Greatest Drummers Of All Time

Ehilbert1

Ooh-Rah!!!!
Oct 13, 2008
Columbus, OH
I can't believe they have Ringo on there and not Lars Ulrich. That man can drum. I don't think he's the best by a mile but damn good!

Oh yea and what about Richard (diaper man) Christy???? ;)

Reactions: HecticArt

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
I don't even think Lars is even the best METAL drummer. A little disappointing that someone like Mick Fleetwood didn't make the list. I'd take him over Ringo.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Of this list....

1. Neil Peart
2. Keith Moon
3. Danny Carey
4. Dave Grohl
5. Phil Collins

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
They had a hard time finding 10 of the 16 that most people would know. Some folks will know Aldridge, less will know Rivera, the younger ones won't really know Rivera's band.

scotchandcigar

All I wanted was some steak
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
Of this list....
1. Neil Peart
2. Keith Moon
3. Danny Carey
4. Dave Grohl
5. Phil Collins
How did Phil Collins even get on this list? He's a great singer/songwriter, and plays a good drum, but I didn't know he was even considered in these circles. I mean, for the non-musician crowd, he's widely known, and most know he plays drums, but that's it.

You can't include Gene Krupa, you have to (implicitly) restrict the list to rock/pop music types. If you include jazz/fusion, you'd have 100 other names (Billy Cobham for one). My vote for drummer missing from this list is Carter Beauford (DMB).

Ehilbert1

Ooh-Rah!!!!
Oct 13, 2008
Columbus, OH
No Tommy Lee??!! (ducks)

Tommy can play. He should be nowhere near that list but he can play. Yea most of their music sucks in my opinion but I have seen them play. Vince can't sing anymore but the band sounded good. Tommy used to do some really cool drum solo's and he put on a good show.

Casual Fan

Surprisingly nice
Oct 14, 2008
Roanoke, VA
Tommy can play. He should be nowhere near that list but he can play. Yea most of their music sucks in my opinion but I have seen them play. Vince can't sing anymore but the band sounded good. Tommy used to do some really cool drum solo's and he put on a good show.

I have "Kickstart my Heart" and "Dr. Feelgood" on my workout iPod playlist.

The problem with '80s glam metal is that somewhere along the way, the bar was lowered dramatically for what constituted good hard rock. I don't know if all the focus was on Madonna and Janet Jackson and Duran Duran or what, but it's almost like anything passed for rock and roll for a while. Then Soundgarden and Pearl Jam hit the scene and reminded us what rock and roll was again. Nirvana did too, but I hate Nirvana.

Reactions: Ehilbert1

Ehilbert1

Ooh-Rah!!!!
Oct 13, 2008
Columbus, OH
I have "Kickstart my Heart" and "Dr. Feelgood" on my workout iPod playlist.

The problem with '80s glam metal is that somewhere along the way, the bar was lowered dramatically for what constituted good hard rock. I don't know if all the focus was on Madonna and Janet Jackson and Duran Duran or what, but it's almost like anything passed for rock and roll for a while. Then Soundgarden and Pearl Jam hit the scene and reminded us what rock and roll was again. Nirvana did too, but I hate Nirvana.

Yea I feel the same way. I was more into the metal scene back then. Metallica, Slayer, Danzig. I grew up on that stuff. There are a few "hair metal" songs I like too. I just never got that into it. I remember when the grundge thing hit. I was obsessed with Alice in Chains. Still love em!

Sent from my Galaxy S4

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
One hair band I always liked was Cinderella. If for no other reason than 'Gypsy Road.'

Tommy Lee is alright, I'm not a big Motley Crue fan save for 1 or 2 songs, and he doesn't belong on this list.

Carter Beauford i'd agree with, also Max Weinberg from the E Street Band.

Casual Fan

Surprisingly nice
Oct 14, 2008
Roanoke, VA
Yea I feel the same way. I was more into the metal scene back then. Metallica, Slayer, Danzig. I grew up on that stuff. There are a few "hair metal" songs I like too. I just never got that into it. I remember when the grundge thing hit. I was obsessed with Alice in Chains. Still love em!

Sent from my Galaxy S4

Hell yeah, Alice in Chains. We nearly blew up my stereo my sophomore year of college playing "Facelift" at unholy volumes, and at all hours of the night. They're playing my town soon, but without Layne Staley...meh.

Metallica was kind of a one-trick pony until "...And Justice for All," when they got more melodic. When Kirk hit those bluesy notes in the jam toward the end of "One," they were on to something. And the black album is very melodic. "Enter Sandman" has a great twangy riff.

Reactions: Ehilbert1