Has anyone checked out a new Windows phone?

Discussion in 'Windows' started by Ehilbert1, Dec 27, 2010.

1. Ehilbert1

Ehilbert1 Ooh-Rah!!!!

I was just wondering if anyone checked it out. I looked at the new HD7 and its pretty solid. The OS has a lot of potential. I think its lack of 3rd party multitasking is killing it right now. The SMS/MMS client is very very nice. The music and video player is straight from Zune. What I don't like about it is the blue tiles on the front. Yuck..... you can't even customize it. Your stuck with those blocks. I guess time will tell if it takes off.

2. ProperModulation

ProperModulation Green Type of Tube

I think a year from now Win Phone 7 will be part of the Big 3 in the smart phone world (WP7, Android, and iOS). It's still new so it won't be as polished or have as much app support for a while. From what I have read it seems very nice and solid, especially the media player aspect (Zune). Hopefully it won't be as locked down as iOS so that they can have more in-depth apps and customization. And hopefully they'll allow for true multitasking in the future. Right now I am way hooked on my Android but in 18 months when my contract is up I will give WP7 a good look.

3. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

I loved my old WinMo phone. The seamless integration with Office was awesome.

The new version will be great if they can learn from iPhone and Android fast enough. They're playing catch up right now.

But to answer your question, no, I haven't looked at one. I've got over a year and a half left on my X, and I don't want to start getting the itch for a new phone so soon. A lot of cool toys will come out between now and then.

4. Ehilbert1

Ehilbert1 Ooh-Rah!!!!

I know what you mean Hectic. I still have a lof of time left on my EVO contract. I'm happy with what I have I just like checking out new things. I can only imagine what HTC has lined up 6 monthes from now. Hopefully they will come out with an EVO 2. When my contract is up I will check out a Windows 7 phone. Who knows maybe Sprint will have the Iphone by then.

5. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

I just know how weak I am once I set my eye on a new gadget. I have to keep an arms length from the new toys.

6. geosync

geosync Well-Known Member

I just picked up a nokia Lumia 900 on at&teets. I hate at&teets, but the Gf put me on the family plan, so i'm giving it a shot. my first smartphizzle. It's a big device, i can tell you that much.

7. Aaron

Aaron Moderator

Cool... After a few days let us know how you like it!

8. Biaviian

Biaviian Well-Known Member

On one hand I envy you people that pay for your own phone/plan because you have more choices. On the other hand, I love having never paid for a cell phone. From what I've heard about the OS, it is very nice. I was talking to somebody on Saturday that had one.

9. hyson

hyson Forum Jerk

Does anyone know where I can get a new Blackberry? I hear they're all the rage.

10. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

I just heard the other day that they have more than $1,000,000,000 of back stock product they can't sell.
    Iceberg! !!!!!!!!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

11. geosync

Yeah it's not an I-phone, but I didn't want one of those. I like Nokia's and was waiting for this device. I like it. The call quality is really very good, had one drop, but I think it was the other person's phone that tapped out. Web browsing if fast, especially here at home on wi-fi. Everyone seems to like the size of the icons on the start page. The app store is limited I'm finding, compared to some other phones, but it doesn't break my heart. I don't like that after 5 minutes the phone goes into standby mode, and you have to hit the on button on the side, then slide up the screen to get it back going. I imagine that button will fail one day, and the phone will become a nice big blue paperweight. Oh well, for a first smartphone it's been fairly easy to setup and use, and it turns heads when I-phone and Droid users are around. Plus the GF digs the difference between it and her I-Phone 4.

12. Manco

Manco Active Member

Nokia 900 user here. It is simply a better phone than my iPhone was in almost all ways. It is faster, easier to use for the things I need it for. Call quality and speaker phone are simply amazing by comparison. Bluetooth works well too.

I turned off my iPhone after getting it and haven't needed to turn it back on. I'm glad to be rid of iTunes.

13. memebag

memebag Top Brass, ADVP

You don't miss the apps? I have tons of apps on my Android phone and iPad that have no equivalent on Windows Phone.

14. Manco

Manco Active Member

There is only one app I actually miss related to 2 factor authentication, but plenty of new ones to play with. My favorites are built in ones, such as "Local Scout" to find anything of interest in the general vicinity, Bing verbal search, Zune music, and last but certainly not least, the awesome email integration. The one button access to the camera is pretty nice too and much faster than my iPhone.

My wife has fell in love with Wordament game, so I have to wrestle the phone back out of her hands :( She has an iPhone 4.

Part of the improved experience is the fact that my Windows phone has 4G LTE which makes the internet actually usable on AT&T.

Probably my biggest complaint would be the camera doesn't take as good as photos as my wife's iPhone, but they are definitely better than my iPhone 3GS

15. geosync

Ya, the phone does fly around on the web, especially on wi-fi here at the house, video loads up fast as can be. At times I wish it were a bit closer to the I-phone's size, simply for one handed use, I tend to have both hands on it most of the time. Although I'm finding ways to use one hand, i have small stubby sausage fingers. I don't miss the zillion apps, cuz I never had them, so you could call me a rube there.

16. DAB

DAB Mod Emeritus

Manco your new Windows Phone is faster than a 3 year old iPhone.. imagine that! LOL

17. Manco

Manco Active Member

Faster than my wife's iphone 4, but your point is well taken.

18. Manco

Manco Active Member

19. DAB

DAB Mod Emeritus

I actually do like the Windows Phone interface. I just wonder how well those phones are selling.

I think with iPhone and coming soon the Android Galaxy III MS/Nokia has it work cut out. That freaking Galaxy II Android looks mighty SWEET!

20. Manco

Manco Active Member

I agree, I think Microsoft has it's work cut out for them. The android ice cream sandwich interface is pretty flashy, and the windows phone doesn't sell itself well on the shelf. I probably would have gotten the android if it was available simply by comparison it sold itself better, but it was only on display to be released later. But I am really happy I got the Nokia Windows Phone instead. I have used other peoples new Androids enough to know it is cool, but cool only goes so far. I prefer the simplicity of what Microsoft has done.

I think Windows 8 phone will sell better off the shelf and with the tie in to the surface and windows 8 desktop it will give it a fighting chance, although it is likely to only obtain 3rd place in the US even as it is outdoing iPhone in some of the international markets.