

Oct 10, 2008
South Louisiana
What makes you think Nutella isn't a big seller? I see advertisements all of the time.

My roomy in college ate it religiously.
I guess I meant that's more popular in Europe. I know we never sold much of it when I worked in the grocery business.

hyson

Forum Jerk
Oct 19, 2008
I guess I meant that's more popular in Europe. I know we never sold much of it when I worked in the grocery business.

But Nutella isn't straight hazelnut. I'm not a fan of cow milk nor chocolate, which are the other 2 major ingredients

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
What makes you believe Americans don't eat Hazelnut?

The fact that no American chocolate bar has them, while there are plenty with peanuts and almonds.

Nutella used to be hard to find here, but peanut butter is everywhere.

hyson

Forum Jerk
Oct 19, 2008
The fact that no American chocolate bar has them, while there are plenty with peanuts and almonds.

Nutella used to be hard to find here, but peanut butter is everywhere.

So, is your question "Why are peanuts and almonds more prolific than hazelnuts?" or your original question?

Oh, and peanuts are legumes.

Biaviian

Nov 17, 2008

I wouldn't say that. I've had plenty of American made chocolate bars with hazelnuts. Maybe they wasn't made by Hershey or Mars but they were certainly American made.

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
I wouldn't say that. I've had plenty of American made chocolate bars with hazelnuts. Maybe they wasn't made by Hershey or Mars but they were certainly American made.

What were they called? Where did you find them? A search of the internet shows only one US candy bar maker with a hazelnut bar, and it's a tiny company in Vermont with no national distribution.

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
Business & Technology | U.S. hazelnut growers find home market a tough nut to crack | Seattle Times Newspaper

Selling Americans on hazelnuts is bound to be an uphill battle, say industry watchers.

"Americans have a very long history with peanuts," said J. Frank McGill, the University of Georgia's distinguished professor of agronomy.

Compared with almost all other nuts, especially the peanut, the hazelnut has done dismally in the United States.

In 1965, Americans consumed slightly less than 1 ounce of hazelnuts per person, a tiny percentage of the 5.4 pounds of peanuts eaten per capita in the form of raw nuts, candy bars, snacks and peanut butter.

By 2003 — the most recent year for which figures are available — peanut consumption had boomed to more than 6 pounds per person, while hazelnut consumption hadn't budged.

"We drink European wine, we drive European cars, we go there on vacation; why can't we eat their nuts?" said McDonald.

See? Hazelnuts are very popular in Europe, and not popular at all in the US. How come? Why aren't you people eating more hazelnuts? I'm doing my part.

blyons200

These pretzels are making me thirsty.
Oct 12, 2008
The BBQ Capital

hyson

Forum Jerk
Oct 19, 2008
Business & Technology | U.S. hazelnut growers find home market a tough nut to crack | Seattle Times Newspaper

See? Hazelnuts are very popular in Europe, and not popular at all in the US. How come? Why aren't you people eating more hazelnuts? I'm doing my part.

Hazelnuts have a much longer history is Europe and Western Asia. They've had a longer time to gather an audience and popularity.

You should pose your concerns to the Hazelnut Marketing Board. Maybe they'll make you their leader. :lol:

Biaviian

Nov 17, 2008
What were they called? Where did you find them? A search of the internet shows only one US candy bar maker with a hazelnut bar, and it's a tiny company in Vermont with no national distribution.

I have no idea what it's called; it is given to me every time I go to Milwaukee. It could be from Milwaukee or it could be from one of our customers (our customers basically span the entire country so it could be from anywhere). It could also be from a local chocolate maker.They also give me chocolate with sea salt in it.

Last night I did find out that a local chocolate maker makes chocolate candy with hazelnuts in it. The chocolate isn't in bar form but rather is a ball of chocolate with a hazelnut inside it. This is a VERY small chocolate shop that makes all of their own candy in small batches. The name escapes me at the moment. It just opened a month or two ago.

hyson

Forum Jerk
Oct 19, 2008
I have no idea what it's called; it is given to me every time I go to Milwaukee. It could be from Milwaukee or it could be from one of our customers (our customers basically span the entire country so it could be from anywhere). It could also be from a local chocolate maker.They also give me chocolate with sea salt in it.

Last night I did find out that a local chocolate maker makes chocolate candy with hazelnuts in it. The chocolate isn't in bar form but rather is a ball of chocolate with a hazelnut inside it. This is a VERY small chocolate shop that makes all of their own candy in small batches. The name escapes me at the moment. It just opened a month or two ago.

This might help:
List of chocolate bar brands - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia