Ford Sync future Apps

Discussion in 'OEM Infotainment Systems' started by TSS Taylor, Jan 28, 2013.

1. TSS Taylor

TSS Taylor DRC Fan

Looking at all this stuff on UConnect and Ford Sync makes me jealous. I have the Cadillac CUE system but at this time there are no known apps for it.

Here is a look at some future apps for the Sync Platform including what looks like Wall Street Journal, USA Today, Kaliki, Amazon Cloud Player, Aha Radio, Rhapsody, Greater Media, Glympse, and BeCouply.

They already have Pandora, Stitcher, NPR, and Scout navigation.
    [ame="www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtQ9qkhaOQ8"]Ford Press Conference: Sync Apps - CES 2013 - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited: Jan 28, 2013
  2. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

I didn't realize you could load apps onto these things. Now I'm jealous too.
    One of the jobs I'm looking at would have a 30 minute commute. I'd consider getting a hybrid and would definitely look at one with the Sync.

I was playing with one on the C-Max at the auto show, and it was pretty slick.

3. I purchased my 2011 Lincoln MKX on the promise that it could do these apps, yet none of these apps are supported. I keep being told that a software update will come that will enable these apps to work on my Lincoln Touch system, yet that update never comes.

I get a new car every two years so I will be looking for a new car which can do things like TuneIn, Pandora etc. I am VERY disapointed in the MyFordTouch product.

4. TX WJ

TX WJ Intelligent Donkey

My 2013 Fusion will be here in the next 30 days. I have Slacker and Spotify, the first one to get on board will stay, the other is toast.

5. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

Will it be a data account through your car (specifically) or will you use your phone? I've never been quite sure how that works.

6. Jon

Jon Well-Known Member

With wifi at least optional on some new models, it wouldn't surprise me if that had something to do with it.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

7. TSS Taylor

TSS Taylor DRC Fan

From what I've seen most just connect to your phone via Bluetooth and use the phones data. Some systems like the UConnect allows you to use the car as a wifi hotspot for about $30 a month.

8. TSS Taylor

TSS Taylor DRC Fan

First, the 2013 Fusion is slick as hell. I love the styling and Aston Martin like front end. My friends have one but didn't get any of the good gadgets in it since it was a base version. I really was considering a 2013 Fusion Hybrid.

But back on the topic of Apps, here is a story that confirms what myself and Scott G have said. The Apps need to be developed.

GM, Ford to Developers: Build Apps For Our Cars - Popular Mechanics

9. TX WJ

TX WJ Intelligent Donkey

Here is my email to Slacker and their reply

Frank ******** (Slacker Radio)
    Jan 28 15:36 (PST)

Slacker is currently support with Ford AppSync with the latest version of the Slacker app for iOS.

George *******
    Jan 28 07:17 (PST)

Are you guys working on a ford sync application. I am about to take delivery of a 2013 fusion and pandora is built in.

10. TSS Taylor

TSS Taylor DRC Fan

Looking forward to you getting the car and trying the app. When you get it would you be willing to do an in depth post about the car and it's features as well as the Slacker app? That's really what we are going for in this section.

Anytime I've played with the Pandora app via Bluetooth in my Cadillac with the Pandora interface it has connection issues. Which I don't get with using Bluetooth for phone calls.

11. TX WJ

TX WJ Intelligent Donkey

I will when I get it.

12. TX WJ

TX WJ Intelligent Donkey

Well I have had my car a week now and I can tell you that Slackers as well in the car as the built in Sirius Radio does. The only downside is that you have to have the iPhone plugged into the car via the USB ti iPhone cable in order for the name and artist to appear on the screen.

Slacker will work via Bluetooth streaming but you don't get Artist . Song Title.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

With Slacker adding ABC News and ESPN I can tell you that Sirius XM is in trouble. I hope Slacker is able to add some more Talk / News Content.

13. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

So it's an app in the stereo that knows how to read Slacker and whatnot?

If you stream SXM, will it display it that way too?

14. TX WJ

TX WJ Intelligent Donkey

I don't know, I don't subscribe to Sirius XM, I have lifetime and it doesn't include iPhone streaming

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk so give me a break!