Great Finish or Great Race?

dpkimmel2001

Nov 6, 2008
PA
So..... I hear a bunch of calls and read posts on other forums about how great this race was. Was it really? Was it really a great race or a great finish. Is it the racing that stands out this past weekend or was it the dramatic finish? Could it have simply been NASCAR's 'bad boy' crashes out on the last lap that made this a great race? Would everyone feel the same had it been Mark Martin into the wall at the end? Some weeks back, I remember another race ending in a similar fashion and many people were ready to reconfigure the track. Why is it different this week?

Sirius01_8

Oct 14, 2008
Probably b/c the car that got spun didn't go flying into the catch fence, just hit the wall, hard, but nonetheless just hit the wall.

tsschmitten

Nov 13, 2008
Max Meadows,VA
I believe it was the great finish, but it does not make the race! 2 people basically dominated the race, sort of a non-descript race until the end. The question I have is would have Mark Martin made that same move, 2007 him and Harvick barely touched. Busch had the same option to race him back to the line. I really wonder how long these guy's will continue to try and make that double blocking move and wrecking themselves? The one thing that stood out about that race is that now Daytona now looks more like a 2 mile/1.5 mile track that is about the handling more than the draft!

Calypso

Queen Calypso
Apr 29, 2009
carsandcombat.com
Mark Martin would NEVER in my opinion make the move Kyle did.. He would do his best to win it clean. That is just the type of racer Mark it...

I think it was a good race overall... The top 4 were pretty strong most of the day but I have to say I think Tony totally deserved it out of anyone out there, he hardly left the top 5 most of the day which isn't easy at Daytona with all the drafting... And to come out of the pits 7 for 7 in 1st is just amazing...

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN
Mark Martin would NEVER in my opinion make the move Kyle did.. He would do his best to win it clean. That is just the type of racer Mark it...

And that is why Mark didn't win the 2007 Daytona 500. He didn't take that chance of moving up in front of Harvick. Instead he decided to stay in front of Kyle and when Kyle tried to move up, he hit Kenseth and wrecked the field going into turn 4.

mghtx

2000 Man
Oct 23, 2008
Well, first I don't like plate races...and second, just like 'dega, I think the start/finish line should be in a different spot.

The new double-file restart sure helped the race, but even in the end nascar threw that caution with like 13 laps to go.

And I believe most people will say it was a great race just because Kyle crashed. That's just how it is right now. :cool:

Calypso

Queen Calypso
Apr 29, 2009
carsandcombat.com
Yeah some people live to see crashes.. I am sure there are some fans out there that are only fans for the crashes....

I will quote what I said in another thread on here my feelings towards it all...

I am afraid it is going to come down to someone getting seriously injured or even worse killed before Nascar puts a stop to this blocking crap.. Indy racing does not allow blocking and it's about time Nascar follow along...

Same goes with the safety response team at the tracks, my god it took over 10 seconds for them to get to Kerry Earnhardt when he went up in flames on Friday night and had a hard time getting out.. I know 10 seconds does not sound like a lot but it is.... Specially for the drivers in that car... Again something different with Indy racing, they have their own response team that travels with them and knows everything medical and beyond with all the Indy drivers and most importantly they are pulled up and out of the safety truck before the crash driver even comes to a stop.. Nascar still has alot of work to do to catch up and make Nascar racing alot safer... And it just annoys me when I hear koodo's to Nascar for coming up with these Hans devices and the safer barriers and such as if they were the ones to start it.. Give me a Break..

Ok rant over....lol

Calypso

Queen Calypso
Apr 29, 2009
carsandcombat.com
The new double-file restart sure helped the race, but even in the end nascar threw that caution with like 13 laps to go.

Don't forget tho there was a caution on lap 152 and that was not for debris... That was the final caution of the race.

Last edited:

mghtx

2000 Man
Oct 23, 2008
Another thing.....

Daytona needs to redo that surface....my god those cars were bouncing so much it's a wonder they could hold it in the corners. :eek:

Calypso

Queen Calypso
Apr 29, 2009
carsandcombat.com
I know Nascar like to through out these cautions for debris that we can't see or they don't show us or it isn't even there but, do you truly believe that they would wreak somewhere on the track at Daytona near the finish to get a spot closer, it just may have happened further back... And with that being said we would have had a clean finish if Kyle hadn't gone up to block Tony after Tony was already there and maybe that is the spotters fault, maybe that is Kyles fault but the fact being that last lap crash I do not believe it was Nascars doings.... They still had another caution after that one... Was the last caution only because of the fake debris, maybe maybe not.. No one will ever know that.

Snoozer

Oct 13, 2008
Canada Eh!
Its Kyles fault for blocking but who can blame him for trying to defend his position?
That being said, he has no right what so ever to be mad at Tony because as we've seen in that past that if you're going to block at a plate race on the last lap there is a good chance you'll end up wrecked.

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN
You mean to tell me that NaSCAR can't sent a track worker out onto the track to pick up the debris after the field goes by? :scratch:

:shock:

Not even with a reflector vest on? :right:
Posted via Mobile Device

Calypso

Queen Calypso
Apr 29, 2009
carsandcombat.com
Its Kyles fault for blocking but who can blame him for trying to defend his position?
That being said, he has no right what so ever to be mad at Tony because as we've seen in that past that if you're going to block at a plate race on the last lap there is a good chance you'll end up wrecked.

I totally agree.. And I can't say for sure that Kyle was mad at Tony or just mad at himself.. If he didn't see what happened as his own doings then I don't know what to say.. Carl saw his at Dega and didn't even attempt to put the blame off on Brad.

Snoozer

Oct 13, 2008
Canada Eh!
You mean to tell me that NaSCAR can't sent a track worker out onto the track to pick up the debris after the field goes by? :scratch:

Posted via Mobile Device

sticky-hands.jpg

Reactions: semipenguin

gilpdawg

Oct 12, 2008
New Paris, OH

Posted via Mobile Device
Bad idea. What if the guy trips and falls or something?

mghtx

2000 Man
Oct 23, 2008
I don't blame Kyle for being mad.....he came so close after fighting so hard for so long. He'll get over it I expect.

I wonder though, if Tony had not won, if he would have said something about that caution.

dpkimmel2001

Nov 6, 2008
PA
I wonder though, if Tony had not won, if he would have said something about that caution.

I'm not so sure that debris caution with 15 to go that meant anything. The top 4 were Stewart, Busch, Hamlin, & Johnson. There was another caution with 9 to go when Speed and Allmendinger crashed. They restarted with 5 to go. With 2 to go the top 4 were Stewart, Busch, Hamlin, & Johnson. Basically 2 late cautions didn't change anything with respect to the leaders of the race.

DexterMorgan

Oct 22, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
I'm not so sure that debris caution with 15 to go that meant anything. The top 4 were Stewart, Busch, Hamlin, & Johnson. There was another caution with 9 to go when Speed and Allmendinger crashed. They restarted with 5 to go. With 2 to go the top 4 were Stewart, Busch, Hamlin, & Johnson. Basically 2 late cautions didn't change anything with respect to the leaders of the race.

Yeah but instead of the front 4 cars fighting itself out by themselves, you had the front 4 cars fighting themselves out with everyone on their tail. Kyle Busch may still have wrecked and everything but they wouldnt of piled up 10 other cars. WIthout that caution Scott Speed wouldnt of wrecked.

That phantom caution was just another example of the scumbag blood suckers who run this shitshow to have their sportcenter finish. They dont give a crap about saftey, they never have.